sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2018 4:10 pm  #1

Why Iain Grant Isn’t The First Ian Grant On CFRB

I’ve been on a bit of a nostalgia kick this week, but this wasn’t part of it. Instead, as often happens, I came across this by accident while looking for something else. It’s proof that there was an Ian Grant on CFRB before there was an Iain Grant on CFRB.

It’s from page 14 of an old long forgotten industry magazine called “Canadian Broadcaster & Telescreen” from June 1957. Turns out they hired a teenager to write columns from a ‘youth perspective,’ a scribe who just happened to be named Ian (no extra “i”) Grant.

At some point, he apparently made an appearance on CFRB talking about, for some reason, Beavers. (I will leave any sexual innuendos to you, but it appears The Beavers were a sort of cub scout-like organization and he was a member.)

From the publication:   

“Before the presentation was made, another of the teen-types, Roger Powell, interviewed CB&T's own teen-ager, Ian Grant, who explained to the kids and CFRB's audience just what makes the Beavers tick. Next day the Tely's new Sunday edition printed an interview with a number of juniors, including Ian, on the question of whether the 12 -to - 20's like being called teen-agers. Quoth Ian, "people who object do so because they want to prove that they're older or something." (Ian graduates into the 20's October 2.)”

Wow, I wonder what Alan Cameron would have to say about that? Guess we'll have to ask the experts...

Scroll down to page 14 of the .pdf to see the entire thing

April 17, 2018 8:06 pm  #2

Re: Why Iain Grant Isn’t The First Ian Grant On CFRB

"Next day the Tely's new Sunday edition printed an interview with a number of juniors, including Ian, on the question of whether the 12 -to - 20's like being called teen-agers." 

I just realized in re-reading this post that it indicates that there was a Toronto Telegram Sunday edition. I never knew that, but I seem to remember how big a deal it was when that paper's successor, The Toronto Sun, came out with a Sunday edition of its own. I recall that being heralded as a major step forward (or backward, depending on which side of working on Sunday you were on) and it sparked a huge controversy. 

Now that it appears the Telegram already had one, I wonder why there was such a big deal made about the Sun's seven day presence. Does anyone remember a Sunday Telegram in this city? 

April 18, 2018 8:55 am  #3

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Telegram :
In March 1957, the paper introduced a Sunday edition—the first Toronto paper to do so—and was threatened by the Ontario attorney-general with charges under the province's Lord's Day Act. The Sunday edition was unsuccessful and ceased publication after four months.

April 18, 2018 9:08 am  #4

There's actually another Iain (Ia_i_n) grant works at 260 Richmond.  It's a small small world..  etc. etc.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 18, 2018 1:54 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Now that it appears the Telegram already had one, I wonder why there was such a big deal made about the Sun's seven day presence. Does anyone remember a Sunday Telegram in this city? 

Also, not to be a stickler about this or anything, but I remembered that the Sun didn't have a seven day presence until many years after the Sunday Sun was introduced. According to the following chronology, it was 1973 for Sundays and 1986 for Saturdays.
http://www.canoe.ca/TorSunHistory/25th.html