sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2017 5:13 pm  #1

Canadian Radio Fixture Calling It Quits

He's not a household name in Toronto or the GTA, but anyone who's ever worked or listened to the radio in Montreal certainly knows who Tommy Schnurmacher is. He's been on CJAD roughly since the Big Bang occurred - or at least for the past 40 years. His last show will be December 13th.

Pretty amazing career and we're likely to see fewer and fewer of these longevity-type guys as the industry heads into an increasingly unstable future. 

Tommy Schnurmacher, a fixture of Montreal talk radio, is retiring

November 24, 2017 5:52 pm  #2

Re: Canadian Radio Fixture Calling It Quits

Good idea to get ahead of the inevitable Bell layoff.

November 24, 2017 7:05 pm  #3

Retaw wrote:

Great line!!

I knew Tommy.

He started as an entertainment reporter for the Gazette -- then graduated to radio and the rest is history...

I know a story about young Tommy -- let's just say he took a shine to me

He had two tickets to the islands if he could just one time...

No merci

Enjoy your retirement Tommy -- so many here highly recommend it

P.S. -- oh and no hard feelings...

Last edited by unclefester (November 24, 2017 7:06 pm)

November 24, 2017 7:23 pm  #4

Tommy made it to my 2nd marriage.  The 'best man' warned me that I was making a grievous error and volunteered to pay my way down to Jamaica for a vacation getaway if I would only NOT marry the woman.  BUT...being the world's WORST 'picker' when it came to potential wives...I decided to go forward with it.  Tommy showed up.  'We' lasted just long enough for me to germinate a successful attempt at makin' a GREAT baby.  Post that?  I was no longer necessary, wanted or needed.  Oh well.  I'm over it.  Have a great time smellin' the roses Tommy.  YOU were the real McCoy.  [Me?  Apparently not so much.  It just doesn't matter.  The ex?  A shallow soul.]

November 24, 2017 8:09 pm  #5

Retaw wrote:

When you see a high profile "retirement'' in the same window as a round of layoffs, it usually isn't. It just means the two sides agreed on optics.

November 24, 2017 9:38 pm  #6

The last few weeks it's been a veritable radio Hot Stove League around here, with U.Fester and O.Codger, as well as other members sharing a detail or three about their life experiences in the trenches.

Quid pro blow, whether powdered or personal, existed and still exists in radio and television, in different forms.

November 25, 2017 6:59 pm  #7

Speaking of layoffs, here's a side of radio history I'd never quite considered. What happened to all those actors in radio dramas as the industry transitioned to all music and DJs at the start of the rock and roll era?

In this fascinating article, it appears they were all fired on the same day - exactly 57 years ago this week - by CBS Radio, which ironically officially no longer exists after it was bought out by Entercom this year.

Well worth a read about a time long since passed when radio was changing - with eerie parallels to what we're seeing now. You can only imagine what the SOWNY board of that era, had there been one, would have said about all those sudden dismissals.  

Network Radio’s Fateful U.S. Thanksgiving of 1960

November 25, 2017 8:37 pm  #8

Midday radio in Montreal was always special. Rod Dewar, Andy Barrie and Tommy Schumaker.