sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 23, 2018 8:05 am  #1

WECK

From Scott Fybush's NERW:  In Buffalo, Buddy Shula’s WECK (1230 Cheektowaga) added a second FM translator yesterday. In addition to its downtown Buffalo signal on 102.9, WECK is now being heard in the city’s northern suburbs on 100.5 via W263DC, licensed to Tonawanda and transmitting from the WNED-TV tower on Grand Island.

Last edited by tvguy (April 23, 2018 8:05 am)

April 23, 2018 10:03 am  #2

Re: WECK

This is good news for the little station that could, although they still won't be receivable in Toronto. Oh well. The only thing is that now every station I.D. will be about 10 minutes long! 

April 23, 2018 1:20 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

The only thing is that now every station I.D. will be about 10 minutes long! 

Another great excuse to hire an auctioneer to do the station I.D's. 
Funny how the FCC only dictates that station ID must be mentioned, but never any mention of how fast or slow to say anything...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 23, 2018 5:50 pm  #4

The record for IDs must belong to WAMC in Albany.  I think it has 13 rebroads that it frequently IDs. Some of the towns it serves have up to 5-sylables

including [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canajoharie_(village),_New_York]Canajoharie, New York[/url] - ok try to say it quickly  then follow that with Rensallaer.

April 24, 2018 5:27 pm  #5

Chuck99 wrote:

The CRTC has allowed countless stations to flip from AM to FM with only a few exceptions 
In the U.S. many AM stations are adding FM translators instead of leaving the AM band.   
The FCC is trying to keep the AM band viable.  But in some markets, the translators may be the only option due to a crowded FM band.

My question is: why?  To keep radio viable and profitable, clearly it's much cheaper to power a FM stick than an entire array of AMs. Hydro and maintenance costs on arrays are horrendous.  Replacement parts are quickly becoming obsolete. In the end, forcing broadcasters to maintain on the AM band will result in going off-air. You'd think the FCC could appreciate this?!

April 25, 2018 10:49 am  #6

Chuck99 wrote:

I agree.  In my opinion, the AM band is obsolete.

...and to think, the AM band had the chance to go completely obsolete in the States long before Canada because FM did not have any strict rules to protect AM and keep it alive. 
(No 49% NON HIT rule in the States for FM)

It's still there...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.