sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2015 8:30 pm  #1

Shomi To Launch As Stand Alone Service

I'm not a big fan of anything Rogers, but that company and its partner Shaw, will be launching its Shomi on-demand online service as an entity separate from cable starting this summer. It means cord-cutters will be able to get it, without having to pay for cable. This is in stark contrast to Bell's approach, which requires some sort of cable or sat subscription to receive their CraveTV. Rogers/Shaw are being realistic about the state of that industry, while Bell is trying to hang on to a future that's shrinking at an alarming rate.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/shomi-expand-as-standalone-canadian-798280

Last edited by RadioActive (May 30, 2015 9:59 pm)

May 30, 2015 1:12 am  #2

Re: Shomi To Launch As Stand Alone Service

Rogers is not too worried about the cord cutters.
They're just offering extra options.
Their biggest sales pitch still seems to be that you can watch Shomi on your Rogers digital box.
It uses no data that way. 
(freeing up the option to pay less for a lower priced internet package)

In my current situation, the only way to get "free" Shomi is to upgrade my internet for $12.99 extra per month.
Looks like I'm better off to keep my current internet package and just pay the $8.99 fee, knowing I can just use the Rogers box without fear of going over my internet usage limit. 
(that is, if I ever get around to having any interest in Shomi, lol)

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 30, 2015 1:33 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.