sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2017 10:00 pm  #1

Fan 590 Leaves Local Baseball Fans Shut Out In Last World Series Game

It's the Fall Classic, the World Series and this year it's featured what many pundits are calling some of the greatest games of all time. Every single contest has been covered on the Fan 590, for those unlucky enough not to be near a TV set. And just to add to the drama, it's gone to a seventh and deciding game, the most exciting conclusion in sports.

So what does Sportsnet's Toronto radio outlet do?

It broadcasts the Leaf game instead.

Look, I get it. Nothing but nothing beats the Leafs in this city, despite half a century of mediocrity, although that's admittedly changing this year. And the Jays have long since been playing golf.

But to not carry the final game of one of the most celebrated championships in all of sports is unbelievable to me, especially given the nature of this series. For the Leafs, it's just another regular season game. For the Astros and Dodgers, it's season over, winner take all.

At the very least, they could have found another outlet somewhere to take the final game of 2017. As a sometime listener and a baseball fan, I think it's a pretty sad state of affairs and a strike out for The Fan.

[Edit: While out walking the dog, I managed to listen to the feed over WMVP, the former WCFL, in Chicago. But the reception this night wasn't the best and it's a shame I had to find an alternate so far from a local signal.]

Last edited by RadioActive (November 1, 2017 10:37 pm)

November 2, 2017 1:05 am  #2

Re: Fan 590 Leaves Local Baseball Fans Shut Out In Last World Series Game

just a theory but there may be rights issues involved. a few other MLB games were blacked out on the streaming service during the playoffs.

doesn't rogers have a stake in the leafs?

November 2, 2017 1:34 am  #3

splunge wrote:

doesn't rogers have a stake in the leafs?

From 2012: https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2012/08/22/rogers_bell_finalize_mlse_purchase.html

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 2, 2017 11:35 am  #4

Game was on WGR 550.
BTW thanks to this board I enjoyed the FOX Sports TV version!!!!