sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2017 10:11 am  #1

Why Repeatedly Using The “F” Word Is OK On Some Cdn. Stations

Last week, I noted in a separate thread how stupid some of the complaints to the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council can be. Now, it’s the determination of the Council itself that’s raising a few eyebrows.

In a decision issued on Tuesday, the judges declared definitively that it’s OK to use the word “fuck” repeatedly on a Canadian commercial radio station – but only if you speak French.

The bizarre finding came as a result of a gripe to CKOI, which broadcasts only in French to a large population in Montreal. The word was used several times in a segment about a Madonna protest, sparking anger in at least one listener.

After some deliberation, the Council judges issued their decision. And what a decision. They ruled that the “F”-word doesn’t mean in French what it means in English, and therefore wasn’t offensive. So the station is off the hook. And, apparently given carte blanche (another French term!) to do it again. But I’ll let them explain it in their own almost surreal fashion.

“Although the CBSC has found in some previous decisions that the English word “fuck” constitutes language “for adults” even in a French-language program, the Panel Adjudicators note that the English word “fuck” does not have the same vulgar connotation when used in French.  The Panel emphasizes, in this regard, that language is evolutionary and reflects current society.”

Right, because no one in Montreal listening to CKOI speaks a word of English and couldn't possibly understand what it means. 

I wonder if an English-language broadcaster were to use a French swear word repeatedly on air if the decision would be the same. I doubt it will ever happen, but I hope someone somewhere puts it to the test.

CBSC's "F" Word Decision

November 8, 2017 11:58 am  #2

Re: Why Repeatedly Using The “F” Word Is OK On Some Cdn. Stations

Je me souviens

November 8, 2017 3:23 pm  #3

I thought it had to be "Le fuc" to be valid as saying "seal" in french. 
Without "le", that should show the intent, no?

Then again,
I'm not sure about today, but way back in the late 80's I went on a public School trip to Quebec city.
Someone in my group was angry about something and carelessly said "Fuck off!" only to have a bunch of french kids respond by saying "Fuck off...what fuck off??" 
Honestly seeming to not know what it means.

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 8, 2017 3:23 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 8, 2017 6:57 pm  #4

Reminds me of a DJ on San Francisco station K 101. James Gabbert and he was also the owner of the station. He had a show in the 70's that was free form but in a different sense to the usual. Multi genre like show tunes, old pop standards, pipe organ music, CCR and almost anything. Quite the show. One time he played Je T'aime by Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Berkin and introduced it as " you've got your California girls , we've got California beds."

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 8, 2017 7:27 pm  #5

actually I am trying to remember that quote I think it was more like "you can have your California girls, we've got California beds."

Last edited by Fitz (November 8, 2017 8:38 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/