sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2017 9:03 am  #1

Newstalk 1010 gives good socks

Just heard the John Moore version of the "buy our socks!" ad, and it's a good one, playing off Moore's classic voice actor talent, with  'in a world...' mock gravitas.

Jim Richards did his own version, in his Jimberly laid back style, and that ad worked too.

Will the Jerry Agar version have him disagreeing and arguing about the socks?

And also, it would have been a hoot to hear what Mike Bullard would have come up with.😎

August 11, 2017 10:15 am  #2

Re: Newstalk 1010 gives good socks

betaylored wrote:

I heard the Agar ad early this morning...

And you are 100 per cent right...

Jerry is combative and brash...using words like "jerk" and "idiot" and some others...

I love Jerry...we're two peas in a pod so to speak...but I immediately disliked the spot...

At about 6:45 a.m. when it aired...it was a jolt I didn't really need....

Maybe later in the day....maybe....

Last edited by unclefester (August 13, 2017 9:56 pm)

August 11, 2017 10:25 am  #3

betaylored wrote:

I disagree more often than not with Jerry Agar.  But what's worse, much worse, is his delivery.  He literally spits his bombastic rhetoric at you.  John Moore has a grace, reason & rationale about him.  Agar isn't much different than the loud, obnoxious drunk sitting at the end of the bar.

August 12, 2017 9:35 pm  #4

Charlie wrote:

...Shurman regularly cuts off callers to get back to his own rant...

You think he does that a lot now? He was even worst pre-PC when he was at 1010. I think he was a program director or something but he use to fill in quite often for on-air talent. Loves to hear himself talk. 
I actually enjoy him. He's articulate and intelligent but could be so much better if he resisted the temptation to be the show.

August 13, 2017 6:16 am  #5

Justalistener wrote:

He was even worst pre-PC when he was at 1010.  I actually enjoy him. He's articulate and intelligent but could be so much better if he resisted the temptation to be the show.

What is "pre-PC"?

August 13, 2017 6:35 am  #6

unclefester wrote:

betaylored wrote:

I heard the Agar ad early this morning...

And you are 100 per cent right...

Jerry is combative and brash...using works like "jerk" and "idiot" and some others...

I love Jerry...we're two peas in a pod so to speak...but I immediately disliked the spot...

At about 6:45 a.m. when it aired...it was a jolt I didn't really need....

Maybe later in the day....maybe....

I enjoy Jerry's show the most every Friday from 11:00am. to twelve noon. His sharp, questioning mind takes the hard core "eat clean" advice of his regular nutritionist guest, and boils it down to practical ideas on how to eat less crap so you feel less crappy. And then, the second half hour with Bob Reed is Jerry talking to a peer, with the whole public relations twist giving listeners a new view of stories they've already heard.

Strong, contradictory opinions, on the big yellow board, in radio, and in "real life" are a much needed shot of espresso in our double double world.😎

August 13, 2017 9:14 pm  #7

Charlie wrote:

One thing I do love about Agar is his on-going crusade against the liberal Wynne government's incompetent, corrupt, wasteful policies that have badly damaged this once-great province. 

For that, he gets full marks.    

Amen to that...

Recently Jerry was talking about CNN and their 25 hour a day -- 8 day a week crusade against the Trumpster...

He said that CNN  "have lost their collective minds..."

He's right about that too...

August 14, 2017 1:02 am  #8

Ms. C. wrote:

Justalistener wrote:

He was even worst pre-PC when he was at 1010.  I actually enjoy him. He's articulate and intelligent but could be so much better if he resisted the temptation to be the show.

What is "pre-PC"?

Referring to his stint as a MPP for the Progressive Conservatives.

August 17, 2017 8:10 pm  #9

Charlie wrote:

g121 wrote:

betaylored wrote:

I disagree more often than not with Jerry Agar.  But what's worse, much worse, is his delivery.  He literally spits his bombastic rhetoric at you.  John Moore has a grace, reason & rationale about him.  Agar isn't much different than the loud, obnoxious drunk sitting at the end of the bar.

Regular 640 fill-in Peter Shurman is much like Agar.  Strong on-air hosts, but ultimately all about themselves, and their opinions.  Shurman regularly cuts off callers to get back to his own rant, which after a while gets annoying.  A good radio drinking game is, take a shot every time Shurman says 'That being said', or 'I don't mean to cut you off, but...'  You'll be plastered an hour into his shift.

I can take Shurman all day, Agar 10 mins
Stockwell needs a show somewhere - anywhere!

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane