sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2018 6:54 am  #1

Royal Ratings...

It will be curious to see what the Royal Wedding will get in terms of ratings, how many of us are still loyal to the Royals?

Personally, I could care less, however, I did peak in for a few moments on the CBC tele-cast only to find Peter Mansbridge co-hosting this event!

He truly is a professional in every sense of the word!

Now, let's do a mini poll ...did you watch the wedding or not? Please post your answers!

Now, where is my kleenex??? (I get so ferklempt at weddings)...

Cheers!

Did you watch the Royal Wedding this morning?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 19, 2018 9:09 am  #2

Re: Royal Ratings...

Yes I watched, well, parts of it. On YouTube. I tuned in to the royal family's official channel at first, it was complete coverage of the wedding without any blabbing, um.. commentary. Then because I wanted to see what the various stations were up to, I checked out Global ( Cheryl Hickey talking like she's had one Red Bull too many), and the CBC announcers (talking like they needed one Red Bull more.) I couldn't stand the faff and went back to the official royal family channel. Weddings are inherently boring for the most part anyway.

If you're interested in checking out a moment of the festivities, might I suggest the footage during the ceremony of many of the royals trying not to laugh during the lively sermon delivered by the african american preacher. It wasn't polite, and if anything gets discussed tomorrow on radio, and in the media about the wedding, it might be that.

The royal family channel had 6.5 million views so far when I was on YouTube.

A final note. The former Ms.Markle is now Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Sussex. I mention this because it's only a matter of time before one of the seedier papers gives the world the headline "Meghan: Duchess of 'ssex".

Last edited by betaylored (May 19, 2018 10:18 am)

May 19, 2018 10:10 am  #3

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

how many of us are still loyal to the Royals?    Personally, I could care less   

How much less?

K.

May 19, 2018 1:06 pm  #4

Turned on the TV just before 8:00 am to get some news...stupid me!

CNN, CNN Headline News, CTV News, CBC News and even CP24 (why if you wish to watch the coverage would you opt for the small screen?) were showing nothing but this.  Adding Global, CTV, CBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS (even TLC)  leaves you with overkill taken to a whole new level.  I ended up tuning in the 680 radio on the Netbox.

I am left speechless that in this day and age absolutely no attention was given to the rest of the news that we "regular" folks rely on for a period of multiple hours.

PS  I am not an anti-monarchist but simply hate the way broadcast media has become so celebrity and single topic focussed.  Sadly, this is by no means a new trend but today it was taken to a level I cant' recall in the past.

May 19, 2018 4:43 pm  #5

It was nice to see Peter Mansbridge grow a beard and come out of retirement, even if it was to hang out on facebook and just do a couple of 5 minute bits on the main network.

We watched the CBC coverage although I recorded the CTV coverage on the other PVR as a backup.  The reason we went with CBC is because we could pretty much count on them shutting the hell up during the ceremony proper, which they did.  From the moment the ceremony started to the end, the CBC said absolutely nothing.  

That's the reason I don't listen to press conferences on NT1010.  They have a tendency to interrupt the proceedings to tell me what I'm listening to and where I'm listening.

So my question, for those who may have perused U.S. coverage, is how did others who covered the wedding do in this regard?

May 19, 2018 5:07 pm  #6

CTV is reporting that Justin Trudeau has announced that Canada is donating $50k to the Canadian charity Jumpstart, in honor of the marriage of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Jumpstart helps disadvantaged children participate in sports.

$50k.... too much, or not enough. And who did he consult to see if this would be a good idea.

Last edited by betaylored (May 19, 2018 5:08 pm)

May 19, 2018 5:27 pm  #7

Media Observer wrote:

Turned on the TV just before 8:00 am to get some news...stupid me!

CNN, CNN Headline News, CTV News, CBC News and even CP24 (why if you wish to watch the coverage would you opt for the small screen?) were showing nothing but this.  Adding Global, CTV, CBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS (even TLC)  leaves you with overkill taken to a whole new level.  I ended up tuning in the 680 radio on the Netbox.

I am left speechless that in this day and age absolutely no attention was given to the rest of the news that we "regular" folks rely on for a period of multiple hours.

PS  I am not an anti-monarchist but simply hate the way broadcast media has become so celebrity and single topic focussed.  Sadly, this is by no means a new trend but today it was taken to a level I cant' recall in the past.

=12pxSo true.  Covering the story that 3 billion people are watching at least part of on a Saturday morning when there isn't much other news is so irresponsible.  Find something that no one is interested in during that 4 hours and cover it, dammit!  Surely to god there was a city council meeting somewhere on planet earth last night.  I want to know about it at 8 am Saturday morning when the Royal Wedding is on!  Waiting until 10 is unacceptable!

May 19, 2018 5:35 pm  #8

It's a no-win situation.

How many times on this very board have we heard rants about the station in the GTA that didn't cover the all-important news story when every other outlet jumped on it?  The "importance" of a given news item is a totally arbitrary concept.  But perhaps, if it is indeed a big news story, might it be because it doesn't involve tragedy, mayhem and death?  Sometimes, we need a fairy tale with a happy ending.

May 19, 2018 6:00 pm  #9

Irvine wrote:

betaylored wrote:

CTV is reporting that Justin Trudeau has announced that Canada is donating $50k to the Canadian charity Jumpstart, in honor of the marriage of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Jumpstart helps disadvantaged children participate in sports.

$50k.... too much, or not enough. And who did he consult to see if this would be a good idea.

Well really if this is an issue to anyone it's time to repost that "old man Simpson waving at a cloud" meme.  Trudeau is just following protocol.

Trudeau chose a Canadian charity only. If he had made a donation to one of the British charities, with an equal donation to Jumpstart, then this would have been an elegant gesture worthy of the Prime Minister of Canada.

This way it seems like it's about him.

Re Peter the K's question about how the U.S. media covered it. ABC concentrated on the "Suits" angle, interviewing three cast members. PBS was very PBS. Some of the American media, and the public, are playing up the "blackness" (their word not mine) of the wedding service, and how this is a shift in the structure of society in general, if a descendant of slaves can marry into the royal family. (Again, their p.o.v. not mine)

Last edited by betaylored (May 19, 2018 6:04 pm)

May 19, 2018 6:27 pm  #10

Prod Guy wrote:

Covering the story that 3 billion people are watching at least part of on a Saturday morning when there isn't much other news is so irresponsible.  Find something that no one is interested in during that 4 hours and cover it, dammit!  Surely to god there was a city council meeting somewhere on planet earth last night.  I want to know about it at 8 am Saturday morning when the Royal Wedding is on!  Waiting until 10 is unacceptable! 

<sarcasm noted> Frankly, local city council actually affects me. The Royal wedding does not. Whatsoever.

And, what else is on at 7am on a Saturday morning? Cartoons? Infomercials? Shilled programming thinly veiled as real?

May 19, 2018 7:30 pm  #11

Trudeau chose a Canadian charity only. If he had made a donation to one of the British charities, with an equal donation to Jumpstart, then this would have been an elegant gesture worthy of the Prime Minister of Canada.

This way it seems like it's about him.

The Royals asked for donations in lieu of gifts...and one charity of preference was to be towards youth sports initiatives...I don't believe it was self-serving Trudeau's interests...in fact, here is more about the charities the Royal couple suggested to world leaders...

These causes include Chiva Projects, an organization helping kids dealing with AIDS; Crisis U.K., the national charity for homelessness; Corporal Scotty, a group for children of the armed forces; youth sports charity Street Games; the ocean conservation group Surfers Against Sewage; and Wilderness U.K., which gives urban youth access to the great outdoors.

http://time.com/5233117/meghan-markle-prince-harry-wedding-gifts/

I think a good news story is refreshing, I get tired of the reports of death, war, car accidents and shootings that I see on the news channels...then to make it worse, I got Harold the Jewellery Buyer hucking mortgages too!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (May 19, 2018 7:31 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 19, 2018 7:39 pm  #12

betaylored wrote:

The money did not come out of Justin's personal pocket. He "donated" on behalf of the country. Translation: tax dollars made the donation. Verdict = waste.

How dare the Royals "request" donations? They are wealthier than Jesus. All this pompous pomp, circumstance and "protocol" be damned. It's 2018 and some are genuflecting to people that are who they are out of a random chance of birth. Wow. What a damned accomplishment. Give me an effing break.

May 19, 2018 7:52 pm  #13

@ Prod Guy.

North Korea, Iran, Israel/Gaza, the Chinese Trade issues to name but a few.  International relations have never been more fluid and unpredictable in the last 20 years.  Given the different time zones,  I look to the morning news for updates on what may have occurred while we slept over here.  I'm sorry my interests and concerns regarding the lack of coverage, for the reasons I stated are so worthless and deserving of derision in your eyes.

May 19, 2018 8:29 pm  #14

If there were any companies or individuals that needed to hide in plain sight with a press release on an harrassment or stolen data issue, today would have been a good day to send whatever it was out to the media, and hope it gets lost.

I remember a radio host, it may have been John Moore, or Stafford, telling listeners how a few companies dumped bad or unflattering news to the media about their business, right after 9/11.

It could be possible to entirely miss a Canadian story, with the double whammy of our long weekend, and the wedding overseas.

May 19, 2018 8:36 pm  #15

I wonder if there would have been more interest here in the Royal Wedding if Meghan was somehow related to the Waters Family, Frank D'Angelo or Greg Carrasco? 

May 20, 2018 12:22 am  #16

Media Observer wrote:

@ Prod Guy.

North Korea, Iran, Israel/Gaza, the Chinese Trade issues to name but a few.  International relations have never been more fluid and unpredictable in the last 20 years.  Given the different time zones,  I look to the morning news for updates on what may have occurred while we slept over here.  I'm sorry my interests and concerns regarding the lack of coverage, for the reasons I stated are so worthless and deserving of derision in your eyes.

Not in my eyes.  In the eyes of every media outlet that covered a good news story at a time when most wouldn't have had news on anyway.  Maybe one day there will be a station strives to have no one watching and will counter program the thing that everyone wants to see.

May 20, 2018 1:17 am  #17

"Wouldn't have had news on anyway"?

That is the sole role of the five All-News outlets that I mentioned!  With the full coverage provided by the other regular outlets,  these five should have found the time to provide other news.

I joined this forum recently,  as I have enjoyed reading it for a few years and wanted to share the odd opinion.  The nature of these responses however, leads me to believe having no broadcast employment history myself; that perhaps it is better that I withdraw.

May 20, 2018 12:08 pm  #18

Media Observer wrote:

I joined this forum recently,  as I have enjoyed reading it for a few years and wanted to share the odd opinion 

You've come to the right place

K.

May 20, 2018 1:05 pm  #19

Kilgore wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

I joined this forum recently,  as I have enjoyed reading it for a few years and wanted to share the odd opinion 

You've come to the right place

K.

😂

Always good to see new people post on here Media Observer 😀

May 20, 2018 8:31 pm  #20

@ Kilgore and betaylored

Thank you for the supportive sentiments.  I shall remain a follower and occasional contributor. 

May 20, 2018 8:45 pm  #21

Frankly, I don't see why the CBC couldn't have just simulcast the BBC's commentary (or why CTV and Global couldn't have used ITN's or Sky's). Was it really necessary to fly over Canadian anchors just to tell us that there were Mulroneys involved?

May 20, 2018 9:19 pm  #22

Hansa wrote:

Frankly, I don't see why the CBC couldn't have just simulcast the BBC's commentary (or why CTV and Global couldn't have used ITN's or Sky's). Was it really necessary to fly over Canadian anchors just to tell us that there were Mulroneys involved?

I think it's a bit of a status thing, but mainly that as a media organization you have a presence, and your brand is also at a world event.

Plus, CBC is the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, so coverage was mandatory, Mansbridge-ory? ;)

May 20, 2018 10:15 pm  #23

Hansa wrote:

Homage to Ben?

May 20, 2018 10:28 pm  #24

Hansa wrote:

Frankly, I don't see why the CBC couldn't have just simulcast the BBC's commentary (or why CTV and Global couldn't have used ITN's or Sky's). Was it really necessary to fly over Canadian anchors  

betaylored wrote:

CBC is the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, so coverage was mandatory

"Mandatory"? Since when is some foreign wedding "mandatory"?

And, when your budget is funded by taxpayers, OF COURSE you'll fly over and cover it. Must be nice to perpetually suck at the teat of the taxpayer. NOT!!!

May 20, 2018 11:07 pm  #25

cGrant wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Frankly, I don't see why the CBC couldn't have just simulcast the BBC's commentary (or why CTV and Global couldn't have used ITN's or Sky's). Was it really necessary to fly over Canadian anchors  

betaylored wrote:

CBC is the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, so coverage was mandatory

"Mandatory"? Since when is some foreign wedding "mandatory"?

And, when your budget is funded by taxpayers, OF COURSE you'll fly over and cover it. Must be nice to perpetually suck at the teat of the taxpayer. NOT!!!

Well, the CBC is a 'Crown corporation'

(which I know in reality has zip to do with Liz and Co.)

Last edited by betaylored (May 20, 2018 11:20 pm)

May 21, 2018 12:10 am  #26

@betaylored.... liz is still technically our head of state...so stuff her family does should sorta impact us.  like buying kitchy commerative wedding plates or something.

harry can shave his playoff beard now that the jets are done... or does he cheer for the knights?

Last edited by splunge (May 21, 2018 12:15 am)

May 21, 2018 10:22 am  #27

splunge wrote:

@betaylored.... liz is still technically our head of state...so stuff her family does should sorta impact us.  like buying kitchy commerative wedding plates or something.

harry can shave his playoff beard now that the jets are done... or does he cheer for the knights?

well in his party days Harry was photographed at a Vegas rooftop pool party absolutely snackered, so he probably would keep the shredded wheat, and cheer 'em on.

(I grin every time I read the word 'splunge', then hear "Dinsdale" and "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" in my head.)

One of the more interesting things about sports radio now, is hearing the analysts talk about the Vegas Golden Knights (almost said London) season, and their path to the Stanley Cup final, and figuring out how the hell a franchise team in their inaugural year can pull this off.

Ray Ferraro, Bobby Mac, the three amigos on the OverDrive show (all TSN) plus Steve Dangle, Jesse and Adam on the SDP podcast, Hockey Central at Noon (Sportsnet) there are so many good hockey analysts with both Bell and Rogers.

Last edited by betaylored (May 21, 2018 10:35 am)

May 22, 2018 6:40 pm  #28

https://twitter.com/BillBriouxTV/status/999056643139629058

ROYAL WEDDING RATINGS IN CANADA: SAT ama o'nites CTV 4AM 743K 6:30AM 1457K 10AM 896K CBC 4AM - 10AM 748K GLO 4:30AM 156K 5:30AM 270K 7AM 567K 9-11AM 425K