sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2018 9:02 am  #1

Cables continue to get cut!

An American report shows cable cutting is continuing to create woes for Cable providers...here is the latest report and stats showing a significant increase in consumers cutting the cord!

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cable-Has-Lost-34-Million-TV-Customers-Since-2012-141853

I expect the trends to be similar here in Canada...

Here is our latest poll to see if we are aligned with this recent study...

Have you cut your cable?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 22, 2018 12:51 pm  #2

Re: Cables continue to get cut!

Meanwhile, crews are busy laying fibre on my street.

Perhaps it's not so much "cutting" the cable rather than switching to a different type of cable.

As for me, I'm still tied to a satellite dish only because I have an investment in the hardware and the infrastructure throughout the house, although now that that hardware is getting long on the tooth, replacing it with some form of IPTV is something I can see happening sooner rather than later.

May 22, 2018 4:43 pm  #3

Cable is (albeit slowly) adapting to, yes, the word this board hates, "change". They are offering more on-demand channels, in addition to ye ole pay-per-view. Some cable co's are offering remote mobile viewing. As a Cogeco sub, I have TiVO, and with it, comes an incredible PVR (who, exactly, needs the ability to record EIGHT shows at once) and a mobile app that allows viewing/downloading of recorded and live fare. Add the CRTC-mandated "pick-and-pay" (something we should have had a long time ago), and we're getting some traction to this teattering tech.

I never understood what North America hasn't adapted to high-speed signals via hydro lines. Instead of multiple companies stringing up fiber outside my door, how about adapt a high-speed line that every house, INCLUDING rural has: hydro.

May 22, 2018 4:50 pm  #4

Irvine wrote:

They also need to stop trying to dictate what, when & where people watch things. 

What's wrong with product placement in the entertainment of the future? 
Why is it not being done now? 
Does it not generate any revenue? 
Those who are already watching on their own free time are mostly watching a device that makes the program commercial free.
If the program is creatively produced (not to be confused with infomercial or infotainment) 
I believe product placement can be very creatively done without distracting from the desire to watch the program.

People are not going to stop watching NCIS if a blank coffee cup suddenly has the Starbucks logo on it. 

Hey? I'm just throwing an idea out there for the future funding of entertainment. I don't claim to be correct...all I know is that the best quality entertainment isn't cheap. Any extra revenue helps.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 22, 2018 6:02 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

What's wrong with product placement in the entertainment of the future? 
Why is it not being done now? I believe product placement can be very creatively done without distracting from the desire to watch the program.
People are not going to stop watching NCIS if a blank coffee cup suddenly has the Starbucks logo on it.  

Uh, I'm not sure if you are being serious or not. Embedded Product Integration is already happening now. The FACT that you are not seeing it, proves it DOESN'T work, does it not?!

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/the-delicate-art-of-product-placement-advertising-38454

May 22, 2018 6:42 pm  #6

Only 3.4 million households in 6 years? That sounds really small for a country the size of the US.

May 22, 2018 9:28 pm  #7

At some point, media corporate types got greedy because they had a captive audience, pre internet, but the price of living has people saying it's not worth the money. Bundling services isn't fooling anyone.

Stafford used to hold master classes on his show with listeners calling in with tips on how to negotiate with your service provider to get the best deal, and play one against the other.

It's happened to many businesses that have raised prices too high, the customer says thanks, but no thanks. Leafs hockey tickets, a reasonable price for a good steak dinner, going to see a movie, concert tickets...

Last edited by betaylored (May 22, 2018 10:14 pm)

May 22, 2018 9:31 pm  #8

Irvine wrote:

The industry is run by old white men & no creature is more resistant to change than an old white man. They do not adapt well to change. 
Now, let's queue up the inevitable response where someone uses a rare example of network television winning just like my 99 year old uncle managed to smoke 2 packs a day and is healthy (clearly proof smoking doesn't cause lung cancer)  

So, based on the first snipped sentence above, the entire industry are regular posters here?

Why, none of this would happen if the Waters family still ran Chum and froze time in 1957. 

May 22, 2018 11:00 pm  #9

cGrant wrote:

Uh, I'm not sure if you are being serious or not. Embedded Product Integration is already happening now. 

I'm being very specific with shows that are high rated. 
NCIS is a fair example to use because it is a very high rated program.
ABBY is was given a large red cup of 'CAF POW"  as a reward for all her hard work.
(er, I mean as a bonus. She IS a paid NCIS employee in the program)
The cup NEVER EVER gives credit to 711 or circle K or AM PM or wherever it is actually sold.
Where such a beverage came from is indeed a mystery.
There is no such thing or I could just go to the store and buy myself one...

..and then there's Gibbs and his...not starbucks!

Gibbs? Close, but no cigar. Great product placement for the knock off Starbucks out there, maybe?

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 22, 2018 11:03 pm)

May 22, 2018 11:42 pm  #10

RW, I'm not clear what your point is exactly. Have you seen any of the judging shows like American Idol, X Factor, America's Got Talent? Look at the cups on the judge's table. And product placement has been in movies for decades. Ditto TV -- hell, The Flintstone's smoked a certain brand of cigarette.

May 23, 2018 12:24 am  #11

cGrant wrote:

RW, I'm not clear what your point is exactly. Have you seen any of the judging shows like American Idol, X Factor, America's Got Talent? Look at the cups on the judge's table. And product placement has been in movies for decades. Ditto TV -- hell, The Flintstone's smoked a certain brand of cigarette.

But why leave out NCIS etc? Why only the (already cheaper to produce) shows? 
You'd think that when a certain show is more costly to produce, they'd REALLY want that placement in there...

May 23, 2018 1:32 am  #12

Terry O'Reilly covered the subject beautifully in season four, ep.15 of the radio show Under The Influence. The episode is called "Show me the money, the world of product placement." Worth a listen, as they all are, the show talks about "Breaking Bad" amongst other shows, movies etc. He really gets into detail on the history, differences in cost, negotiation of how some deals went down, and unique bits of trivia it's fun to torture friends with later.

Last edited by betaylored (May 23, 2018 5:25 am)

May 28, 2018 6:17 pm  #13

How's this for product placement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYwFND7rHE

Last edited by nanosec (May 28, 2018 6:18 pm)

May 29, 2018 11:29 pm  #14

I am no longer a cable guy.  If only that could be said of 'larry',