sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2017 5:46 pm  #1

Sha - po - va - lov : Gotta love love the radio hosts brave attempts

When everyone from John Moore to Bryan Hayes is carefully trying to sound out the pronunciation of newest tennis sensation Denis Shapovalov, you know it's gotta be a doozy to try and say.

Considering that there's an eastern european brother duo playing in the NHL that choose to pronounce the family name two different ways, the Shapovalov stumbling is understandable.

The "emma saying" YouTube channel is a useful resource I came across today when I was sorting out how to pronounce Shapovalov. Emma's charming Heather Purdon-ish voice pronounces the word in question several times in the minute long video.

I'm not the first person on t.b.y.b. to notice people's problems with pronouncing words.

The correct way to say something is a click away, and there's lots of pronunciation YouTube channels, not just the "emma saying" channel.

It's time to take a second and get it right.....emma just saying.😎

August 14, 2017 7:27 pm  #2

Re: Sha - po - va - lov : Gotta love love the radio hosts brave attempts

Is there a pronunciation guide for Tom? Fab-OO-less.

August 14, 2017 10:37 pm  #3

Charlie wrote:

I wonder how long John Moore had to practice his morning traffic girl's name?  He seems to have it down, although I still don't have any idea what her name is.  I just call her Hakeem Alaijouan.

http://sowny.net/viewtopic.php?pid=10514#p10514

August 15, 2017 9:24 am  #4

Charlie wrote:

I wonder how long John Moore had to practice his morning traffic girl's name?  He seems to have it down, although I still don't have any idea what her name is.  I just call her Hakeem Alaijouan.

Most people pronounce Adwoa's first name with just the two syllables. John pays her the courtesy of correctly saying it the way she does, with three syllables. 

John has talked about his parents, and the way he was raised, so I think to say Adwoa's entire name properly is merely standard good manners to John, and as he speaks french, and is a voice actor/actor, he captures the melody of her name.

Sidenote re Frank D'Angelo. Is he the unofficial mascot of the big yellow board? And has he ever sold Frank D'Angelo Socks? 😎