sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2017 5:12 pm  #1

Bobcat and John Shannon discuss radio talent with former FAN590 boss

Just after four this afternoon, Nelson Millman, former Rogers executive, and a former PD of THE FAN590, joined Bobcat and John Shannon to discuss all things radio. It was entertaining and surprisingly "inside baseball."

They talked airchecks, and really debated whether 'being yourself' or creating a personality was a better approach for working on-air.

Nelson owned up to pretty much firing a couple of now very well known names by leaving them a note on a fridge, and he was realistic when he was asked if he'd ever missed out on not hiring someone.

It's worth going to the Sportsnet website to give a listen.

Last edited by betaylored (September 5, 2017 5:14 pm)

September 5, 2017 5:31 pm  #2

Re: Bobcat and John Shannon discuss radio talent with former FAN590 boss

September 5, 2017 5:53 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Hear here. 

Thanks RadioActive!! (How I managed my own board, turntables, CD players and all the other techie stuff while doing my radio show remains a mystery.) 😎

September 6, 2017 4:51 pm  #4

Wednesday is apparently the final installment of the 25 year celebration, featuring the Fan's first P.D. Allan Davis (who also worked at CJCL in its former incarnation as a talk-music hybrid.) He talks about how the station evolved, what it took to decide the format would work here, how they struggled to get it on the air and what happened to the ratings during the year of sport strikes.  

Allan Davis on the Fan 590's origins

Davis is now in charge of WGR, the all sports station in Buffalo. 

September 6, 2017 8:38 pm  #5

As interesting as it was to hear the back story, from "them that lived it", over the last couple of days, when I tuned in to 590 this afternoon, and it was still a stroll down memory lane, I listened until the break, and then immediately returned to Overdrive on TSN, for the offbeat, hockey obsessed, more like a podcast radio team of Bryan Hayes, Noodles, and Jeff O'Neill.

(However, I will be clicking on the link to hear the rest of the story, thanks once again, to RadioActive.)

Anniversaries/milestones not withstanding, it would be pretty amazing to get a variation of the retrospective program treatment for Newstalk 1010, and 102.1 and Q107 on the FM dial.

Becky Coles, Alan Cross, Jeff Woods... how about it?