sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2018 7:36 am  #1

"Is he getting eye surgery, or lie surgery?" 1010 texter hacks Harris

The whole Mike Harris 'neglecting the truth' about his reason for stepping away from politics to get a long standing vision problem corrected, his follow-up interview with John Moore on Newstalk's morning show just before 7am. Tuesday reminded me of a possible device radio hosts may be using to comment on issues, without actually stating it's their own opinion.

This morning, John deftly called Mike Harris out on his previous roundtable appearance, and Harris still feebly tried to dance around his questionable story. Once the interview was over, a 1010 listener texted in the comment, "Is he getting eye surgery or lie surgery" which John relayed, with a fair amount of amusement, and there is absolutely no reason to believe that there wasn't a listener text.

However, in the past, with other radio hosts, I have heard interviews, and discussions with the host working very hard to restrain their stronger view on the subject at hand, only to relay a text immediately after, that exactly echoed the very view the host had on the topic. Is this a subtle punctuation in the form of a clever device and a way to offset the even, thoughtful tone radio hosts are supposed to strive for? Whatever the reason, these "texts" um I mean texts, are doing their job.

Last edited by betaylored (April 10, 2018 7:38 am)

April 10, 2018 8:21 am  #2

Re: "Is he getting eye surgery, or lie surgery?" 1010 texter hacks Harris

Texts are to 2018 what the 'access line' was to 1998. As well as some legitimately great points, it's also a great place to mine for witty quips and hear from the blessed listeners that, (thank god) the producers wouldn't allow through to get on-air.

BTW, it was a real text, came in @6:52

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.