sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 18, 2017 9:44 pm  #1

Evanov Radio Blows Its Owner’s Horn In Huge T.O. Star Ad

Anyone else see that bizarre half page self-congratulatory ad for Bill Evanov in the Business section of the Toronto Star on Saturday? (It’s on the lower half of page B3 if you missed it, but I've scanned part of it below)

It lists how he turned one station into a chain, goes on to boast about the charities his company supports and applauds his 50 years of “innovations,” including “pioneering” new formats like “Canada’s 1st Dance Music Station on Energy 108 and now Z103.5, as well as the first inclusive [LGBT] radio station…[and] The Jewel, the only FM stations that bring sophisticated music back to the growing 50+ demographic.”

Perhaps he’s the pioneer the ad claims he is. But from what I’ve heard from several former employees, his stations are run on margins so cheap, that if it’s not done on contra, you can forget about getting anything done at all. And don't even ask about the pay.

Ratings from ex-employees on Glassdoor.com would seem to support those reports.

Still, since I’ve never worked for them, I admit I don’t know. Can anyone with Evanov/Dufferin Communications experience confirm or deny what it’s like to work for this group? Did you find them "innovative" as the copy suggests?

November 21, 2017 9:45 pm  #2

Re: Evanov Radio Blows Its Owner’s Horn In Huge T.O. Star Ad

I don't know anything about Evanov other than from listening to Z103.5 from the time it was Hot103. It is not one of my favourite chr stations, but, if things are so bad there and Evanov is that miserable to work for, why is it that most of the on air personalities have been there for years? Think Scott Fox, Kat Callaghan (the newest at 5 years), Pina-there for the second time, Matt Wreggit, Tony Monaco, Danny D, Jimmy T also there for the second time and Richard Correll who is no longer there but was for the longest time.