sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2015 8:20 am  #1

old DJs never die, they become real estate promoters

Homes & Condos section of today's Tor Star has a couple interesting items regarding 1331 Yonge's redevelopment

July 4, 2015 8:59 am  #2

Re: old DJs never die, they become real estate promoters

"Upper Rosedale"  Gimme a break.  These real estate agents crack me up.  At least it's no longer "Upper Beaches" (or beach) .  I get it btw, Jackes ave.  But it's still a really stupid name.

Following in CHUM’s famous footsteps
(Via TheStar)

The Jack promises to bring revolution to Rosedale.

Yet the new 11-storey condo from Aspen Ridge Homes is actually staying true to the location — and original building’s roots — with that promise. The 153-unit boutique condominium will be built at 1331 Yonge St., just south of St. Clair Ave., formerly the site of the CHUM Radio headquarters.

In its heyday — before CHUM sold the property and moved downtown to 250 Richmond St. W. — the building was the city’s rock ’n’ roll mecca. Artists such as Paul McCartney, Elton John and Frank Zappa dropped by for interviews. When Bay City Rollers and The Osmonds showed up to go live on-air, they triggered fan mayhem on Yonge St., recalls CHUM FM morning host Roger Ashby.

The old CHUM building is being demolished to make way for The Jack but the development team vows the project taking its place will create a big buzz of its own, a “revolution in luxury living” for upper Rosedale.
Site of significance: Given the storied past of The Jack’s site, its fate has been the source of some intrigue.
“Everyone always asks us about this location,” says Christene De Gasperis, vice-president of Aspen Ridge Homes which acquired the property seven years ago. “So we realize the significance of what the site meant to the city. It’s probably one of the most important sites we’ve had, and we knew all eyes would be on us.” Her team went to great lengths to ensure the development does justice to its high-profile history. They would have liked to keep the iconic “Dial 1050 CHUM” neon sign that had adorned 1331 Yonge St., but it went with the station when it moved downtown.

What’s on offer: Units at The Jack range from 590 square feet to the 3,500-square-foot penthouse, which has yet to be released. Prices start at $450,000 and go to over $3.5 million for the penthouse. Each suite, designed by II BY IV Design, will have outdoor space: a large terrace for upper level units facing south and west; balconies on the building’s east-facing side; and juliette balconies on the lower-level street-facing side.

More...

Last edited by ig (July 4, 2015 9:04 am)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 4, 2015 3:53 pm  #3

the jack? hey, that was another station. you'd think they would have kept with the property's heritage and call it... the team.

July 4, 2015 3:54 pm  #4

Even 'The Bob' would have been better, though a bit more suggestive .

Considered and rejected were "The Rogers" and "The CFTR"

Chongs would have been funny!  Or even The Ports.

the original hank wrote:

the jack? hey, that was another station. you'd think they would have kept with the property's heritage and call it... the team.

July 5, 2015 8:23 am  #5

All kidding aside, it was thoughtful of them to grant (pun unintended) first right of refusal on the $3.5 million penthouse to fans who were abruptly locked out & left standing in the rain the day of the final open house

July 6, 2015 4:18 pm  #6

My mistake.  I thought the OP was pointing to how former announcers like George Hamberger later became real estate agents. 

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 6, 2015 9:36 pm  #7

I thought so as well. Another one was Brian Master who at last check was selling properties in the Niagara region. I've also worked with a few folks who left radio to go to real estate. There must be something about both that attracts some of the same people.

July 6, 2015 9:41 pm  #8

kevjo wrote:

I thought so as well. Another one was Brian Master who at last check was selling properties in the Niagara region..

Just when I thought I was out...  They pull me back in

Master left CHFI in January, 2002. He went into real estate in 2005 but has since returned to radio as the Jewel Network Program Director at Evanov Radio Group in Toronto.