sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2017 8:04 am  #1

Long E's and Long A's -- WTF??

We've got a local sportscaster who hits the airwaves bright and early...first one on in the market...first opportunity to catch the local scores of interest...

This chap however has the very annoying (to me) habit of  mangling his copy 15 to 20 times a sportscast...

He will pronounce the word "the" as "thee"...with the long e sound and do likewise with his a's...using the long a approach...

To be more illustrative he will call them ..."thee Toronto Blue Jays"....or "thee Toronto Maple Leafs"...or "thee Baltimore Orioles"....

The same mispronunciation occurs with him using a  "long a"  instead of the correct "short a"

15 to 20 times per 3 minute sportscast this goes on...over and over again...'cast after 'cast...

I listen to him when he first comes on...because he's first in the market and then I'm done...no more....

I 'm surprised  nobody at his place of employ has corrected him...

He could have been a butcher...

September 8, 2017 8:13 am  #2

Re: Long E's and Long A's -- WTF??

"thee" & "thou". . . could he be Amish?

September 8, 2017 8:27 am  #3

Kilgore wrote:

. . . could he be Amish?

Don't believe so but I do know he is Toronto born -- raised and educated...

September 8, 2017 9:23 am  #4

There are Amish in Markham

September 8, 2017 1:15 pm  #5

The american THE is with a short E and is pronounced THA.

The british-influenced pronunciation of THE, that most canadians use, is with a long E, as in THEE.

Canadian actors and voice actors learn early on to switch back and forth between the two.

On occasion, usually during sports reports, you can hear an extra long E on THE, which can sound irritating and overly hearty.

Want to suss out where someone is from? Ask them to say TORONTO, and count how many T's you hear...

September 8, 2017 2:30 pm  #6

betaylored wrote:

=

The british-influenced pronunciation of THE, that most canadians use, is with a long E, as in THEE.

Only when the next word starts with a vowel sound. Thee earth, The Sun. Same circumstance as A/an.

Last edited by Don (September 8, 2017 2:30 pm)

September 8, 2017 5:24 pm  #7

Thanks to betaylored and Don.  That was always how I was taught to enunciate.  Shouldn't we get CanCon points for using the Queen's English rather than Americanisms?

September 8, 2017 5:56 pm  #8

betaylored wrote:

Want to suss out where someone is from? Ask them to say TORONTO, and count how many T's you hear...

I"ll bite; response is "Tarahna" where are they from?

September 8, 2017 7:04 pm  #9

geo wrote:

betaylored wrote:

I"ll bite; response is "Tarahna" where are they from?

I was born in Toronto, but grew up in Beaconsfield, Quebec, so I say Tahrontoe, but Tarahna's fine too 'geo' and that's how people from Toronto usually say it, with a single T.. two T's when they say Toronto can mean they aren't from Tarahna and may be from another province.

We can get even more specific 'splunge', with THE also pronounced as "theh" if a canadian short E THE is required, per the general, but not always followed guideline 'Don' gave us. I agree with you.

Depending on the circumstances, I think the american THE can sound sloppy. 'Tha arm' for example...guess it depends on what people grow up hearing.

Last edited by betaylored (September 8, 2017 8:17 pm)

September 8, 2017 8:50 pm  #10

Don wrote:

betaylored wrote:

=

Only when the next word starts with a vowel sound. Thee earth, The Sun. Same circumstance as A/an.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

....ding ding ding ding.....we have a winner...

I think your well made point is about grade 3 level English class...

Last edited by unclefester (September 9, 2017 12:00 am)

September 9, 2017 12:11 pm  #11

Grade 3 unclefester......grade 3? Maybe in the grade school system of the 1960's and 1970's but these days?

Last week on 'The Stafford Show' Mike talked about the difference between a hard and soft G. No strings were mentioned and a clip for 'the happy ending' was lost. (Not unlike the general awareness/knowledge of phonetics.)

Grade 3? Pfui! as Nero Wolfe would say.

Last edited by betaylored (September 9, 2017 5:14 pm)

September 9, 2017 12:26 pm  #12

What is the problem Fester?  Gotta stay with the times.  It's a modern day communicative improvement...soon to be with us industry wide.  Those of us who fall behind will be left behind to thumb through our dog earned and well worn CHUM Charts...singin' along with all of the Bobbys and twistin' the afternoon away at the senior's home wondering what thee 'ell 'Appened.

September 9, 2017 1:04 pm  #13

If you're going to quote, then you also have to go by..

"I am nobody's friend. How much can you pay?"

Radio 101

betaylored wrote:

Grade 3 unclefester......grade 3? Maybe in the grade school system of the 1960's and 1970's but these days?

Last week on 'The Stafford Show' Mike talked about the difference between a hard and soft G. No strings were mentioned and a clip for 'the happy ending' was lost. (Not unlike the general awareness/knowledge of phonetics.)

Grade 3? Pui! as Nero Wolfe would say.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 10, 2017 12:34 pm  #14

Acceptable. With Nero Wolfe's "Only the man who knows too little knows too much." for use regarding some radio consultants and brand managers perhaps "ig"?

Last edited by betaylored (September 10, 2017 2:54 pm)

September 11, 2017 6:37 am  #15

grilled.cheese wrote:

This is fascinating.   Great minds debating the important issues of our day.

For the 7:00 a.m. news, is that "thee" important issues or "thuh" important issues, please

September 11, 2017 8:27 am  #16

geo wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

This is fascinating.   Great minds debating the important issues of our day.

For the 7:00 a.m. news, is that "thee" important issues or "thuh" important issues, please

I say "Take Up Thy Stethoscope and walk"

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/