sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 4, 2017 1:47 pm  #1

The Fan 590 Celebrates 25 Yrs. As An All Sports Station

Rogers' The Fan 590 is running beaucoup promos on Monday noting it's been 25 years to the day since they started as Toronto's first all sports station. Of course, Rogers didn't own them at the time (it was still in the hands of Telemedia, IIRC) and it wasn't at 590 either.

The Fan 1430 benefited from the Blue Jays runs to the World Series, but the best thing that ever happened to the place was switching to the vastly superior 590 frequency. How big a problem was that old signal? In a wonderful article about CJCL's attempt at a hybrid talk-music station in the early 80s, former executive Leslie Sole recalls what a detriment 1430 turned out to be.

"We couldn’t get our signal fixed on Toronto Island because it would kill exotic plants created by poor grounding and U of T botanists wouldn’t hear of us cutting down the mutant plants. Owner Foster Hewitt had given up on grounding years before because the copper kept getting stolen. So about 25,000 watts was going straight into the earth."

Anyway, the station is spending an otherwise quiet Labour Day looking back. Worth a listen if you like old radio reminiscences.

September 4, 2017 2:24 pm  #2

Re: The Fan 590 Celebrates 25 Yrs. As An All Sports Station

Thanks for posting this, I have been listening since day one, long time listener and a first time caller...but I remember Bob McCown with the late Jim "Shaky" Hunt, and Wilbur was on then too...They brought in Mike Nichols (I think) for the morning show back then.

The Fan has given us Strombo, Dan Shulman, and even Jimberly, (Jim Richards) back in the early days...

Here is to another 25 years!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 4, 2017 4:20 pm  #3

Think you mean "Mike Inglis" (not Mike Nichols)

September 4, 2017 9:21 pm  #4

Thanks Damian!

I meant Mike Inglis!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...