sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2018 8:28 pm  #1

Would You Watch More Network TV If There Were Fewer Commercials?

It's an interesting question in a time when viewership on traditional TV is declining. Fox has joined a growing number of broadcasters that plans to cut its overall ad time to - and this seems almost too good to be true - only two minutes an hour. That would leave a lot more air time for actual programming, likely resulting in either longer episodes of your favourite shows or maybe even more new shows on a different schedule. 

The hope is to reach that goal by the year 2020 - which is not that far off. So how can they possibly make money by reducing spot time from about 13 minutes an hour to just two? They plan to charge a lot more for the privilege of having sponsors reach an audience that's expected to tune in longer. And they could up product placement.

I don't know about you, but even if this pie-in-sky promise comes to pass - and I'll believe it when I don't see it - I pretty much DVR everything now and just spin through all the ads. I don't see that changing if and when this comes about.

The other side of this is what it might do to Canadian networks that buy all that U.S. programming - primarily CTV and Global. There's no way they'll follow suit, which could result in those outlets going back to those horrible days when they started editing American programs for length so they could squeeze in more spots. I can't tell you how many shows they ruined when this was going on in the 70s and 80s. It's the main reason I refused to get cable in the early days - I couldn't stand being forced to watch Canadian stations as they butchered so many shows. 

If the reduction happens and other U.S. networks follow suit, I can only wonder how viewers here will react with simsub still firmly in place.

Fox Plans to Reduce Ad Load to 2 Minutes Per Hour by 2020

March 6, 2018 9:04 pm  #2

Re: Would You Watch More Network TV If There Were Fewer Commercials?

Easy solution -- kill sim sub. It doesn't matter to me, I DVR everything and never see ads or those tedious network promos.

March 6, 2018 10:22 pm  #3

there are radio stations in New Zealand i know of who follow the same model.  no spot over 10 seconds, with less than 4 mins of advertising per hour.  Highly rated, the stations have found success with that model.

that said, i'm not sure Canadian television can support originating content at expected levels by using an innovative model.

March 6, 2018 11:13 pm  #4

cGrant wrote:

Easy solution -- kill sim sub. It doesn't matter to me, I DVR everything and never see ads or those tedious network promos.

You do see ads. If your fast forwarding goes to a blue screen how do you see that it is time to stop fast forwarding and start watching your show?
Ads done right get their word in there without any audio. 
The logo, price etc is flashed on the screen long enough to be noticed well while you are fast forwarding.

Even with my Rogers PVR and a faster fast forwarding, I can still notice Subway sub and a few other businesses very well. Fast forwarding doesn't escape ads, it merely shuts out the audio. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 6, 2018 11:25 pm  #5

I would not. I don't watch a lot of TV to begin with, but not because of commercials. I don't have cable or a PVR, but the stuff I watch OTA (local news, sports, late night shows) I watch for the content. I'm on my phone during the commercials.

March 6, 2018 11:35 pm  #6

Um hey? There are boxes you can hook up to your TV that allow you to watch TV shows commercial free.
It's all shows that already aired a week or so ago, but still...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 6, 2018 11:53 pm  #7

I have one. Two actually. I just don't care enough to figure that out. I use them for Netflix, Crave, MLB and Spotify. 

March 7, 2018 3:24 pm  #8

I pvr everything I plan to watch so I can leisurely watch on my own schedule.  If I arrive after the start of the broadcast, I'll fast forward through the commercials (the 30 seconds skip button is handy) but if I see them it doesn't bother me.

But I think this will ultimately lead to a bigger issue.

How big is video on demand?  It might eventually render traditional broadcasting moot.  The standard 30 and 60 minute time slots (like in some cable shows) don't need to be respected.  And the technology could very easily prevent you from skipping or fast-forwarding commercials.

March 8, 2018 3:00 pm  #9

According to "TV by The Numbers" NBC will cut back the number of commercials viewers will see in primetime commencing with the 2018-19 season. The network plans to feature 20% fewer ads and reduce commercial time by 10%.

March 8, 2018 3:10 pm  #10

10 whole percent? Why bother. What I'd kill for is Comedy Network axing their endless mega over-repitition of the same promos. Do they have 3?  Create more. Food Network is getting as bad. 💩🔪

March 8, 2018 4:53 pm  #11

No.  Except for sports, I PVR everything and fast forward during commercials.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (March 8, 2018 9:48 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

March 8, 2018 8:20 pm  #12

cGrant wrote:

This from the person who hates "paying for the CBC", and wants them to compete with commercial TV.

Bwahahahahahaha.

March 8, 2018 10:21 pm  #13

Dial Twister wrote:

cGrant wrote:

This from the person who hates "paying for the CBC", and wants them to compete with commercial TV.

Bwahahahahahaha.

Glad you're laughing. Now, what exactly is your point?

June 17, 2018 8:58 pm  #14

This thread was originally posted way back in March, and as expected, didn't exactly accrue a lot of enthusiasm here. So now the hanging-on-by-their-fingernails Fox TV network execs. have decided to try a new tack to get you to stick through the shilling. 

Here's the scoop:

Fox’s Newest Dramas Will Run During Commercial Breaks 

So is this any more likely to get you to tune in and stayed tuned? I haven't seen what they're planning but it looks like more clutter when all I want to do is get back to my show. I think this is likely to be very short lived, if, in fact they ever actually wind up trying it at all. 

June 17, 2018 9:39 pm  #15

This idea of playing short "inspirational" clips sponsored by advertisers could be pretty good, or saccharin sweet.

After watching commercial free DVD's, and buying seasons of shows and watching them on YouTube, I couldn't and didn't want to go back to what used to be called the boob tube, (being p.c. what fun...)

Though I do watch television every now and then for the ads, to listen to the voiceovers, and see what the trends are (fake accents sells cars apparently), but to watch for entertainment? Not unless there's a hockey game.

Last edited by betaylored (June 18, 2018 6:13 am)