sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 4, 2017 8:11 pm  #1

Don Cherry

Saw Mr. Cherry between the first and second period of the Saturday night game between the Jets and Habs.

He let it be known that on his way down to the television studio he didn't see a single person wearing a poppy.

I am saddened to hear that...

Can some of you on air folks light a fire under your listeners collective asses and help fix that?

And if your program director or some suit gives you any grief -- ask them to send me a PM...

I'll fix their wagon for them...

Thank you

November 4, 2017 10:42 pm  #2

Re: Don Cherry

Speaking of Don Cherry.....
I stopped watching Hockey Night in Canada because of Don Cherry.
He's dull, repeats himself, and is utterly boring.
So, if anyone asks, that's why I don't watch HNIC anymore.
I used to watch it religiously but not anymore.
Don Daynard, Sooke, B.C.

November 4, 2017 10:46 pm  #3

agreed @unclefester.  he said much the same during the leaf cast...

cherry may be many things to many people but he knows his hockey and how to champion his country

November 4, 2017 11:24 pm  #4

Don Daynard wrote:

Don Daynard, Sooke, B.C.

Well Don I hope you are in agreement with him on this one at least...

November 4, 2017 11:31 pm  #5

splunge wrote:

agreed @unclefester. he said much the same during the leaf cast...

cherry may be many things to many people but he knows his hockey and how to champion his country

I've met him a few times -- first being in 1976...yes I said 1976...

Right/wrong or some place in between he's a huge booster of the military -- first responders and alike...

As it should be...

It's less than a week until November 11th...

Please do what you can...

I'll be listening

November 5, 2017 1:38 am  #6

The biggest help radio hosts and stations could give would be to highlight where to buy a poppy. Twitter could be a big help here. John Moore, John Derringer, Jim Richards, Mike Stafford, Jay Michaels, Ryan Doyle, Christie Blatchford, Kelly Cutrara, everyone could get the word out where to buy one.

Maybe this year, or even next November, some stations could do a couple of remotes at malls where a veteran is located, a chance to meet a war veteran and favorite radio personality, buy a poppy and give people a chance to say thank you.

Kind of a clunky idea I know, but it's frustrating that such an important, easy way to show our support and appreciation, is getting lost.

November 5, 2017 2:03 am  #7

it was a canadian that originated the poppy idea... john mcrae.  don cherry is but a medium for that.  good for him for using his platform for its promotion.

on the other hand... maybe the legion could do something about the pin design so i dont keep losing them!

Last edited by splunge (November 5, 2017 2:09 am)

November 5, 2017 9:42 am  #8

betaylored wrote:

Maybe this year, or even next November, some stations could do a couple of remotes at malls where a veteran is located, a chance to meet a war veteran and favorite radio personality, buy a poppy and give people a chance to say thank you.

Kind of a clunky idea I know but it's frustrating that such an important, easy way to show our support   

Not clunky at all... 

I like your idea very much...

Could some of our "active" members run this idea "upstairs" to get some reaction -- maybe for next year?

Last edited by unclefester (November 5, 2017 10:17 am)

November 5, 2017 11:17 am  #9

unclefester wrote:

maybe for next year?

​Today is only Nov 5 so why next year?   As Carol Morrison told John Milner in American Graffiti "it's not too late, it's NEVER too late"

November 5, 2017 11:57 am  #10

geo wrote:

Today is only Nov 5 so why next year?

Have you ever worked in media?  Live hits from an event just doesn't pop-up overnight; regardless of cause worthiness.

November 5, 2017 3:26 pm  #11

Live hits are easier to do than ever.
All you need is a cellphone or small audio over IP device.
Audio quality these days is pretty decent, especially if you use a microphone.

November 5, 2017 6:22 pm  #12

Have not really followed HIC or the NHL since the "Gilmour" season of 1992/93 ( finally got sick of the Leafs being perennial losers or maybe age).

Anyway I don't agree with his politics but Don Cherry was entertaining. Does he still go on about "Swedes going into a corner with two eggs" ( did that originate with Harold Ballard during the Salming/Hammerstrom era ?).

One person who could be compared to Cherry was Dick Beddoes. A good entertainer on TV and his his Globe and Mail columns were a must read for me. I think he was on the mid week Channel 11 Leaf broadcast and I always looked forward to his segment.

Last edited by Fitz (November 8, 2017 7:55 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 5, 2017 8:10 pm  #13

The ultimate message is irrelevant. I choose not to sup on Herr Cherry's fetid, stale discharge.

November 5, 2017 10:03 pm  #14

Has the Legion really kept the whereabouts of poppies that much of a secret that people have no clue where to get them? Where would a live remote broadcast on? Music stations? Hardly. If someone needs to be told where to get one, they would have clue zero about the significance.

November 8, 2017 1:03 am  #15

Don Daynard wrote:

Don Daynard, Sooke, B.C.

You avoid 6 hours of hockey because of a 7 minute segment?  Sounds logical.

November 8, 2017 8:32 pm  #16

Prod Guy wrote:

Don Daynard wrote:

Don Daynard, Sooke, B.C.

You avoid 6 hours of hockey because of a 7 minute segment?  Sounds logical.

​Dull and boring describes Daynard perfectly.

November 8, 2017 9:21 pm  #17

Don, have you left Courtice for B.C.?  Well WilliamT I always found Don one of the most entertaining people in radio and.....with incredible ratings; when he was doing mornings for CHFI. Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.

November 9, 2017 12:39 am  #18

John D wrote:

Don, have you left Courtice for B.C.?    

...hmmm...seems to me I remember his former partner in crime Erin Davis is now residing in B.C.

Is there a reunion/comeback in the offing?

November 9, 2017 7:03 am  #19

John D wrote:

Don, have you left Courtice for B.C.?  Well WilliamT I always found Don one of the most entertaining people in radio and.....with incredible ratings when he was doing mornings for CHFI

Nevin Grant retired to Courtice; Daynard went to Galt/Preston/Cambridge

November 9, 2017 9:58 am  #20

Kilgore he was living 5 minutes away from my childhood home in Courtice.  Visited him a couple of years back.

November 9, 2017 11:12 am  #21

Courtice is about as far west as one can get a decent signal from the Freddie Vette program (AM 800 CJBQ) which probably explains all the retired disc jocks (incl. D. Daynard and N. Grant) having spent time there