sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 14, 2017 5:53 pm  #1

What Do You Do When A Hated Former Boss Joins Your New Station?

Surely not this. This isn’t a local story but it’s so bizarre, I’m wondering if it isn’t some kind of publicity stunt. Yet, if they wasted a real court’s time on this, that would be met with howls of protest and quite possibly, serious fines.

The tale is from Chicago, when a longtime and well known controversial morning man named Erich “Madcow” Muller has sued his former boss for emotional distress, after that boss joined his current employer, WLUP, putting him back in charge of the announcer. According to the morning man, when he was fired over 10 years earlier from his old station, this boss did everything to make his life a living hell.

And he further alleges the outlet's staff went out of their way to try and destroy his reputation. According to the Chicago Tribune:

“…sales staff sent advertisers packages of “raw, spoiled rotten and bloody meat,” depicting him as a “dead cow” in an effort to sully his reputation, the lawsuit says.”

This is beyond bizarre, but the morning host’s lawyer swears it’s legit and that he intends to go through with it. If all those people hated him so much, my guess would be he's not very likable to begin with, and he won't be there for much longer. 

But talk about a toxic working environment. Can’t say I’ve ever worked in a place that suddenly hired someone I hate. I’m not sure what I would do about it, but I don’t think this would be it.

Muller sues new radio boss for emotional distress

November 16, 2017 7:08 pm  #2

Re: What Do You Do When A Hated Former Boss Joins Your New Station?

There are 2 programming people I worked with who I would never EVER work with again.  There are dozens upon dozens of programmers and colleagues I would be entirely happy to work with again.

It should never be forgotten that even in radio...shit floats.

November 16, 2017 8:24 pm  #3

Re: What Do You Do When A Hated Former Boss Joins Your New Station?

Those types of programmers end up being management in community radio. Then they suspend volunteers that dare promote worthy charity events by competing stations.