sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2017 12:31 pm  #1

What Were They Thinking On CTV's Noon News Tuesday?

Normally, I try not to judge the decisions that are made in Toronto newsrooms, places I hung out at for almost 40 years. But CTV’s choice for its noon news lead was, to say, the least, absolutely baffling.

On the day Ontario’s Auditor-General Bonnie Lysyk issued a report that all but accused the provincial government of lying on its hydro price cut scheme, using language rarely if ever heard of in such a document, CTV News went on the air at noon and led with the obviously much more important yarn about – are you ready? – an MPP’s private member’s bill that would stop employers from forcing women to wear high heel shoes.

Not only did they ignore the obvious lead, they then compounded the idiocy by spending the first six(!) minutes of their show on this essential issue, which is not even law yet, merely a proposal. While I have nothing against the story, it certainly isn’t the most important tale of the day, especially when there’s obviously far more urgent breaking news.

They actually did a few more stories before finally getting to the otherwise excellent Paul Bliss at Queens Park. At first I thought that maybe the story wasn’t ready in time and they had to go with something else. But Bliss had no tape, and simply threw to a live presser of Lysyk reading her report.

Bizarre and shame on CTV. This report could play a big part in next June’s election and to worry more about women's high heels than voters' high dudgeon seems incomprehensible to me. To its credit, Global did a quick debrief piece with its Queen's Park correspondent Alan Carter on its noon show right off the top.

Also, I noticed that as of this posting, the Liberal-friendly Toronto Star hasn’t put this as the lead on its website and the article that is there spends more time on the Wynne’s government’s response than the actual criticism itself.

It’s not exactly fake news. But it definitely involves some pretty curious decisions by the powers-that-be at both those outlets.

October 17, 2017 12:43 pm  #2

Re: What Were They Thinking On CTV's Noon News Tuesday?

With respect, I disagree. Forcing on-air folk to wear high heels is a much bigger concern. It's hard to run to the toilet in them. 👠👠👠👠

October 17, 2017 1:08 pm  #3

Ken Shaw has shapely legs

October 17, 2017 2:09 pm  #4

G D it!!!  And I just bought me some mighty fine lookin' extree high high heels too. 

Who calls the shots re:  that decision over at CFTO these daze?  This kind of high heels infirm-ation crap used to be a kicker kind of end of 'the show' story.  But the end of news as we knew it has to ultimately be followed by the end of news as we know it...and then, finally, the end of news period doesn't it?  Z'matter of fact...they already call it a "show". 

Nice of them to cut that loser WIN 2 breaks here. 

1.  Hide the fact that she's a lyin' turd in the comics...and
2.  Take into consideration that she IS the kind of politician who chooses to wear "comfortable shoes"

Well dung...I mean done...Sifto.  You old salts.

Last edited by Old Codger (October 17, 2017 2:13 pm)

October 17, 2017 2:21 pm  #5

I'm pretty confident they're playing to their demographic. 

Can't fault them for that. 

We could debate the political correctness of assuming that said demographic cares more about heels than the economy, but I would have gone the same route if someone had asked me.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

October 17, 2017 2:32 pm  #6

But doesn't Marilyn cover that kind of poop?  That'd be news for her fans.  [you know...the CHUM FM type listeners, and their ilk, who gather in front of the TV every weekday at noon in the hopes of winning some 'cheese'.]

I guess being a man really is of total and absolute inconsequence.  Samantha Bee was right.

Last edited by Old Codger (October 17, 2017 2:34 pm)

October 17, 2017 2:34 pm  #7

Old Codger wrote:

in the hopes of winning some 'cheese'

Did someone say free cheese?! 🧀

October 17, 2017 2:36 pm  #8

Yep...Ken.

October 17, 2017 3:37 pm  #9

Wow, big blunder, but that is typical of the news these days...a previous post about how CP24 is the number one breakfast/morning show and how it airs in doctors offices, your auto mechanic's waiting room and at your local greasy spoon...making us sicker and eating away at our insides with the amount of negative, ambulance chasing news stories...what happened to good journalism, or something uplifting, positive, thought provoking?

I cannot watch the news too much these days, I don't like the approach, where it focuses on a death, fire, disaster, crime, murder, the ongoing negativity in our geopolitical landscape or some inane political move like the private members bill about high heels, it's a news story, but it is not the lead!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 17, 2017 3:53 pm  #10

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I cannot watch the news too much these days, I don't like the approach, where it focuses on a death, fire, disaster, crime, murder, the ongoing negativity in our geopolitical landscape or some inane political move

What would you prefer it covered? Kittens, unicorns, children's laughter, puppies, clouds and ways to stay happy?!  Yeah, THAT newscast would get lower numbers than 640.  

October 17, 2017 6:22 pm  #11

ig wrote:

I'm pretty confident they're playing to their demographic. 

Can't fault them for that. 

I would have gone the same route if someone had asked me.

I think you've said it all ig

6 minutes coverage might have been a couple minutes too much and the AG's report IS more than a worthy yarn...

But I'm betting the CTV lineup editor either read or heard about the recent post on SOWNY re:  the reaction to the building of a brand new Ikea store in a southwestern Ontario city.

He was likely trying to recreate the buzz...

And --  as the say -- the crowd goes wild...