sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2018 12:43 pm  #1

Bell's Hail Mary Pass: Ask Supreme Court For Super Bowl Simsub Relief

There are just days to go before the Super Bowl airs for 2018, and Bell and the NFL haven't given up trying to reinstate simsub for their once prized possession. This time they're hoping no less a deity than the Supreme Court of Canada will hear their prayers for a stay on the CRTC-ordered cable non-substitution of the big game. 

So far, there's no sign the Supremes are listening or will take the case. If not, it means another year when Canadian cable/sat subscribers will get to choose which station they want to watch the game on, including those infamous and expensive U.S. spots that started the entire debacle in the first place.

This year's Super Bowl will come to an end when time runs out on the clock. But it appears this Bell fight will just go on and on and on. If the court decides to intervene, they'll have to do it soon - the game airs Feb. 4th on CTV - and NBC.

Bell seeks Supreme Court appeal over CRTC's Super Bowl ad decision  

January 23, 2018 12:49 pm  #2

Re: Bell's Hail Mary Pass: Ask Supreme Court For Super Bowl Simsub Relief

Bell is a dog with a bone. It saw it's reflection in the water and barked! Now it has no bone and it does not deserve one either.
Maybe it's time to just take Bell to the vet and have the poor thing put down.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 23, 2018 12:59 pm  #3

Since I hate both simsub and Bell, it's hard to feel bad for them. But the one thing that drove me crazy when this was a big story last year is that many of the reports I read always made it seem like the game wasn't available on CTV at all. Like somehow only the U.S. feed was there.  

That simply wasn't the case and won't be again this year. If you want to watch it on CTV and see all the boring spots for Canadian Tire and Tim Horton's, you're certainly welcome to. While there is a legitimate question about what rights are worth, the fact is you can watch it on either network (in fact if memory serves, didn't Bell also simulcast it on TSN to try to catch people unaware the U.S. feed was being offered?) 

All the CRTC did was give viewers a choice. Something that simsub has taken away from them for years. According to Bell's own loss estimates, the Canadian audience made that choice in droves. Which certainly tells you something. 

It's the main reason I have a TV antenna. So far, there's nothing Bell, the CRTC or anyone else can do to stop me from watching what I choose on what channel I choose over the air. It works for me, and best of all, Rogers and Bell never get a dime of my money. Whoever is victorious in the Super Bowl, that, to me, is the ultimate victory! 

January 23, 2018 1:30 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

It's the main reason I have a TV antenna. So far, there's nothing Bell, the CRTC or anyone else can do to stop me from watching what I choose on what channel I choose over the air. It works for me, and best of all, Rogers and Bell never get a dime of my money. Whoever is victorious in the Super Bowl, that, to me, is the ultimate victory! 

Honestly, I think you should invest in a Red Rhino box anyway.
Use your antenna for local Canadian channels (when desired) and the Red Rhino for channels harder to pick up with your Antenna.
The Red Rhino box also allows you to pick up British TV etc, all without a cable bill ever.
The two together might work as a good team in your home! 

***Red Rhino box does require internet, but you can deal with any internet company you choose...

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 23, 2018 1:34 pm)

January 23, 2018 4:38 pm  #5

January 26, 2018 11:36 am  #6

January 26, 2018 12:16 pm  #7

I can't understand how supposed journalists keep getting this wrong over and over and over again. The Mobile Syrup cut line says this:

"For the time being, it looks like Bell will be forced to yet again run American ads during the Super Bowl."

That is simply not the case. What the ruling says is that Bell can show whatever commercials it wants, but cable/sat companies can't substitute the CTV broadcast on their systems to override the U.S. feed. Bell still gets to show whatever commercial time it sold on its own channels. Viewers are free to watch either the Canadian or the American station - this year, it's NBC.

As far as I know, Bell is NEVER forced to show the complete U.S. feed. It's simply a matter of choice. How do the story tellers keep missing this?

January 26, 2018 6:11 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

As far as I know, Bell is NEVER forced to show the complete U.S. feed. It's simply a matter of choice. How do the story tellers keep missing this?

Good point. Wording is everything. 
Thankfully, most average Joe and Jills out there understand what's going on.
They just might not understand what a sim sub is, so simple language like "not allowed to block out the American channel" ends up being the logical way to explain it.