sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2017 11:36 am  #1

The Star's Celebrates 125, But Where's The Story On Their Radio Stn?

I've been following the Toronto Star's celebration of the paper's 125th anniversary this year and so far, it's been fairly interesting. But I'm waiting for it to retrace one of its pioneering efforts that's almost been forgotten: CFCA, the Radio Station of The Toronto Star. 

Hard to believe, but the Star was the very first radio operator in the city, going on the air in 1922 at either 770 or 750 AM, depending on which source you check. Either way, it was certainly a major milestone and boasted the very first hockey broadcast, including the first play-by-play from legend Foster Hewitt.   

In 2014, The Torontoist published a terrific review of the station's relatively short 11 year existence, but I'd be curious to know what the Star archives has - and if there's actually any audio that might have somehow survived all these years. 

The Toronto Star's 11 years on the radio airwaves as CFCA   

November 5, 2017 1:07 pm  #2

Re: The Star's Celebrates 125, But Where's The Story On Their Radio Stn?

Did not know about this and did not turn up any audio yet but this article is interesting:
Toronto Star Radio

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 5, 2017 7:20 pm  #3

Will there be a section on how their decision to call ISIS "Daesh" truly wrecked havok on a terrorist group? Or how they've routinely given a platform to literal criminals?

As a news outlet, The Star's influence seems to have greatly diminished. Their last claim to fame was that Rob Ford drug story and even then, their inability to secure the footage elongated that car crash. Hopefully the stuff the people pay for is better, but the stuff they put on the web is a slightly better funded Tumblr blog.

November 7, 2017 1:41 pm  #4

There's nothing to be ashamed about being a TorStar subscriber as long as you have a large enough table that will accommodate the Star on the left and National Post on the right