sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2018 1:54 pm  #1

"Leave Extra Time On Your DVR..."

Everyone with a DVR knows that if you're recording anything on either CBS or Fox on your average Sunday night, you need to include a few shows you don't want because the NFL contests never, ever end on time and you won't get the program you were hoping to see in its entirety. (Golf is now taking that irritating place on CBS as the NFL wraps up its season.)

Which brings me to the Super Bowl and an announcement I've never heard before on a TV network.  Both NBC and CTV are running endless promos for a special showing of "This Is Us," which airs after the Big Game next Sunday. It's the long awaited "How did Jack really die?" episode and it's supposed to start at 10:15 PM. But anyone who buys that timeline believes in the Easter Bunny. 

So it's a sign of how important DVR playback has become to the ratings that each one of them is including a tagline that says, "Be sure to leave extra time on your DVR, because the game could run long." It's the first time I've ever heard a major network acknowledge that some people - it could be argued a large majority of people - won't actually be watching the show as it airs. It's surprising in a way because the nets need you to watch live, the only way to ensure you can't skip the commercials. (I don't know of anyone who doesn't do that on something they've recorded.)

A sign of the times, I suppose.

Or in this case, a sign that you need to extend those times. 

January 30, 2018 2:16 pm  #2

Re: "Leave Extra Time On Your DVR..."

Would you have them ignore what they know to be true? Not seeing the issue here, sorry.

And, yes, we have become a society of idiots where promos like this are necessary. I pity and fear where our civilisation is heading.

January 30, 2018 3:59 pm  #3

could you imagine the viewer backlash and bad PR if they didn't offer a notice/warning???  In this day of righteous indigence over the smallest of insignificant trivialities, the slightest variance from the norm creates a veritable shitstorm of butthurt.

January 30, 2018 5:04 pm  #4

I've seen "set your DVR" on loads of promos for US channels. CTV and City usually do it, too, IIRC.

January 30, 2018 5:07 pm  #5

I have too, but I've never seen them announce that the schedule is flexible so start early and keep recording late if you want the show

Retaw wrote:

I've seen "set your DVR" on loads of promos for US channels. CTV and City usually do it, too, IIRC.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 30, 2018 6:33 pm  #6

Obviously, I'm not the only one who noticed this unusual "extra time" warning. I just saw this:

This Is Us' Super Bowl Episode: How to 'Fire' Up the DVR to Not Miss Any of It