sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Thu Mar 8 11:46 am  #1


why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Shares in Corus Entertainment (CJR-B) which traded @ $14 as recently as August are today trading @ just over $7.    Time to jump in?

 

Thu Mar 8 12:12 pm  #2


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Time to cut your losses and jump out.

 

Fri Mar 9 1:42 pm  #3


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Kilgore wrote:

Shares in Corus Entertainment (CJR-B) which traded @ $14 as recently as August are today trading @ just over $7.    Time to jump in?

I added another hundred. Helps my average per share cost. 


 
 

Sat Mar 10 10:26 am  #4


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

J. a.R.F. recommended walking away from CJR-B while D. Twister doubled down.   A mixed message.    What would S. Kowch do? 

     Thread Starter
 

Sat Mar 10 12:50 pm  #5


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Granted this thread is dated March 8th, and I'm not Steve Kowch,
I can still recommend doing nothing if you have not yet invested.
Wait a week. Watch the stock closely.
Decide from there. 
The stock market is just a casino for the rich anyway. 

 

Tue Mar 13 1:29 pm  #6


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Radiowiz wrote:

  recommend doing nothing if you have not yet invested.   Wait a week. Watch the stock closely.
Decide from there.   

The stock appears about to close at a historic low.    Wasn't the new morning show expected to save this outfit?
 

     Thread Starter
 

Tue Mar 13 2:18 pm  #7


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Kilgore wrote:

Wasn't the new morning show expected to save this outfit? 

In all fairness, the bulk of the surveys were done before the switch.

That said, AM drive still doesn't work. What's her name is superfluous and Mike is not longer in his comfort zone. Then, his replacement at 9 is blander than Ted W and his accordion player, Myron Floren.

 

Wed Mar 14 10:35 am  #8


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

cGrant wrote:

    the bulk of the surveys were done before the switch   

Are you saying that Numeris numbers influence investors buy & sell decisions?
 

     Thread Starter
 

Wed Mar 14 11:44 am  #9


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Kilgore wrote:

The stock appears about to close at a historic low.    Wasn't the new morning show expected to save this outfit?

Kilgore wrote:

cGrant wrote:

    the bulk of the surveys were done before the switch   

Are you saying that Numeris numbers influence investors buy & sell decisions?
 

In actuality, it was YOU that implied this point.
 

 

Fri Mar 16 6:00 am  #10


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

Time to cut your losses and jump out.

It closed up 35 cents/share yesterday.   Someone has started accumulating while SOWNY is liquidating 


 

     Thread Starter
 

Fri Mar 16 3:40 pm  #11


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Kilgore wrote:

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

Time to cut your losses and jump out.

It closed up 35 cents/share yesterday.   Someone has started accumulating while SOWNY is liquidating 
 


 
 

Tue Mar 27 11:34 am  #12


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Radiowiz wrote:

Granted this thread is dated March 8th . . . I can still recommend doing nothing if you have not yet invested.    Wait a week. Watch the stock closely.      Decide from there   

Corus Entertainment traded a few minutes ago at $6.49, an all-time low.  Not just a low that mimicked markets after the so-called financial crisis of nine years ago, but an all-time low.     Who needs Mike Eppel or Lew Scheezix when our very own RadioWiz calls the market correctly?      The question now remains, Is Corus Entertainment too big to be allowed to fail, like General Motors or Chrysler?   

Over to you, RadioWiz   
 

Last edited by Kilgore (Tue Mar 27 12:26 pm)

     Thread Starter
 

Tue Mar 27 11:57 am  #13


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Coincidentally, this came out on the CRTC website Tuesday morning. Scroll down for the complete list of everything Corus owns - although clearly Sundance is no longer one of them.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-107.htm 

 

Wed Mar 28 10:59 am  #14


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

After bottoming out as a $5.93 special an hour ago, serious buying volume is taking place; RadioWiz may have decided its time to load up

     Thread Starter
 

Wed Mar 28 12:37 pm  #15


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

More on who got cut in London.

Restructuring brings cuts to London radio stations

Man, you've gotta love the spin these guys put on such a blatant and cold cost cutting move. Check out this from the CBC:

"Yesterday, there were a handful of changes at Corus Radio designed to maximize our content delivery. We believe our new structure will help further grow audiences across multi-platforms and position our radio brands for the future," Rishma Govani, a spokesperson for Corus Radio, wrote in an email to CBC News.  

So let me get this straight. We can deliver more content with fewer people and on-air hosts? Nice trick if you can do it. And I own a bridge in Brooklyn that I'm willing to sell cheap.

 

Wed Mar 28 12:50 pm  #16


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

RadioActive wrote:

We can deliver more content with fewer people and on-air hosts? Nice trick if you can do it

Why not? The myFM, Moose, Fresh, Jack, UCB and many more clusters/formats do it now throughout Ontario.  A Corus provincial/national network is also in place.  This is the new reality of the business.  Nothing new to see or hear here.
 

 

Wed Mar 28 3:03 pm  #17


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

cGrant wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

We can deliver more content with fewer people and on-air hosts? Nice trick if you can do it

Why not? The myFM, Moose, Fresh, Jack, UCB and many more clusters/formats do it now throughout Ontario.  A Corus provincial/national network is also in place.  This is the new reality of the business.  Nothing new to see or hear here.
 

That last sentence from cGrant sounds like a perfect tagline and eventually, an epitaph for some broadcasting corporations.

~ NOTHING NEW TO SEE OR HEAR HERE ~

 

 

Wed Mar 28 8:43 pm  #18


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

betaylored wrote:

~ NOTHING NEW TO SEE OR HEAR HERE ~

I wonder, collectively, if they can get away with THAT for ANOTHER 25 years?   They're damn well gonna try.

Pretty soon radio will just be an old record player with a mic sitting in front of the speaker while said record player keeps playing that same old, tired out song over and over and over.  And while the arm and needle swing over and then back to once again lower onto the record...the receptionist reads the commercials and weather forecasts.  Successful stations will either play Shaft or Papa Was a Rolling Stone.  I know it's a long one but there's room for a ton of live spots to read over that intro.  Then while the singin' part rolls...she can answer phones that get through the system, type up secretarial stuff, and write copy while directing people to whichever sales person they're there to see.

Moma don't let your kids grow up to be people playing songs on the radio.  The audience can rot.  As for share prices?  Sell!!!   SELL!!!   S E L L !!!!!!!!!
 

 

Wed Apr 4 12:24 pm  #19


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Funny that grilled.cheese hasn't been around much lately; is likely at his broker's office.     Share price seems to be stabilizing in $5.75 range   

     Thread Starter
 

Wed Apr 4 6:46 pm  #20


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

My money is in medical marijuana stock.

 

Wed Apr 4 9:44 pm  #21


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

grilled.cheese wrote:

My money is in medical marijuana stock.

 
Is that what they mean by 'funny money'?

 

Thu Apr 5 9:25 am  #22


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

grilled.cheese wrote:

My money is in medical marijuana stock.

Might be too late anyhow.    One of the majors has obviously moved in.     Corus now trading + $7 

     Thread Starter
 

Thu Apr 5 3:04 pm  #23


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

grilled.cheese wrote:

My money is in medical marijuana stock.

Thanks.  I support that...at the very least.
 

 

Fri Apr 13 12:52 pm  #24


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Kilgore wrote:

    One of the majors has obviously moved in.     Corus now trading + $7 

CJR-B is in freefall.   Currently trading around $6.50
 

     Thread Starter
 

Thu May 3 11:55 am  #25


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

downward trend continuing this morning; trading in six buck$ range

     Thread Starter
 

Thu May 3 12:01 pm  #26


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?


 

Thu May 3 12:05 pm  #27


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Kilgore wrote:

downward trend continuing this morning; trading in six buck$ range

Could be worse... I still have a couple dozen Torstar stocks collecting dust.  My last quarterly dividend cheque was $0.62.  That's not a typo.  It costs them more to mail me the pittance than the cheque is worth.  If I deposit it through an ATM, I have to manually type in the amount because the machine can't read it!
 

 

Thu May 3 12:10 pm  #28


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Well, if it's any consolation, my mother still has some Nortel stock in her safety deposit box!

 

Thu May 3 12:30 pm  #29


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

RadioActive wrote:

Well, if it's any consolation, my mother still has some Nortel stock in her safety deposit box!

You win!
 

 

Fri May 4 12:55 am  #30


Re: why pay retail? or is $7 the new reality?

Who would have thought from the start of this thread until now that it would actually be Newcap cashing out before Corus?