sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2018 1:41 pm  #1

Canadian Top 40 countdown show

Does anyone remember this show? It was called Canadian Top 40 and was hosted by Michael Morgan, who jocked at a number of stations on the west coast. Kind of a Canadian version of American Top 40. How long did it last? What affiliates did it have? Any information about this show that can be provided here is greatly appreciated.

Here's a demo that was sent out to stations in 1973.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/ct40demo.mp3

Last edited by Dale Patterson (January 19, 2018 1:41 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 19, 2018 2:11 pm  #2

Re: Canadian Top 40 countdown show

I would love to do a show like this.  I was working with a gentleman by the name of Ray White during the late 2000s.  We were producing an Urban AC/AAA show that was styled similarly.  It had a lot of autobiographical stuff about the artists, and I produced and voiced the show for Ray.  REALLY enjoyed it.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 19, 2018 2:22 pm  #3

Can’t get to it right now but he’s been doing voice work in Van. Forever. Michael Morgan voices or talent services  I believe.

I’m pretty sure it was a Moffatt show.

Drop him a line .

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 19, 2018 2:25 pm  #4

Demo reel at Voices.com

January 19, 2018 3:03 pm  #5

If I recall correctly, I think Dan Williamson also hosted a syndicated countdown show of the top AC hits of the week. It ran on CKDS-FM around 1990 or so (pre-Y95).

PJ 

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (January 19, 2018 3:04 pm)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

January 20, 2018 11:22 am  #6

I have a somewhat similar question to Dale's about this air check that I found on a tape. Does anyone know about this program called Grapevine and the host Doug Aldridge. The show may have been broadcast on the Canadian Armed Forces Network. Host says his name and the name of the program starting at 17:25 on the clip: There was a Canadian rock magazine called Grapevine which only lasted a few issues but I don't think the program was affiliated with that.

Grapevine 1972

Also The Carpenters are featured on the clip that Dale posted and here's an obscure bit of trivia that I just discovered this last week.There was a pioneering  folk-country rock band called Hearts and Flowers who included future Eagle Bernie Leadon in one line up.  Anyway Karen Carpenter drummed for a while in Hearts and Flowers in 1968.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 20, 2018 1:36 pm  #7

It surprises me that both Pelmorex or Medianet didn't pick up on this idea. 
Yes, I know, Medianet cut down to oldies and Country when they took over, but still, the idea sounds like something that would have worked...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 21, 2018 2:06 am  #8

medianet also had a/c (when they took over from pelmorex) but all formats were voice tracked.  speaking of ac... those little voice tracking booths got extremely warm.

January 21, 2018 5:08 am  #9

the original hank wrote:

speaking of ac... those little voice tracking booths got extremely warm.

Tom Tomkins must have been really stingy with the AC in the place I guess...??

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.