sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2018 1:08 pm  #1

CRTC Appears To Threaten Kitchener Station’s Licence

I don’t know a lot about CKWR-FM in Kitchener, a listener supported community station that's been around for 45 years, and it turns out, I may never get to. The CRTC is holding a hearing on June 18th and if I were working there, I’d be justifiably nervous.

The Commission is already irritated with the outlet, noting that it’s been granted short term licence renewals twice in the past because of repeated non-compliance issues. (The major areas of complaint are not reporting their annual returns by the deadline, not adhering to CanCon regs., and failing to update itself to be part of the National Alerting System – that thing that interrupts your programming in the event of an emergency.)

It’s rare that you see the CRTC really get tough with anyone, but the tone of this release issued on Wednesday isn’t pretty:

“Given the instances of apparent non-compliance noted above and the instances of non-compliance noted in Broadcasting Decisions 2013-454 and 2008-300 that appear to have been repeated during the current licence term, the Commission has concerns regarding the licensee’s ability and commitment to operate the station in a compliant manner.

Moreover, the Commission could conclude that the licensee has demonstrated that it does not understand its regulatory obligations.”

None of that necessarily means they will lose their right to broadcast, but it’s certainly implied. It’s very rare that the Commission actually pulls a station’s licence, but it’s happened locally before. CKLN-FM, onetime occupant of 88.1, was famously shut down in 2011. And Aboriginal Voices Radio, which had been at 106.5, had its permit pulled in 2015 after repeated warnings and violations. A new licencee has since taken over and should be on the air soon. 

Could CKWR be next? We’ll find out in June. 

(In fact the entire release is centered on non-compliant stations. The worst seems to the one in Quebec, which has now been given four chances. So maybe CKWR will get an extra life. But either way, they're not helping themselves.) 

CRTC Release

April 18, 2018 2:48 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Appears To Threaten Kitchener Station’s Licence

This is an appearing hearing in order for the commission to meet the broadcasters in person.  it will be live streamed via the crtc website, so we can all share in the fun.

April 18, 2018 3:41 pm  #3

Speaking of the CRTC, check out this critique of that august body from a guy who should know - a former CRTC Commissioner named Peter Menzies:

"I once asked why our votes weren’t recorded and made public ... We were, after all, public appointees, spending public dollars to make decisions intended to serve the public interest. Surely the public had a right know who voted for what and what the nature of the debate, if any, was that took place prior to that vote.

The most coherent explanation I got was that this might place “too much pressure” on the commissioners...[M]y response to that one is this: Making CRTC decisions is inside work that doesn’t involve heavy lifting. It pays $170,000-plus a year with full benefits. There should be pressure. There should be accountability...

"The public should know ... who voted in favour and who voted against which decisions, with perhaps some indications as to why." 

It sure would be interesting to know when they vote for something involving Bell or Rogers which one of them used to work for or has ties to Bell or Rogers.

The CRTC remains shrouded in mystery

April 18, 2018 11:54 pm  #4

@Chuck, i think there was also one in kabek city about 10 years ago too.  i loathe these people who refuse to play by the rules the rest of us accept as part of being in the game.  a short term renewal, or making them play a mea culpa on air for a week is a pretty pathetic slap on the wrist.  financial penalties or licence revocation are the only options to deal with habitual repeat offenders.

@ radioactive.  that's an amazing quote from the former vice chair of broadcasting.  i agree more transparency is needed vis decisions, and justifications for those choices made, my only concern is by way of looking south... fcc commissioners vote along political party lines, and so how would that affect our system to reveal  how each person voted, rather than a majority/minority written decision now?

April 19, 2018 9:30 pm  #5

I have always had a soft spot for CKWR. They were probably at their best in the mid to late 90's when some  of the old CFCA announcers were on the air. They also had a decent news package and updates in the morning.

I understand they have fallen on hard times with personnel issues and finances. I read their submission and answers to the CRTC. In it they claim it takes about $30,000 per month to operate the station.

Never operating a radio station I am unaware of all the costs required to keep it on the air. There would be rent for the location, property taxes if building was owned, utilities, equipment maintenance, a budget for equipment replacement (as noting lasts forever), tower rent or site expenses, insurance etc. Then wages and benefits for employees, payments to 'organizations', remittance of royalties etc. I'm sure I have missed many others.

For the people that might know. In terms of administrative resources for a small non-chain owned radio station :
1) What percentage of administrative resources are utilized to serve / satisfy / placate / manage the CRTC?
2) What percentage of resources is utilized to ensure you play enough Canadian content and can document that you have.

Thanks for any insight.

I hope CKWR can get through this, they are a unique station that fill a niche in the area.

April 19, 2018 9:47 pm  #6

darcyh, neither of your questions are really relevant to owning a radio licence.  you know (or should know) your responsibilities when you apply for your station.  CanCon is a set % of your playlist.  If you mean CCD payments, that number is offered by the applicant.  Therefore, it is the CKWR people who made those decisions for themselves.

From what I've read, the CRTC may have a point in stating the licensee does not understand its regulatory obligations.  They may be good people, but i have zero sympathy for a licence holder facing its THIRD non-compliance renewal.