sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2018 12:14 pm  #1

The Morning Show That Waited 50 Years To Get On Air Comes March 3rd

Imagine getting your show together - all your music, liners, commercials, everything - and being about to open the mic, when authorities raid the station and shut you down. That's what happened to a jock named Roger Day on the legendary pirate outlet Radio Caroline in the U.K. when, on March 3, 1968, British authorities swooped in and seized the ship they were using as a base. 

It took half a century, but Radio Caroline finally has a legit license and to celebrate that momentous achievement, the now 76-year-old Day is back - and plans to finally play every single tune he had lined up on the exact day at the exact time they would have gone on air. It starts at 5:30 AM in England, which translates to 12:30 AM our time and if you're curious, you should be able to hear it online.  

So what's in the mix? According to an article in The Daily Mail:

"The Top Five that week had Manfred Mann at number two with Mighty Quinn; Legend of Xanadu by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich at three; Bend Me, Shape Me by Amen Corner at four and She Wears My Ring by Solomon King at five."

(Note that The American Breed had the hit with "Bend Me" in North America.) But you'll never believe the obscure song that was at the top of the charts that fateful day: 

"His show will include the Number One of the week, Cinderella Rockefella, by Esther and Abi Ofarim."

When was the last time anyone played that tune?

The Breakfast Show That Never Was!

March 1, 2018 3:19 pm  #2

Re: The Morning Show That Waited 50 Years To Get On Air Comes March 3rd

Esther & Abi were an Israeli husband and wife team. Their "hit" Cinderella/Rockafella peaked at 68 on the Hot 100 in April 68.

March 3, 2018 4:57 pm  #3

Thanks, RA for this.  I grabbed the stream last night and just finished listening to it while getting some "office work" done.

Lots of great tunes there.  After 50 years some of the songs have been (probably rightfully so) relegated to the dustbin of history including this one that has become an earworm I can't shake.

Last edited by Peter the K (March 3, 2018 4:58 pm)

March 4, 2018 11:03 am  #4

Great story RadioActive!

March 4, 2018 2:06 pm  #5

"CInderella Rockefellla" was a big CKLW hit in the summer of 1968. The last station I heard play it was ROL (streaming from Belgium).

March 4, 2018 11:23 pm  #6

mace wrote:

Esther & Abi were an Israeli husband and wife team. Their "hit" Cinderella/Rockafella peaked at 68 on the Hot 100 in April 68.

I remember this song well !

It's got a Rudy Vallee - New Vaudeville Band feel to it

Thanks RA

Last edited by unclefester (March 4, 2018 11:23 pm)

March 26, 2018 8:35 pm  #7

What a difference between the first control room and this one! I loved the pics that accompany the story. 

​Radio Caroline is Back and in Ship Shape

March 26, 2018 9:43 pm  #8

TomSanders wrote:

"CInderella Rockefellla" was a big CKLW hit in the summer of 1968. The last station I heard play it was ROL (streaming from Belgium).

Cinderella Rockefella was a CKLW Hitbound for one week on the playlist that debuted Tuesday, February 27, 1968.
It never charted on the Big 30.

March 28, 2018 12:34 am  #9

mike marshall wrote:

TomSanders wrote:

Cinderella Rockefella was a CKLW Hitbound for one week on the playlist that debuted Tuesday, February 27, 1968.
It never charted on the Big 30.

The old timey music experienced a revival from about 1966-68. Two of my favorite Top 50 hits in the genre were "Hello Hello" by the Sopwith Camel and "Grizzly Bear" by The Youngbloods both of which made the CHUM Chart. One song  that fits the genre that did not make the CHUM chart but hit number 70 in Billboard in 1967 was "That Acapulco Gold" by The Rainy Daze. Banned in most markets after the subject was discovered.

Last edited by Fitz (March 28, 2018 12:39 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/