sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2017 9:28 am  #1

Usual Names Top T.O.'s Summer Radio Ratings

The names and dial positions are all familiar in the Toronto summer radio ratings released by Numeris.

As usual CHFI and CHUM-FM are on top, with CBC Radio 1 also in the overall mix. CHUM clobbers its ’FI competitor in women, 25-54, while men prefer 98.1 (and Q107 and Boom) to 104.5.

See the breakdown here

The overall 12+ numbers are interesting to me – especially when it comes to our old friend AM 640. I know summer is traditionally a fallow period for talk stations – although with the machinations of Trump, Trudeau and the Wynne government, there’s been lots to gab about – but CFMJ is down again.

640 went from an already low 1.5 to a 1.3, and its numbers are anemic with both genders. CFRB, by comparison, has inched even higher than they were in the winter.

Which leads to the question asked here over and over again – how long can Corus continue with that format in the face of ever declining numbers? Don’t get me wrong – I like a lot of things about AM 640 and would hate to see it disappear. But this is an expensive format and they can’t possibly be happy with the small market share it gets - and has been getting for years. And the changes in the morning - and the idiotic way they did it - certainly didn't help.

September 8, 2017 10:49 am  #2

Re: Usual Names Top T.O.'s Summer Radio Ratings

RadioActive wrote:

Which leads to the question asked here over and over again . . .  

Which leads to the remark posted here over & over again . . . are CHUM-FM and CHFI "listeners" really paying attention or are those ears simply being exposed to CHUM & CHFI signals in medical waiting rooms, bus depots and coffee shops, while AM-640's listeners actually tuned in (admittedly not 24/7) to hear favorites such as Cam Stewart, Lou Schizas and the inimitable John Oakley?        

September 8, 2017 11:35 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Which leads to the question asked here over and over again – how long can Corus continue with that format in the face of ever declining numbers? Don’t get me wrong – I like a lot of things about AM 640 and would hate to see it disappear. But this is an expensive format and they can’t possibly be happy with the small market share it gets - and has been getting for years. And the changes in the morning - and the idiotic way they did it - certainly didn't help.

Sounds to me like AM 640 is a tax write off. Who cares how much it costs to run?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 9, 2017 9:50 am  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

Sounds to me like AM 640 is a tax write off.

No need to speculate; dial 1-877-4DIO-TAX and ask for Paul

September 9, 2017 12:20 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

CFRB, by comparison, has inched even higher than they were in the winter.

And yet this doesn't raise any eyebrows...I mean we are talking about an inexact science here. But I suppose questioning numbers even when they're good would earn you your walking papers PDQ these days.

September 9, 2017 6:10 pm  #6

Indie 88.1's ratings while better than AM 640 or 1050 do not shine. How long will Central Ontario Broadcasting give them or is the poor signal strength  and dial location a factor ?

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 10, 2017 7:51 pm  #7

Dial position doesn't really mean anything anymore. 

Top station in Vancouver: 88.1
Good run at #1 in Edmonton: 91.7
Top 3 in Ottawa: 91.5, 89.9, 88.5