sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2017 11:27 am  #1

Markham Station Gets Power Boost

Chances are many here have never listened to CFMS-FM, the station at 105.9, that brands itself The Region. And if you haven't heard it or heard of it, you're not alone. The station went to the CRTC claiming it was on shaky financial ground because of excessive signal interference - it's licenced to serve Markham and York Region - and wanted a power increase from 2,500 watts to 3.000.

And despite complaints from newcomer CJRK in Scarborough that it would reach into their city and compete for ethnic programming revenue, the Commission found the station's case compelling enough to grant the extra wattage, noting it wouldn't likely reach CJRK's coverage area.

CFMS insists its research showed the reason more people in its DMA weren't listening is because they couldn't hear it clearly. (I can't help but wonder if that's because they never actually heard of them, but I digress...)

The new power is supposed to be up and running by October 31, 2019, but given the nature of CFMS's concerns about going broke, it likely won't take that long.

You can read the decision here.

October 31, 2017 3:22 pm  #2

Re: Markham Station Gets Power Boost

It costs a lot of money to run a radio station and nothing for the listener to turn on the radio.
Where is the advertiser backing to support the signal boost?
Did any one company say "Oh sure, we'll run ads on your station if you can fix the signal issues..."

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 31, 2017 3:39 pm  #3

It may be a chicken and egg kind of thing. In its filing with the CRTC, CFMS brass told the Commission "reception issues have resulted in a loss of listeners and have led prospective advertisers to seek alternative opportunities, which has affected the station’s ability to generate revenues."

Would they have gotten those advertisers if not for the signal? Or would those would-be sponsors look for a more prominent station even if the reception was better?

I guess we - and they - will find out soon enough. 

November 2, 2017 2:09 am  #4

geo wrote:

Given TorStar's recent report that in excess of the GTA's population is comprised of visible minorities, and given the fact that Markham's makeup may be even higher, could RECEPTION be a red herring (as they say in Denmark)?

In respect to Markham's population,

I think Reigon FM should test Christian music on a Sunday to see how much of that 44% "discover" the fact that there is even a radio station in Markham...anything to draw attention.

3. RELIGION Within the 70% of the population who reported a religious affiliation, the largest percentage was Christian (44%). Almost one-third (30%) of Markham residents reported no religious affiliation. 

Source:  https://www.markham.ca/wps/wcm/connect/markhampublic/1d50758a-9236-4f2e-b818-a9a4115a77c6/Demographics-Fact-Sheet-2014.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=1d50758a-9236-4f2e-b818-a9a4115a77c6

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 2, 2017 2:13 am)

November 2, 2017 8:50 am  #5

geo wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Within the 70% of the population who reported a religious affiliation . . . Almost one-third (30%) of Markham residents reported no religious affiliation. 

PERFECT.      Move to mid-50s Oldies, often then described as the Devil's music.     Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins, all the time.     

Not to get too technical but believing in the devil would really not fit the people who have no religious affiliation, to quote John Lennon:
I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-Ching
I don't believe in Bible

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 2, 2017 10:35 pm  #6

I should add that there was other non belief expressed in Lennon's song God which is one of the best along with Dear God by XTC. I know I know the thread is about a Markham station's power boost request but the topic did come up.

I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in yoga
I don't believe in kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me
Yoko

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 3, 2017 3:10 am  #7

It's November.
Maybe the solution is to go all Christmas (on November 12) and figure things out from there.

November 13, 2019 11:54 pm  #8

It looks like this station is still alive and they have quite the impressive staff on the payroll.. Galit Solomon, Amber Payie, Tina Cortese, Ann Rohmer.

How can they possibly afford them for being a small local station?

Last edited by Here2day (November 13, 2019 11:55 pm)

November 14, 2019 12:46 am  #9

A power boost also makes the station more appealing to potential buyers.

November 14, 2019 2:40 am  #10

How far does this station reach? 
They're not functioning as a Markham radio station at this point.
More of a York Region radio station it would seem.
Isn't there a MY FM (or whatever) signing on in Georgina soon?
I hope the two don't cross paths for ad revenue...

http://1059theregion.com/santa-claus-parades/  

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 14, 2019 2:50 am)

November 14, 2019 11:30 am  #11

Here2day wrote:

It looks like this station is still alive and they have quite the impressive staff on the payroll.. Galit Solomon, Amber Payie, Tina Cortese, Ann Rohmer.

How can they possibly afford them for being a small local station?

Christine Bentley aswell!  Quite the elite little station!  Time to tune into this.  I can pick it up in Etobicoke mostly in the car I believe.