sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2017 10:13 am  #1

What Would This Do To Music Radio Airplay?

I'm not entirely sure whether this would affect Canadian radio, but imagine a classic hits station that was forbidden from playing some of the biggest tunes of all time. 

Your Favorite Radio Hits May Go Silent

November 22, 2017 5:05 pm  #2

Re: What Would This Do To Music Radio Airplay?

Biting the hand which fed them and helped them to achieve their goals?  Bad plan.  Ultimately?  It'll 180 their own asses.  If there isn't a free and easy, accessible place for young folks to discover old musical ideas...and if their isn't a place for older listeners, who KNOW that they're not ready to exist in a musical bubble, to discover something NEW then these artists will end up treading water before they sink.

Composers have historically been looked after by radio [and those cheapskates on TV who generally roll MUZAK].  Artists have sold millions of records due to 2 things...First or second their talent and first or second exposure...often procured through payola.  If I never ever hear Jon/Bon EVER again...that would be fine.

This movement is stupid...an obvious last ditch attempt to scrape 1 more serving of cash from their stalled body of work.  They'd do better if they could come up wit yet another way of somehow repacking a brand new version of the same old/same old compilations they've been issuing ad infinitum since their creative candles began to flicker.

Please!!!  Not more 'pay radio'.  Their boring and limited offerings are merely piss-poor...especially after you've listened for 3 months.  [or 2 consecutive days]  But THAT'S where this would end up...if it were to happen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon/Bon...You're a lowly ingrate.  [and your 'stuff' pretty much all sounds the same.  The steroids were the ticket you used to 'make it'... ... ...ya weak-ass bum.]

Last edited by Old Codger (November 22, 2017 5:07 pm)

November 22, 2017 6:45 pm  #3

Radio and the music business have always had a symbiotic relationship.
Radio played the new stuff that helped to sell it to the public.
It was free publicity and radio got free (or almost free) product in return.

November 23, 2017 12:24 am  #4

Old Codger you are right on the money about J.Bon/Yawn-ovi. "Runaway" was their first and probably best song to become a hit. When I left Q, my happiness at not having to play or listen to the band anymore was only matched by my relief. It got to the point where I just kept the monitor turned right down during "Dead or Alive" et all, until a mix or a break was about to come up.

Radio might end up paying artists a bit more. Probably when they start allowing on-air people to say something more than the same ol' same old time check/ traffic / weather / light hearted banter / my pill-ow! speel.