sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2018 3:06 pm  #1

BBC Under Fire For Posting "Non-Whites" Only Job Ad

Not meaning to stir the pot or anything, but I find this story fascinating. I guess things really have come full circle. 

Radio 1 becomes latest BBC station to BAN white job applicants

January 19, 2018 5:58 pm  #2

Re: BBC Under Fire For Posting "Non-Whites" Only Job Ad

Openly discriminatory job postings are nothing new for the BBC. Even the CBC has been caught doing it multiple times.

The BBC has gone to some bizarre extremes, though. IIRC they have a quota for LGBT people that is actually disproportionately far higher than the amount of LGBT in the country.

These quotas come across as very dehumanizing. "Do we have a black man? A bi-racial transgendered woman in a wheelchair?" You're no longer your accomplishments or abilities, but just an entry on the checklist for someone to pat themselves on the back at the end of the fiscal year.

January 20, 2018 4:57 pm  #3

Daily Mail link. You'd actually look better linking to something Postmedia. Wow.

January 20, 2018 5:51 pm  #4

I have trouble with hiring people based on ethnicity, skin colour, and such. But I also know various groups are not fairly represented in many workplaces and in many professions, and certainly not in upper management. The answer, I think, is to enable people who don't have economic advantage to attend journalism schools, or whatever be the case. And to find ways to reach and enable young people from families whose parents don't value higher education. That would include reaching young women, who might be more vulnerable in this regard. The answer also includes strong mentorship and cooperative education programs. And to breed a culture of mutual respect in workplaces - it's been all over the news, and common knowledge, that this has been lacking. But for actual hiring for permanent / full-time positions, I truly want a wide breadth of talent to choose from.

January 20, 2018 6:11 pm  #5

For years the playing field was tilted in favour of whites, which was unfair and discriminatory. Now it is being tilted in favour of non-whites, which I suppose makes up for past sins in this area but ultimately is still discriminatory. But at what point do we go back to just hiring people on merit, and forget about "quotas" and such? Just hire the best people, regardless of race, gender or creed.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 20, 2018 6:15 pm  #6

Chrisphen wrote:

Daily Mail link. You'd actually look better linking to something Postmedia. Wow.

The Daily Mail has a rep for "scaremongering" on issues like science research and immigration.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 20, 2018 6:51 pm  #7

Dale, I agree with you - my approach would be through preparation, training and creating-building connections. Building from the ground floor up. So that people who have been marginalized and excluded would fit in very naturally and also be able to bring and incorporate new ideas, experiences, etc. And they would be hired because they had enough chops.

January 20, 2018 10:15 pm  #8

Chrisphen wrote:

It's not some expose, it's just reporting on a job posting. Get a grip.

Saul wrote:

And to find ways to reach and enable young people from families whose parents don't value higher education. That would include reaching young women, who might be more vulnerable in this regard.

It's funny you said, because in most western countries, it's actually the opposite.