sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2017 9:50 am  #1

Hurricane Harvey

I can only imagine what the local talk coverage will be on Monday...panel discussions with PR reps on how Harvey's Canada should address associations with its namesake?

August 27, 2017 11:51 am  #2

Re: Hurricane Harvey

I think Harvey's restaurants will be fine...even though it does share the same name as the Hurricane...and now a tropical depression...

But it reminds me of the Buddhist Monk who walked into Harvey's and ordered a Cheeseburger ..."A cheeseburger, I thought...are they not allowed to eat meat"? I asked silently...

Then when the clerk at the cash asked the Monk, what he wanted on his cheeseburger, he replied as only a Monk can, "Make me one with everything"!

(I am here all week, try the veal)!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

August 27, 2017 12:11 pm  #3

Speaking of Harvey, I just tuned around a number of Houston stations online. It's astounding to me how many seem to have regular programming (i.e. music), even as much of their city is underwater. (Although they could all be on automation, as the staff takes shelter.)

For anyone interested in hearing live local coverage of the disaster, the best seems to be KTRH, one of the all news stations there.

KTRH Listen Live

August 27, 2017 1:04 pm  #4

Houston's NPR was taking audio from KHOU in the morning (until KHOU had to abandon their facilities and their remote's batteries died).

August 27, 2017 4:42 pm  #5

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I think Harvey's restaurants will be fine...even though it does share the same name as the Hurricane...and now a tropical depression...

But it reminds me of the Buddhist Monk who walked into Harvey's and ordered a Cheeseburger ..."A cheeseburger, I thought...are they not allowed to eat meat"? I asked silently...

Then when the clerk at the cash asked the Monk, what he wanted on his cheeseburger, he replied as only a Monk can, "Make me one with everything"!

(I am here all week, try the veal)!

Then there's the Buddhist vacuum cleaner, it comes without attachments.

Twitter is being used by both the flood victims in coastal Texas, and their families that live out of state to organize rescues. People who own boats are using them to help those that are stranded. The pictures of the flooding are really powerful. Radio hosts will have a challenge on their hands to capture the magnitude of it on Monday.

Last edited by betaylored (August 27, 2017 6:21 pm)

August 27, 2017 10:53 pm  #6

Chrisphen wrote:

Houston's NPR was taking audio from KHOU in the morning (until KHOU had to abandon their facilities and their remote's batteries died).

KHOU is now showing the live stream of competitor WFAA on its website.

August 28, 2017 7:45 pm  #7

We've all seen the amazing stories of strangers helping rescue people from Harvey, but this article talks about it from the standpoint of reporters and anchors at local Houston TV stations and what they've been going through trying to cover this endless disaster - all the while struggling to stay on the air and worry about their own families.

Some really mind boggling stuff that most of us who have worked in TV news likely never even thought about. 

Houston TV stations struggle to stay on air as waters rise