sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2017 10:13 am  #1

“The Simpsons” Documentary You Almost Missed

I’m not sure how many of us still regularly watch “The Simpsons.” (If you want to feel old, consider that there are some here who were born never knowing a time when that show wasn’t on the air.) Whatever your opinion, you’ll probably agree that the earlier seasons were a lot better.

Which brings us to this Sunday and a sort-of Simpsons episode you won’t see in its regular time slot. It’s a Morgan Spurlock (of “Super Size Me” fame) documentary called “Springfield of Dreams: The Legend of Homer” and centres on the infamous season 3 show in which Mr. Burns hires major league baseball players to try and win his company’s softball game – including the likes of Wade Boggs and former Blue Jay Jose Canseco.

They’re all in this “documentary,” along with sportscaster Joe Buck, which also features appearances by Homer himself and clips and characters from that show. You can watch a preview below. The fact that they all take this seriously is what might make it a classic.

But it’s when it’s airing that’s surprising. The hour long film is scheduled to be shown just after Fox’s early Sunday NFL game. It took some searching, but I found it - it's supposed to turn up here on WUTV, channel 29, at 4:30 PM. But if you’re interested in seeing this bizarre non-primetime special, you might want to leave a little bit of extra DVR time, since no NFL game in history ever ends when it’s supposed to.

Simpsons documentary about 'Homer at the Bat' episode to air Sunday

October 19, 2017 11:22 am  #2

Re: “The Simpsons” Documentary You Almost Missed

The last thing Ned said to her was "No Footlongs"

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 19, 2017 11:49 am  #3

Someone on Youtube explaining the fall of the Simpsons:

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 19, 2017 4:01 pm  #4

> The Simpsons died to me when they killed off Maude Flanders with the t-shirt cannon.

Agreed. The producers were idiots. They turned Homer from a lovable harmless goof, into a moronic fool that caused the death of another "living" person on the show. It made it hard to mock poor Ned Flanders after that, which was one of the show's funniest go-to devices, and the show never recovered after that.

October 19, 2017 9:39 pm  #5

Every Halloween without fail I watch:

1. Treehouse of Horror IV - The Devil and Homer Simpson / Terror at 5 and A Half Feet / Bart Simpson's Dracula

2. The Hunger - David Bowie

Simpsons, South Park, lots of comedy shows jumped the 'snark' and I bet everybody has an old favorite that's just

November 5, 2017 6:33 am  #6

I didn't catch this special, but I did catch Peterborough-native David Kaye as the narrator in that trailer.