sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2018 10:38 am  #1

Rogers Radio Exec On Her Past & The "Dumb" Firing Of Erin Davis

FYImusicnews.ca features a lengthy Q&A with Rogers Radio Snr. V.P. Julie Adam, who opens up about her past, why her on-air stints were so brief, the reasons Mad Dog & Billie didn't work out, and what she calls the "dumb decision" of firing Erin Davis from CHFI - and why she regrets the way it was done.

"On the point of firing Erin over the phone.  Erin was at her cottage, which she loved.  We had had some kind of conversation before she left, not about her being fired, but certainly an “I don’t know how this is going” conversation. My thought was that I didn’t want to make her drive back from her cottage to sit her down and tell her.  So I called her.  It wasn’t that I was trying to chicken out on doing this and just phone her, it wasn’t a ruthless decision, it was trying to be thoughtful but ended up being very very bad...

There was no mystery about it, it was a dumb decision, and it was executed poorly.  Really, I should have been fired for it."

Julie Adam on Rogers and radio

March 5, 2018 11:11 am  #2

Re: Rogers Radio Exec On Her Past & The "Dumb" Firing Of Erin Davis

Good old Rawlco. The green Kool Ade company.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

March 5, 2018 6:15 pm  #3

Re: Rogers Radio Exec On Her Past & The "Dumb" Firing Of Erin Davis

There was always a bizarre level of paranoia around their staff, especially senior staff.  Concerned about their employees 'fraternizing' with employees from other stations, worried someone might be spilling the beans about their internal operations etc.  Not that any of that is a good thing, but it's a small industry and people talk.  The level of paranoia over 'internal' matters just always felt more like a cult than a broadcast outfit.

ONEIL wrote:

I liked the Rawlisons.  They flew me up to Ottawa to do the imaging for the new Magic100. The station wasn't on air yet but they had the on air staff working their shifts for a few months with a phone line to the PD and GM's house so they could get a feel and critique. When they signed on they sounded like they'd been doing it for months.  My problem was they had a fake set of calls and slogan they were using and only management knew the one they rolled out the day they signed on.  I did the complete imaging package for 2 different stations in 1 afternoon.  Nothing but warm tea on the flight home!  I ended up doing pretty much all of their stations except CISS.  They were always really great to work with. 

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.