sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Thu May 17 12:25 pm  #1


Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Which do you recommend & why, please & thankyew

K.

 

Thu May 17 12:34 pm  #2


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

I like Quantum (which is Firefox 57 and onwards).  You can still customize the rendering engine, if you're technically inclined), but the speed has increased quite a bit.  I'm a huge fan of WebRender which can utilize your graphics card to speed up page loading in Firefox Quantum 60.

Contrary to most, I am not a Chrome or Blink/WebKit fan (Vivaldi showed some promise, but new versions seem to exhibit slow downs)
 

Last edited by Jody Thornton (Thu May 17 6:36 pm)


Cheers,
Jody Thornton
 
 

Thu May 17 12:55 pm  #3


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Kilgore wrote:

Which do you recommend & why, please & thankyew

It depends on what type of porn you are searching for.  Some of the eastern European neo-tentacle orgy porn can only be accessed via Onion. Are you looking to hiding which gentleman's cinema you've been visiting from your spouse? It's difficult to give you a qualified answer without knowing what porn you're looking for. 😏
 

 

Thu May 17 1:55 pm  #4


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

cGrant wrote:

Kilgore wrote:

Which do you recommend & why, please & thankyew

It depends on what type of porn you are searching for. Some of the eastern European neo-tentacle orgy porn can only be accessed via Onion. Are you looking to hiding which gentleman's cinema you've been visiting from your spouse? It's difficult to give you a qualified answer without knowing what porn you're looking for. 😏
 

Real men use lynx aka links on Linux. It's a text only browser so no worries about hidden payloads & ascii porn *is* pretty hot in the right circumstances.

I use Firefox for most of my surfing because I understand it's inner workings and it's NOT Google. If you have a GMAIL and you log into Chrome it keeps a detailed history of where you surfed.  Really it's all about hardening the browser to begin with. 

PS cGrant.  The Onion browser is Firefox that's just hardened. For real privacy for your neo tentacle porn I'd suggest using TAILS Linux.  You boot up, it installs nothing and you can connect to your neighbors wireless and surf all you want.  No OS on the laptop required.  Once done though, do drop the old system off at the recyling deport in say..>Brampton.
 

 

Thu May 17 1:58 pm  #5


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Overall I like Chrome but it will follow you around if you know what I mean.
Very stable and renders all pages I go to well
 

 

Thu May 17 3:17 pm  #6


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Irvine: I grab a burner phone from the 7-11 in Koreatown, connect to a Cambodian VPN, and surf to my heart's content. Grab a good signal from the neighbors across the road and then snap the phone into two, crush it and drop it in a recycling bin a few blocks away. If it gets picked up, those people get the blame. It's also a good system to send death threats and leave trails back against all those that done me wrong. I'm so effing passive-aggressive.

 

Thu May 17 3:29 pm  #7


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

cGrant wrote:

Irvine: I grab a burner phone from the 7-11 in Koreatown, connect to a Cambodian VPN, and surf to my heart's content. Grab a good signal from the neighbors across the road and then snap the phone into two, crush it and drop it in a recycling bin a few blocks away. If it gets picked up, those people get the blame. It's also a good system to send death threats and leave trails back against all those that done me wrong. I'm so effing passive-aggressive.

There are actually guys who can be paid to go buy the phone for you so the Koreatown cameras (assuming they work) pick up the wrong guy.  I forget what the term is but Kevin Mitnick's recent book talks about it. It's called the Art of Invisibility. 

And remember cGrant, when using a phone for that ensure the phone uses MAC aliasing.  A company called Fortinet will tell you a story about how a guy showed up at a shopping mall one day and connected to the wireless. He checked his Facebook, shopped and left. Later he broke into the mall to steal something and his phone auto connected.  They pulled the logs, matched them up and found the suspect.  Airports, Zoo's, etc, all use wifi to watch traffic patterns of shoppers. Google uses it to tell you how fast the traffic is. 

 

Thu May 17 3:30 pm  #8


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

PS. I usually just go to KoreaTown to eat.

 

Thu May 17 3:47 pm  #9


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

You might like this article cGrant on tracking cell phones.  A company that does was recently hacked and the hacker dumped the information to a media outlet.  The comments in the bottom sort of demonstrate what you can do with the metadata and who is at risk. 

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/05/tracking-firm-locationsmart-leaked-location-data-for-customers-of-all-major-u-s-mobile-carriers-in-real-time-via-its-web-site/

 

Thu May 17 5:03 pm  #10


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

I switched to Chrome some years back after observing Firefox grabbing resources like a fat kid grabbing french fries. Now Chrome tends to do the same thing. Oh well.

IE/Edge is for chumps. I sometimes use Lynx to test just how compliant web sites are.

 

Thu May 17 9:57 pm  #11


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Porn runs smoother thru chrome. And that Cambodian VPN.

 

Fri May 18 5:08 am  #12


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Hard to find the words to express sufficient gratitude for all of the foregoing

     Thread Starter
 

Fri May 18 8:45 am  #13


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Kilgore wrote:

Hard to find the words to express sufficient gratitude for all of the foregoing

 
The above posts are the reverse of the trite saying "Ask a simple question, and you get a simple answer."

The technical info's useful, the criminal/porn angle may or may not be useful. Who'd have guessed that some members of the big yellow board had such skills, knowledge, and imagination? I was taking notes for future reference (on the tech bits).

 

Fri May 18 9:15 am  #14


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

betaylored wrote:

The technical info's useful, the criminal/porn angle may or may not be useful. Who'd have guessed that some members of the big yellow board had such skills, knowledge, and imagination?

Not in incite the rapture, but you're surprised posters here have other skills? I suppose the assumption that radio types are exclusively myopic in skill scope is out there, but...?? As for "imagination"...?? Ummm... radio is not a visual medium; it requires the host to "paint a picture" -- that requires "imagination".

Beyond that, to turn prudish and ignore the fact that the internet is a useful tool to source pornography is silly. We all do it. (What? Not ME!). That, in turn, can lead to the authorities tracking down surfers that "accidentally" stumble on a naughty site or threaten a president of a foreign country with orange hair.
 

 

Fri May 18 4:46 pm  #15


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

The new browser on the Windows O/S is Microsoft Edge.  Ooops!  I forgot.  Many members on this board are still using Windows Vista.

 

Fri May 18 4:50 pm  #16


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Chuck99 wrote:

The new browser on the Windows O/S is Microsoft Edge.  Ooops!  I forgot.  Many members on this board are still using Windows Vista.

I doubt it. They are probably using those AOL free dial-up CDs, along with Netscape 1.0.  After all, the Waters family in the Chum days of 1957, along with their guaranteed jobs for life used it.
 

 

Fri May 18 4:52 pm  #17


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Chuck99 wrote:

The new browser on the Windows O/S is Microsoft Edge.  Ooops!  I forgot.  Many members on this board are still using Windows Vista.

Windows 10 ain't that great.  Even many IT pros loathe it.  Vista is a tad old, but I like Windows 8.  Still compatible with modern software, faster and more stable than Windows 7 too.
(just install Classic Shell to hide the Metro stuff)


Cheers,
Jody Thornton
 
 

Fri May 18 4:59 pm  #18


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Jody Thornton wrote:

Windows 10 ain't that great.  Even many IT pros loathe it.  Vista is a tad old, but I like Windows 8.  Still compatible with modern software, faster and more stable than Windows 7 too.
(just install Classic Shell to hide the Metro stuff)

Jody, as you well know, Eastern European tentacle porn runs very sluggish on Vista. Sure, the set-up is fine, but once all eight tentacles of that huge pink octopus starts getting aroused, there is extreme pixelation. I'm sure you can attest to W8 for, what you really love, as to the gradient pleasantries of those "money shots" and the stunning grace of all that squid ink.
 

 

Fri May 18 5:16 pm  #19


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

cGrant wrote:

Jody, as you well know, Eastern European tentacle porn runs very sluggish on Vista. Sure, the set-up is fine, but once all eight tentacles of that huge pink octopus starts getting aroused, there is extreme pixelation. I'm sure you can attest to W8 for, what you really love, as to the gradient pleasantries of those "money shots" and the stunning grace of all that squid ink.
 

Alrighty then!
(head shaking)


Cheers,
Jody Thornton
 
 

Fri May 18 10:45 pm  #20


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Jody Thornton wrote:

Chuck99 wrote:

The new browser on the Windows O/S is Microsoft Edge.  Ooops!  I forgot.  Many members on this board are still using Windows Vista.

Windows 10 ain't that great.  Even many IT pros loathe it.  Vista is a tad old, but I like Windows 8.  Still compatible with modern software, faster and more stable than Windows 7 too.
(just install Classic Shell to hide the Metro stuff)

Rubbish Jody.  Windows 10 is probably the best Microsoft OS there is.  It's not only secure but it's stable.  And it's also a sea change with MS.  Further, they're just going to to incremental improvements to Win 10 along the lines of what Apple did with OS X.  This is hugely beneficial for corporations as there is no new learning curve and for the average user who still can't find the old start button.  While I use Linux a fair bit, I do have Windows 10 on my laptop (for Office 365).  I'm glad to see MS hired a boss with some vision.  Personally I consider Microsoft to now be more innovative that Apple is. 

 

 

Fri May 18 11:30 pm  #21


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Irvine wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

Chuck99 wrote:

The new browser on the Windows O/S is Microsoft Edge.  Ooops!  I forgot.  Many members on this board are still using Windows Vista.

Windows 10 ain't that great.  Even many IT pros loathe it.  Vista is a tad old, but I like Windows 8.  Still compatible with modern software, faster and more stable than Windows 7 too.
(just install Classic Shell to hide the Metro stuff)

Rubbish Jody.  Windows 10 is probably the best Microsoft OS there is.  It's not only secure but it's stable.  And it's also a sea change with MS.  Further, they're just going to to incremental improvements to Win 10 along the lines of what Apple did with OS X.  This is hugely beneficial for corporations as there is no new learning curve and for the average user who still can't find the old start button.  While I use Linux a fair bit, I do have Windows 10 on my laptop (for Office 365).  I'm glad to see MS hired a boss with some vision.  Personally I consider Microsoft to now be more innovative that Apple is. 

 

So ridding of their testing team and having insiders do all of their tests, and then releasing buggy updates is better?  I think you're the one spouting the rubbish.  The last update in April is causing lots of issues for users.

Windows 8x was plenty stable.  I don't know where you saw issue with it.  I really think you're just trying to be contrarian to be honest.  And yes Satya is bringing a sea change to Microsoft, pushing everything to the cloud.  So really Windows will take a backseat eventually.to other company initiatives.  That doesn't sound like an OS with a future in mind.

The OS is really just a conduit for telemetry gathering.  If that's what you like, then you enjoy it "slick" (sound familiar?)
 


Cheers,
Jody Thornton
 
 

Yesterday 8:28 am  #22


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

I find it quite cumbersome, inconvenient & error prone to search all SOWNY threads seeking cGrant's "pearls of wisdom" posts.

I put forth the proposal that all cGrant's posts be collected in a single cGrant thread for the convenience & edification of all.

 

Yesterday 9:34 am  #23


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

g121 wrote:

I find it quite cumbersome, inconvenient & error prone to search all SOWNY threads seeking cGrant's "pearls of wisdom" posts.

I put forth the proposal that all cGrant's posts be collected in a single cGrant thread for the convenience & edification of all.

Well, no I sometimes disagree with cGrant's or Irvine's posts, but they both bring some VERY VALUABLE ideas to the table.  Some see it as trolling, but that's not true.  Look, since Irvine came back, there has been more spirited posting on several topics than I've seen in quite ahile.

Just my two ...er, twenty cents.

 


Cheers,
Jody Thornton
 
 

Yesterday 10:07 am  #24


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Jody Thornton wrote:

g121 wrote:

I find it quite cumbersome, inconvenient & error prone to search all SOWNY threads seeking cGrant's "pearls of wisdom" posts.

I put forth the proposal that all cGrant's posts be collected in a single cGrant thread for the convenience & edification of all.

Well, no I sometimes disagree with cGrant's or Irvine's posts, but they both bring some VERY VALUABLE ideas to the table.  Some see it as trolling, but that's not true.  Look, since Irvine came back, there has been more spirited posting on several topics than I've seen in quite ahile.

Just my two ...er, twenty cents.

 

Hi Jody, 

I'm assuming Irvine/Irv/WCI are the same person (& I mostly see view his posts on TorontoMike).

Since Irv's recent medical adventure, he's a changed person. Provides lot of "strong" points of view for discussion\consideration but has dramatically lessened the amount of pure ego-driven caustic\disrespectful trolling he dealt out in the past.  I quite like the "new Irv".

cGrant on the other hand ..
 

 

Yesterday 12:12 pm  #25


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

I ask, AGAIN, why is someone having a differing viewpoint than the popular one considered "trolling"? I know what trolling is, heck, I've even done some of it myself. But. Not. Here. Have you ever considered that those with a similar opinion as mine are too scared to post here? They are afraid they'll get shouted down and labelled. After all, how do the majority here welcome those with differing points? They are grouped as "trolls" and insulted. And that is supposed to welcome an outsider? Nope.

I've been in the business long enough to accept the notion that you can't please everyone; nor should you try. After all, what makes for a compelling talk show? Caller after caller agreeing with the host/guest or a torrid opposing argument?

Imagine the Maury Povich show (where he does endless "who's the daddy" episodes), would you rather watch an hour of non-conflict where kids are praising and appreciating their fathers or chair-throwing hoodlums swearing they "never done her dirty"?

 

Yesterday 2:08 pm  #26


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Debating and disagreeing with someone else makes for an interesting thread, and I've rethought a couple of things after seeing others views/opinions.

Putting the capital H in hyperbole can turn off some people, and weaken an otherwise valid viewpoint.

And arguing just to argue is only entertaining in the Monty Python "The Argument" sketch which I have been tempted to post more than once.

 

Yesterday 4:38 pm  #27


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Re: Trolling.

The actual definition of trolling is more about entering a website purely to antagonize, annoy and offend those taking part in the site who think "the interwebs is srs bizness" (serious business). Example: A notorious hacker named Weev once tweeted at Dov Charney that "you belong in an oven".  Mr Charney (and Weev) are Jewish. Mr Charney was repeatedly sued for sexual harassment while running American Apparel.  That's trolling. 

cGrant is not a troll.  cGrant is a simply a online personality that understands the modern reality of radio. Unlike almost all members here he doesn't dream of the past he accepts and works in the new reality. He just has a harder edge when getting his point across. Is it over the top?  Sure, but so are some of the comments from some old timers here who simply refuse to acknowledge the industry has changed because it had no choice.  It's akin to espousing the value of a Telus or Bell landline over a smart phone. 

@G121.  Actually my sharpness started fading a few years ago for a variety of reasons, one just being me living in the mountains & preferring outside to the computer.  My "adventures in death" did change many things though oddly I think my "thumb my dick at the devil" attitude probably played a part in my survival & now my rapid recover.  12 weeks out and I'm about to go for an 8 km jog after complete heart failure and life support.  Or maybe that's the Banff thing too.  You get some set of lungs & a strong heart when you're clamping up Mt Cascade to 8000 feet.  PS.  WCI is West Coast Irv as I lived in Vancouver for a bit. 


 

 

Yesterday 5:38 pm  #28


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Irvine wrote:

cGrant is not a troll.  cGrant is a simply a online personality that understands the modern reality of radio. Unlike almost all members here he doesn't dream of the past he accepts and works in the new reality. He just has a harder edge when getting his point across. Is it over the top?  Sure, but so are some of the comments from some old timers here who simply refuse to acknowledge the industry has changed because it had no choice.

Thank you. Using the label "troll" is so very loosely activated these days on the socials. Essentially, it has become anyone and everyone that disagrees with your opinion. Is my tone harsh on here? Admittedly, I confess that I could soften down my writing style, yes. Reading comments on socials or bulletin boards doesn't truly represent the spirit of the poster. I am NOT one that writes "lol" after every damn comment. Or "lmao" etc. I rather relish those that, respectfully, differ from my views. There is nothing more bland and boring than a bunch of "yes men" agreeing with a stance. (Think about it, if you are a talk radio fan, don't you find 37 sequential callers agreeing with the host b-o-r-i-n-g? The screener will most definitely put you through if you oppose the mass sentiments. Why? That's good radio.)

I won't name names, but this board does have trolls. Their posts are deliberately composed as throw-away one-liners to stir the excrement. Yet, you folks seem to ignore their troll-dem.
 

 

Yesterday 6:07 pm  #29


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Well I consider Geo and his multiple aliases a troll.  But he's a nice troll and I met him once. 

BTW Geo, I drove past the Harmony Lunch last night around 10.  There was a live band playing there & the front glass was rolled up.  I thought of you Geo.  You don't know what you're missing up there in that beach town with The Peak playing in the background.  Long Live Waterloo 

 

Yesterday 11:27 pm  #30


Re: Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

Jody Thornton wrote:

g121 wrote:

I find it quite cumbersome, inconvenient & error prone to search all SOWNY threads seeking cGrant's "pearls of wisdom" posts.

I put forth the proposal that all cGrant's posts be collected in a single cGrant thread for the convenience & edification of all.

Well, no I sometimes disagree with cGrant's or Irvine's posts, but they both bring some VERY VALUABLE ideas to the table.  Some see it as trolling, but that's not true.  Look, since Irvine came back, there has been more spirited posting on several topics than I've seen in quite ahile.

Just my two ...er, twenty cents.

 

Just wait...  He'll answer every single thread, killing all discussion.  He's just warming up.