sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2018 3:22 pm  #1

Are Mobile-First Media Companies It?

Below is an article from The Hollywood Reporter. Snapchat has announced major funding for start-up mobile-first media companies. This will further open up how content is made, with a ripple effect eventually felt by the old school media establishment.

thr.cm/fLtUfJ

* I did copy the link correctly, and have no idea why it's not working, the article is worth reading 🤔

Last edited by betaylored (May 23, 2018 3:31 pm)

May 23, 2018 3:45 pm  #2

Re: Are Mobile-First Media Companies It?

betaylored wrote:

thr.cm/fLtUfJ
* I did copy the link correctly, and have no idea why it's not working, the article is worth reading 🤔

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/snapchat-launches-accelerator-mobile-first-media-companies-1114331

May 23, 2018 4:07 pm  #3

cGrant wrote:

betaylored wrote:

thr.cm/fLtUfJ

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/snapchat-launches-accelerator-mobile-first-media-companies-1114331

*I didn't copy the link correctly and cGrant thanks!!! 🤗

After reading it, the question remains where all the creative, fresh blood that could invigorate and help traditional media move forward will come from. If this outlet for energy and talent takes off and is successful, will it impact "regular" media? Casey Neistat made a show for HBO, but found YouTube and never looked back.

Last edited by betaylored (May 23, 2018 4:23 pm)

May 23, 2018 5:29 pm  #4

Irvine wrote:

They'll do what they've did for the past 20 years; as little as possible.  Now the cheap way out is using some other app versus creating your own for a one touch click.  Can't be spending that extra 10 grand when you can cut costs.  

My preference is to have ONE master app for my radio listening demands. Something like a TuneIn (my choice), RadioPlayer Canada or the veritable plethora of aggregate apps out there. I don't need all the bloatware that comes from installing dozens of individual apps and the battery draining demands of each.

May 23, 2018 6:37 pm  #5

Irvine wrote:

The typical listener is going to stream their fav station and not likely change it. You're maybe at the gym or working and the stream stays on 

BULLSHITE.     the typical listener is either in a vehicle or if at a gym has a remote to move to their 2nd/3rd/etc fave station as soon as a commercial cluster comes on

May 23, 2018 6:50 pm  #6

...but the ultimate question is, will Rogers etc give in and fully restore the days of unlimited data usage??
Without that, the AM/FM radio is the place to be.
Why use the internet for radio (on your phone) when the radio is free? 
Why pay for excess data usage in the first place? It just doesn't make any sense.

I only pay $50 a month to run my smart phone, but I only have 500mb of data.
There are some suckers out there paying over $100 for 10G of data, which may or may not be enough data to serve as an alternative to listening to terrestrial radio. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 23, 2018 11:25 pm  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

will Rogers etc give in and fully restore the days of unlimited data usage??
but I only have 500mb of data.
There are some suckers out there paying over $100 for 10G of data

Yes, because us "suckers" ONLY use our cell data to listen to "terrestrial radio".  Did you know it also can be used to get work done? Like write emails, review/edit documents, upload IVT voicers, etc, etc, etc. Us "suckers" can also tether that data connection to our laptops to get work done. Hell, your mere 500mb wouldn't even be enough for me day 1 of my billing cycle for the work I get done during my morning movement on the toilet. And, it's all a business deduction. Every last byte. You see, people have to think outside the box that the Waters family created, here in 1957.

And, when, exactly, did Rogers ever offer mobile data that was in an unlimited bundle available to non-corporate accounts?

Why use data for radio when AM/FM is free? How about underground, along Toronto's PATH? Or listening to distant signals? Many of Chinatown's Dundas Street Massage parlours have interference with reception; especially the unlicensed, full-service ones.

May 24, 2018 1:21 am  #8

Data transfer is kind of a moot point.  I took a look at some of the streams I have and they run from a low of 14MB to 44MB per hour.  If you streamed 8 hours/day  5 days/week for 4 weeks you would only hit about 7GB of data at the top end.

Consider that a lot of that could be through WiFi where you're much less restricted with your data usage, and you see my point.

May 24, 2018 5:55 am  #9

ONEIL wrote:

Irvine wrote:

It's easy to change stations in a car.  It's less easy on a smart phone on a treadmill or while working.  

Ya...I'd like to see them. 

That was my entire point; old-fashioned, conventional radio listened to in a car or if elsewhere, with a remote handy.      Oneil gets it.

geo

May 24, 2018 11:09 am  #10

I listen to radio on Twitter.

The start of this thread proves how unskilled I am with a lot of technology, but if you follow a radio station, host, or specific radio show on Twitter, you're a finger touch away from listening live, or going back later on, and finding the reroll of a segment, or a whole hour 'podcast' available to listen to.

It doesn't require any great amount of data. I have 6G for $35.00 a month through chatr which is Rogers, and this lasts me about ten days, but even using the slower speed I'm left with, after the 6G's, I can listen to radio on Twitter with little buffering.

Twitter is underused by Toronto radio. TSN gets it right, with their TSN1050 Leafs Lunch and OverDrive shows available live on Twitter, and immediately after airing, on Twitter and podcast. A single station advertiser is plugged once or twice, and the bills get paid.

I'd love to listen to John Moore's "Conversations" and Jerry Agar's "Touchdown and Fumbles" on Twitter once a week. If there are other stations/shows with a strong Twitter presence, maybe I have missed 'em. The iHeart radio app is a pain in the tocas, wastes data I want for other things, and when I did try, the buffering spoiled it. (By the way, calling the new iHeart app "2.0" is crummy branding. "2.0" sounds retro, and OG)

Every station could do what TSN is, depending on their format obviously. Twitter is the world's water cooler for everything, and there's not a simpler way to share your content, and build your listening audience.

May 24, 2018 11:13 am  #11

geo wrote:

ONEIL wrote:

Irvine wrote:

It's easy to change stations in a car.  It's less easy on a smart phone on a treadmill or while working.  

Ya...I'd like to see them. 

That was my entire point; old-fashioned, conventional radio listened to in a car or if elsewhere, with a remote handy.      Oneil gets it.

No. You conveniently grabbed ahold to the one person mildly agreeing with your "point". Unfortunately, his post does not prove he "gets" your point. Irvine indicated those on treadmills etc cannot easily change channels. People lifting weights do not hold onto or carry a "remote". Irvine's point stand. Nice try, though.

May 24, 2018 11:18 am  #12

betaylored wrote:

The iHeart radio app is a pain in the tocas, wastes data I want for other things, and when I did try, the buffering spoiled it..

EXACTLY my point about having an aggregate radio app instead of one app per station. Yes, the iHeart app _could_ be considered an aggregate app, but it is limited to their own branded stations. Those things are laced with bloatware, sucking data left, right and centre. TuneIn etc, have a very slim footprint and very efficient on the data meter.

May 24, 2018 12:32 pm  #13

IRVINE wrote: "No one sits around listening to skip, pulling in distance AM stations..."

With respect, I beg to differ. Just last week I was at home just north of Toronto, listening to 1430 KZQZ St. Louis on my AOR7000, when some marketing pro dialled me to ask what radio stations I listen to. Imagine the look on her face when I replied that I was listening right at that very moment to The Planet's 50,000-watt Golden Oldies Flamethrower!

And that's on an analog set. But, just so you know, I'm keeping up with the times. I've just ordered the computer that will go with my new ELAD S2 digital receiver, which can record the ENTIRE AM band at once (and more). Dang it, I'll need a few TB storage units to handle all that.

Last edited by Saul (May 24, 2018 12:32 pm)

May 24, 2018 12:44 pm  #14

ONEIL wrote:

All you and cGrant have offered are opinions not facts.  Both of you have never worked in radio or TV but you're hell bent on teaching us old folks whyt we were so wrong but at the same time quite successful.  But that's what people who have never worked in a industry become..."experts"    

Jeff, EXCUSE THE HELL OUT OF ME?! I have and still am working in radio. Don't pretend to analyse me! The reason I have survived, is because I adapt to change. I embrace it and don't whine about how crap the biz is. Thank you.

And, I'm not hell bent on telling you how you WERE (your word) all wrong. You were right, for the time. You were successful, at the time. Heck, you still might be, I don't know. What my stance is times have changed. What made you a success in the past, MAY not work today. That's neither your fault nor doing. My issue is people on here refusing to change with the times and complaining that it's the business's fault. Sir, with respect, there is a difference.

Last edited by cGrant (May 24, 2018 12:54 pm)

May 24, 2018 12:48 pm  #15

Saul wrote:

IRVINE wrote: "No one sits around listening to skip, pulling in distance AM stations..."

With respect, I beg to differ. Just last week I was at home just north of Toronto, listening to 1430 KZQZ St. Louis on my AOR7000 

Saul, with respect, you can differ with the original opinion, but let's be honest here. Do you truthfully believe that what you're doing is the norm by the TYPICAL listener? Seriously? Do you see millennials running to their non-existent Radio Shack, buying said equipment and sitting there doing what you're doing? I'm pretty sure they are not.

May 24, 2018 2:52 pm  #16

cGrant wrote: "with respect, you can differ with the original opinion, but let's be honest here. Do you truthfully believe that what you're doing is the norm by the TYPICAL listener? Seriously? Do you see millennials running to their non-existent Radio Shack, buying said equipment and sitting there doing what you're doing? I'm pretty sure they are not."

Want to know why Hell never froze over? That's because I never went anywhere near Radio Shack. Even yesterday, that place was so yesterday. If you absolutely have to kick the tires before you buy, retailers like Durham Radio and Radio World will hold your hand so you won't have any trigger episodes of trips you made to RS. Anyhow, today's young, savvy generation shops online. 

May 24, 2018 2:57 pm  #17

Saul wrote:

cGrant wrote: "with respect, you can differ with the original opinion, but let's be honest here. Do you truthfully believe that what you're doing is the norm by the TYPICAL listener? Seriously? Do you see millennials running to their non-existent Radio Shack, buying said equipment and sitting there doing what you're doing? I'm pretty sure they are not."

Want to know why Hell never froze over? That's because I never went anywhere near Radio Shack. Even yesterday, that place was so yesterday. If you absolutely have to kick the tires before you buy, retailers like Durham Radio and Radio World will hold your hand so you won't have any trigger episodes of trips you made to RS. Anyhow, today's young, savvy generation shops online. 

Agreed, Sir. But, my point to you, Sir, is " Do you see millennials, buying equipment and sitting there doing what you're doing? I'm pretty sure they are not."

Radio Shook or online, the young'uns are not dissecting, Dx'ing or micro analysing the radio spectrum, regardless of where, what, when or who the equipment they use. 

May 24, 2018 3:21 pm  #18

cGrant wrote: "Agreed, Sir. But, my point to you, Sir, is " Do you see millennials, buying equipment and sitting there doing what you're doing? I'm pretty sure they are not."
Radio Shook or online, the young'uns are not dissecting, Dx'ing or micro analysing the radio spectrum, regardless of where, what, when or who the equipment they use."

I can only imagine what it must be like to think of all the money you spent at Rat Shack on all those fancy boat anchors and silly-looking arrays that could barely pick up your locals. At the risk of triggering further bad memories, I will point out the obvious to you ... the landscape is simply littered with young geeks who do a much better job dissecting and micro-analysing the radio spectrum than any of us - you and me included - ever did in the Golden Age of Radio. Hell, they're bloody designing the bloody equipment we use. Sheesh...

May 24, 2018 3:53 pm  #19

Saul wrote:

cGrant wrote: "Agreed, Sir. But, my point to you, Sir, is " Do you see millennials, buying equipment and sitting there doing what you're doing? I'm pretty sure they are not."
Radio Shook or online, the young'uns are not dissecting, Dx'ing or micro analysing the radio spectrum, regardless of where, what, when or who the equipment they use."

I can only imagine what it must be like to think of all the money you spent at Rat Shack on all those fancy boat anchors and silly-looking arrays that could barely pick up your locals. At the risk of triggering further bad memories, I will point out the obvious to you ... the landscape is simply littered with young geeks who do a much better job dissecting and micro-analysing the radio spectrum than any of us - you and me included - ever did in the Golden Age of Radio. Hell, they're bloody designing the bloody equipment we use. Sheesh...

OMG, Saul! My use of the term "Radio Shack" was for illustrative purposes only. Your assumption that I was one of their regulars is, with respect, false. "Radio Shack" FFS is a moot point. Let's, somehow, stick to the actual issue of which I am responding to you. This "simply littered" landscape of young geeks that are mapping the minutiae nuance of the nanomatters of radio simply exists whilst sleeping on a MyPillow pillow. I challenge you, Sir, to point me to the community of young'uns that are doing what you suggest. I will personally sincerely and wholeheartedly apologize for my ignorance on this clandestine sub-set of the Fifth Order of the Sacred Immuninati, wearing only a bra and thong at City Hall in Windsor Ontario with a "unions sucks" tattoo close to my bathing-suit area. 

May 24, 2018 5:07 pm  #20

Irvine wrote:

If they're buying stuff from Radio Shack it's a cool trick.  The corp went out of business in 2015. I guess that's cause they focused too much on selling radios *LOL* 

Irvine, including "you know who" and his multiple aliases on this board, I believe I'll be adding a couple more posters to "troll" status. They relish circular logic, and, when challenged, they create more loops that enable additional circular logic. I'm not really in the mood to entertain their playfulness, frankly. When I clarify my point THREE times and they "don't get it", honestly, they are wasting my time and superior intelligence and experience. Automatically, when someone posts "you don't know - you weren't there or have experience", I immediately know they lost the plot of the notion. In turn, I know they lost the argument and choose to toy with me like I am the cat and they are the tuna-covered mice they truly reveal themselves to be.

May 24, 2018 5:12 pm  #21

cGrant wrote:

cGrant wrote: My use of the term "Radio Shack" was for illustrative purposes only. Your assumption that I was one of their regulars is, with respect, false. "Radio Shack" FFS is a moot point. Let's, somehow, stick to the actual issue of which I am responding to you. This "simply littered" landscape of young geeks that are mapping the minutiae nuance of the nanomatters of radio simply exists whilst sleeping on a MyPillow pillow. I challenge you, Sir, to point me to the community of young'uns that are doing what you suggest. I will personally sincerely and wholeheartedly apologize for my ignorance on this clandestine sub-set of the Fifth Order of the Sacred Immuninati, wearing only a bra and thong at City Hall in Windsor Ontario with a "unions sucks" tattoo close to my bathing-suit area. 

They're everywhere. Where have you been hiding? The ratings for WWL, KMOX and WLVL are simply through the roof. More to the point, I don't know what the hell you have planned, but please leave the City of Windsor alone. Or at least tell your therapist.

May 24, 2018 5:23 pm  #22

Saul wrote:

They're everywhere. Where have you been hiding? The ratings for WWL, KMOX and WLVL are simply through the roof

This is your absolute last chance with me. You claim the "ratings for WWL, KMOX and WLVL are simply through the roof" and IMPLY it's due to millennials surfing from THIS area for signals. Please provide FAA-approved triangulation ratings proving your hypothesis. Certainly, you can see you have argued yourself into an absurd corner. If you cannot, welcome to my blocklist. Enjoy your dwelling under that bridge that "you know who" has a lifetime residency.

May 25, 2018 2:13 pm  #23

cGrant wrote:

Saul wrote:

With respect, I beg to differ. Just last week I was at home just north of Toronto, listening to 1430 KZQZ St. Louis on my AOR7000 

Saul, with respect, you can differ with the original opinion, but let's be honest here. Do you truthfully believe that what you're doing is the norm by the TYPICAL listener? Seriously? Do you see millennials running to their non-existent Radio Shack, buying said equipment and sitting there doing what you're doing? I'm pretty sure they are not.

I honestly don't think typical radio listeners ever got into seeking out nighttime AM bounce etc. at any point in time, millennial or before.  Personally, I'd be happy if millennials would go to Radio Shack or The Source or Best Buy or wherever and buy a damn alarm clock so they can actually wake up and get to work on time.  But I guess that's another old fashioned value right there by the standards of today.

May 25, 2018 2:17 pm  #24

Plate Voltage wrote:

Personally, I'd be happy if millennials would ..... buy a damn alarm clock so they can actually wake up and get to work on time.  But I guess that's another old fashioned value right there by the standards of today.

Yes, that is "another old fashioned value right there by the standards of today". Millennials (and, frankly myself) have their universe inside their cell. That's what they use to wake-up. Buying another piece of antiquated tech certainly will not ensure promptness. 

May 25, 2018 6:33 pm  #25

The current gap in delivery of a radio show is plain to see (hear) when it comes to the way TSN supports their content on Twitter.

The hour long segments available of their afternoon show "OverDrive" aren't connected to the iHeart radio app, but Futuri media, which works beautifully. The live streaming ... nope.

Is it expensive to do what TSN is doing currently? Why doesn't Newstalk 1010 do the same thing with their main shows.

It would be a welcome addition to Twitter to have Corus make some of their line-ups rerolls available. More Stafford I say.

May 25, 2018 6:57 pm  #26

betaylored wrote:

More Stafford I say.

More? Where's he now? On the low-rated station co-hosted with an amateur teeny-bopper doing the exact show he didn't want. Pity. A figure of his stature deserved more than being exiled to nothingness.  And his replacement? Gawd. That Hospital Gurney "ums" and "ahs" for the majority of his "show" and the few call segments he actually takes, is surprised at the response and apologizes to his bored bunny of all the work he's creating for her. That's her damn job. Damn. The sole reason to listen to that "also-ran" station has deteriorated to this? Corus: I hope this waste of a frequency is worth your tax write-off.

May 25, 2018 9:03 pm  #27

Saul wrote:

IWith respect, I beg to differ. Just last week I was at home just north of Toronto, listening to 1430 KZQZ St. Louis on my AOR7000, when some marketing pro dialled me to ask what radio stations I listen to. Imagine the look on her face when I replied that I was listening right at that very moment to The Planet's 50,000-watt Golden Oldies Flamethrower!

And that's on an analog set. But, just so you know, I'm keeping up with the times. I've just ordered the computer that will go with my new ELAD S2 digital receiver, which can record the ENTIRE AM band at once (and more). Dang it, I'll need a few TB storage units to handle all that.

What's really cool is that when 960-CKNT, 1220-Grapevine Radio and 1350 Humsafar sign on the air (if they ever do), you'll be able to set your ELAD to record them while you sleep in and you'll be able to compare their morning drive programs at your leisure.

You could even listen to 1150-CKOC at the same time as CKNT, Grapevine R. and R. Humsafar and boost CKOC's share from 0.1 to 0.115.   

May 27, 2018 9:18 am  #28

cGrant wrote:

Plate Voltage wrote:

Personally, I'd be happy if millennials would ..... buy a damn alarm clock so they can actually wake up and get to work on time.  But I guess that's another old fashioned value right there by the standards of today.

Yes, that is "another old fashioned value right there by the standards of today". Millennials (and, frankly myself) have their universe inside their cell. That's what they use to wake-up. Buying another piece of antiquated tech certainly will not ensure promptness. 

Well, given the attendance and punctuality issues I and others have observed lately, the new tech clearly hasn't been working out so well to ensure promptness either.

May 28, 2018 5:30 pm  #29

Irvine wrote:

Plate Voltage wrote:

cGrant wrote:

Well, given the attendance and punctuality issues I and others have observed lately, the new tech clearly hasn't been working out so well to ensure promptness either.

Or maybe it's because YOU see that as important whereas Millennial's do not?  And maybe it's just the classic "these kids today..." thing?  Nothing says old white guy like calling down the kids of today for their habits & fashions ignoring your parents parents thought Jazz music was the devil and would cause teen pregnancy. 

Well, in a 24/7/365 shop, I do think it's important. So do the outgoing people at the end of their shifts who get stuck when someone shows up late or calls out at the last minute which leaves people stranded until a replacement can be found and get in, or pulling a double if not.

May 31, 2018 3:51 pm  #30

As a long time reader, first time poster I have gone the internet radio route to maintain my passion for Canadian Music and Broadcasting.  It has been a fair investment of time, cash and passion to get this off the ground and I am beginning to reap benefits for my efforts.  I started my radio career as a producer and board op and worked my way up to General Manager and General Sales Manager and enjoyed every forward step.  This project was my natural progression of station ownership and keeping a pulse on Canadian Music.  I have apps on Google and Apple and websites for my 2 (soon to be 6) stations focusing on Canadian Talent. I admire the passion that is shared on SOWNY and look forward to contributing again soon.