sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2017 5:44 pm  #1

One Of Canada's Legendary D.J.s Readies His Final On-Air Show

You don't have to be from B.C. to know who Red Robinson is. The Vancouver-based disc jockey has been on the air for around 60 years and is about to sign off for the final time. The station he's been on for the past few years, CISL 650, has been bought by Rogers and is being switched from soft oldies to a SportsNet format in September.

His finale promises another legendary guest - Seattle's famous jock Pat O'Day. The last "Red Rock Diner" airs August 27th at 4 PM Eastern time and can be heard online here

So long, Red: Broadcaster Robinson to sign off with a special radio show this month 

August 26, 2017 10:02 pm  #2

Re: One Of Canada's Legendary D.J.s Readies His Final On-Air Show

Just a final reminder in case you want to listen to some Canadian radio history, legendary DJ Red Robinson is doing his final show on Sunday. It comes on the last day of Vancouver's CISL 650 as an oldies station. Rogers is switching the format to all sports on Monday. 

Robinson admits that at age 80, this was the perfect reason to turn off his mic for good. I'll say. He's been doing this shtick at various call letters for an incredible 63 years, which easily beats Wally Crouter's 50 years on air - although the CFRB veteran did it at one station. 

The final "Red Rock Diner" airs from 3-7 PM eastern time, and can be heard here.  

Radio legend Red Robinson prepares to hang up his headphones

August 27, 2017 7:05 pm  #3

So what did Red Robinson choose as his last song on the radio after 63 years of playing the hits?

"(I've Had) The Time Of My Life" by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes from Dirty Dancing. 

I would have thought it would have been something from the 50s or 60s, but I guess that's appropriate.  

August 27, 2017 7:44 pm  #4

it doesn't matter anymore

August 27, 2017 7:49 pm  #5

"Goodbye" by Mary Hopkin,

"It's Over" by Roy Orbison. 

Or considering that Rogers is taking over, how about "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" by the Animals?