sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2018 8:12 am  #1

NBCUniversal to Launch Reality TV Streaming Service in Canada

Just days after CBS All Access officially came to Canada, another major U.S. network has set its streaming eyes on this country. In this case, it's NBCUniversal, which is vowing to start a service called "Hayu" (where that got that name is beyond me) in the Great White North. 

Here's the eye rolling part for me. The service will feature only reality shows, like "Keeping Up With The Kardashians." I admit I'm not a fan of these shows, which essentially began during a long ago writers' strike, forcing networks to come up with inexpensive and quickly shot shows to fill the gaps. They've cheapened TV in my mind, and since they are cheap, they are inevitably here to stay. 

Whether anyone will pay whatever they ask in order to watch more "Real Housewives of [Pick Your City]" remains to be seen, and they will have to compete with CraveTV, Netflix and more. Plus many of the rights to those shows have already been snapped up here. It should be interesting to see how well this does here - if it actually ever happens. 

NBCUniversal to Launch Reality TV Streaming Service in Canada

May 2, 2018 8:41 am  #2

Re: NBCUniversal to Launch Reality TV Streaming Service in Canada

The reason I'm so skeptical about this idea is that it didn't work in the States, which has a far higher viewing base. Fox Reality Channel existed from 2005-2010 and was a huge flop for the House That Rupert Murdoch Built. And it was part of a cable package, so people weren't paying just for that, as opposed to shelling out money for a streaming service.

I'm curious as to why NBCU thinks the Canadian response will be any different.  

May 2, 2018 12:03 pm  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

I'd watch a show about the wives of radio stars. 

It's a mystery why normal, lovely, well-adjusted people marry radio folk.

CBS streaming some shows that are available in Canada already by a Canadian outlet. Conflict? Isn't there government discussion ongoing on how to protect Canadian broadcasting rights/interests?

Just what we want, more access to the same shows. In reality, "reality tv" has moved to YouTube, with people vlogging/editing their "real lives" so they can, sometimes, make a living, with a slick management company organizing their content ideas, product tie-ins and merch behind the scenes.

Last edited by betaylored (May 2, 2018 12:07 pm)

May 2, 2018 12:58 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

The reason I'm so skeptical about this idea is that it didn't work in the States, which has a far higher viewing base. 

Sounds to me like they're gambling that they can sucker Corus/Shaw to invest even though there was already a Global driven version here that failed... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Reality_Channel

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 2, 2018 2:30 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

The reason I'm so skeptical about this idea is that it didn't work in the States, which has a far higher viewing base. Fox Reality Channel existed from 2005-2010 and was a huge flop for the House That Rupert Murdoch Built. And it was part of a cable package, so people weren't paying just for that, as opposed to shelling out money for a streaming service.

Canada's probably just being used as a test market before dishing out the cash to do a US launch.

May 2, 2018 8:25 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Just days after CBS All Access officially came to Canada, another major U.S. network has set its streaming eyes on this country. In this case, it's NBCUniversal, which is vowing to start a service called "Hayu" (where that got that name is beyond me) in the Great White North. 

I immediately thought "Hayu" = "Hey you" ... although I have no media experience, I worked for many years in marketing. It was actually in marketing research, but it gave me some insight into what would have otherwise made little sense to me. 
https://tinyurl.com/yauos9r3

May 2, 2018 9:37 pm  #7

Lorne wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I immediately thought "Hayu" = "Hey you" ... although I have no media experience, I worked for many years in marketing. It was actually in marketing research, but it gave me some insight into what would have otherwise made little sense to me. 
https://tinyurl.com/yauos9r3

Interesting that their logo uses a period at the end of "Hayu". So does another Canadian media giant.

Aplogies on the size of the logo.

Last edited by Fjiri (May 2, 2018 9:41 pm)

May 3, 2018 12:27 am  #8

Fjiri wrote:

Interesting that their logo uses a period at the end of "Hayu". So does another Canadian media giant.

As I've said,
Sounds to me like they're gambling that they can sucker Corus/Shaw to invest even though there was already a Global driven version here that failed... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Reality_Channel

Good point Fjiri! Coincidence or not, it seems to strengthen my point!

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 3, 2018 12:31 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.