sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2018 10:19 pm  #1

Oh the choices...but what will the ratings show?

Tomorrow night is a big night for Toronto sports fans, both the Raptors and Leafs are on...Raptors play game 5 and it is a home game and the Leafs play the amazing game 7...

I am curious as to what the difference in the T.V. ratings will be? My bet is the Leafs will probably double what the Raptors get.

What is your feeling Big Yella?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 25, 2018 2:45 am  #2

Re: Oh the choices...but what will the ratings show?

All four games will be in action. It's a no brainer that the bars will have Jays and (possibly) FC on in mute mode, but which sport gets full volume for the other two?

Hoops might be the place to go to see the Raptors while a place like Wayne Gretzky's just has to have the leafs cranked up! (if not, something's awful wrong, right? lol)

As for home viewers, leaf fans will be leaf fans and Raptor fans will be raptor fans, but for the undecided, there's picture in picture...a nice easy way to switch between sports during an ad...(or whenever...)

Maple leaf square is going to be extra busy: https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/maple-leaf-square-host-combined-tailgate-raptors-leafs-tfc/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 25, 2018 8:30 am  #3

I wonder how the decision was made to put the Raptors on CFRB as opposed to the Leafs. TSN 1050 will carry the hockey game, while 1010 gets the hoops. And of course, there's no room for the overlap on the Fan because the Rogers-owned Jays get priority there. 

Knowing this town, the Leafs will always be the #1 attraction in a situation like this. So was it contractual, a coin toss or just the luck of the draw that RB gets the Dinos as opposed to the Buds?

April 25, 2018 9:17 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder how the decision was made to put the Raptors on CFRB as opposed to the Leafs. TSN 1050 will carry the hockey game, while 1010 gets the hoops. And of course, there's no room for the overlap on the Fan because the Rogers-owned Jays get priority there. 

Knowing this town, the Leafs will always be the #1 attraction in a situation like this. So was it contractual, a coin toss or just the luck of the draw that RB gets the Dinos as opposed to the Buds?

TSN1050 and the Fan590 have been alternating all year when it comes to broadcasting the hockey games, so this would have been decided before the playoffs started. Joe Bowen must have a trick for making sure he gives out the correct station ID, once or twice this year during a game, he's paused, as if to double-check, then announced either TSN1050, or Sportsnet the Fan590.

Having Bell and Rogers share the Leafs still feels odd, kind of like the Crips and Bloods sharing Smith and Wesson.

It's convenient the two stations are next to each other on the dial, listeners can flip back and forth quickly if both games are close. Go Leafs. Fingers crossed.

April 25, 2018 10:04 am  #5

betaylored wrote:

TSN1050 and the Fan590 have been alternating all year when it comes to broadcasting the hockey games, so this would have been decided before the playoffs started. 

True, but haven't they also alternated with the Raptors as well? I wonder if basketball would have ended up on the Fan if this were an off day for the Jays, like Monday was. Curious how these decisions are made. 

That said, I agree with you this dual-rights broadcast thing, since the two behemoths share the ownership, is very odd. I can't think of another broadcast situation where this happens and it must make it hard for listeners to figure out who has the game and who doesn't. (Although admittedly, it's not hard to find once the action starts.)

I remember when CKTB used to take the overflow back when 1050 was still playing oldies. That doesn't happen anymore. Now a lot of the extra goes to Funny 820 on nights when all the local TSNs (1050 and 1150) are otherwise spoken for.  . 

By the way, what happens to the FC in this case? The Leafs are 1050, the Raptors on 1010, the Jays occupy the 590 spot for the night. Are listeners who want to hear the soccer game just SOL?  

April 25, 2018 10:23 pm  #6

The sound you're hearing right now is Rogers executives crying.

April 25, 2018 10:40 pm  #7

Retaw wrote:

i'm too busy crying over the leafs meltdown to care. Go Jets!!!

April 26, 2018 12:37 am  #8

splunge wrote:

Retaw wrote:

i'm too busy crying over the leafs meltdown to care. Go Jets!!!

I read somewhere this week that the word 'meltdown' was invented over sixty years ago to help describe the length of time it took for a brand or kind of icecream to melt. (Insert joke about how long it took the Leafs here)

Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph did one hell of a job this season during the Leafs radio broadcasts. That's a lot of games, the regular season plus seven (sob) playoff games.

Go Jets! (They're in... Winnipeg?)

Last edited by betaylored (April 26, 2018 12:43 am)

April 26, 2018 3:32 am  #9

betaylored wrote:

Go Jets! (They're in... Winnipeg?)

GO RAPTORS!!! YAY TORONTO!!!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 26, 2018 7:52 am  #10

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

TSN1050 and the Fan590 have been alternating all year when it comes to broadcasting the hockey games, so this would have been decided before the playoffs started. Joe Bowen must have a trick for making sure he gives out the correct station ID, once or twice this year during a game, he's paused, as if to double-check, then announced either TSN1050, or Sportsnet the Fan590.

Having Bell and Rogers share the Leafs still feels odd, kind of like the Crips and Bloods sharing Smith and Wesson.

It's convenient the two stations are next to each other on the dial, listeners can flip back and forth quickly if both games are close. Go Leafs. Fingers crossed.

I remember the first time I heard a traffic report for Newstalk 1010 on TSN 1050. At first I thought that a mistake of some kind had been made then I realized that CFRB and CHUM are owned by the same company. As someone who grew up thinking of those two stations as rivals, it seemed rather strange to these old ears.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 26, 2018 8:07 am  #11

It's funny you would say that Dale. I recently broached the same subject with former CFTR news director Robert Holiday, who, by the way, turned 80 this year and still sounds like he could go back on the air tomorrow. He said he never thought he'd live to see the day when CFRB and CHUM would be owned by the same people. Especially considering how they constantly battled for the #1 and #2 spot in the ratings for so many years. 

April 26, 2018 6:29 pm  #12

12+
Leafs - TSN1050 - 5.9
Jays - FAN590 - 2.4
Raptors - NT1010 - 2.4

M25-54
Leafs - TSN1050 - 7.0
Jays - FAN590 - 2.2
Raptors - NT1010 - 3.8

April 26, 2018 9:18 pm  #13

Total viewers:
CBC Leafs-Bruins Game 7 2610k
TVA Sports Leafs-Bruins Game 7 536k
TSN NBA Raptors-Wash Game 5 631k
SNet1 BlueJays-RedSox 347k
TSN2 Toronto FC Final 313k

https://twitter.com/BillBriouxTV/status/989673190862405633
https://twitter.com/zaptele/status/989622211941150721

April 28, 2018 12:31 pm  #14

grilled.cheese wrote:

I will be streaming the Leafs game through Rogers.  

Streaming is a new concept to many on this board.

Before dislocating your shoulder patting yourself on the back for your incredible knowledge of streaming you should now that you could have streamed it through the CBC for free.