sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2015 11:49 am  #1

Rogers Tries To Unload Shopping Channel

Heard about this the other day, but I loved Jerry Agar/Mike Bullard's take on 'RB Tuesday that they should offer it up as the last item for sale on the channel itself. ("Hurry! Only one left!") Or maybe they could try to unload the onerous NHL contract. ("We paid $5.2 billion! But for a limited time only, it's yours for just $2.5 billion. Don Cherry included. No reasonable offer refused!")

Rogers puts Shopping Channel up for sale

July 14, 2015 12:15 pm  #2

Re: Rogers Tries To Unload Shopping Channel

The station is a loss leader.  It's almost free.  It's the shipping and handling that'll knock you on you emptied wallet arse pocket.  Someone'll buy it.  Heck some fool bought the town of Schitt's Creek.  I was up there just the other day.  THAT ain't worth a pinch of Schitt either.

July 14, 2015 12:29 pm  #3

Old Codger wrote:

The station is a loss leader.  

You think so?  I figured it was the other way around.  It probably makes a ton of money since the overhead is next to nothing, shipping is generally from the manufacturer, and processing payments etc. is all external.  I guess I'm more of a cynic than most, in that I figured they were dumping it because it did make money, and therefore upset the loss leader applecart for the stations they needed to be able to write off.  It just has nothing to do with any of their now key brands.

I can't remember, but I'm sure someone told me they want a 100% markup on the stuff before they'll put it on their shelves, so the profit margin is crazy.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 14, 2015 3:11 pm  #4

The article says it could go for $300M! So yeah, not a loss leader. Probably a short term fix to make up for losses elsewhere.

July 14, 2015 10:02 pm  #5

Don wrote:

The article says it could go for $300M! So yeah, not a loss leader. Probably a short term fix to make up for losses elsewhere.

THAT sounds about right.  Imagine the fool who suggested it was "a loss leader".  I'm ashamed to admit I even know him.  And you should be too Iain.  All I know is I don't want it.  If I can't watch it...

July 14, 2015 10:22 pm  #6

When did the off air outlet store close? 
http://www.toronto.com/others/shopping-channel-off-air-outlet-store/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.