sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2017 1:15 pm  #1

CBC Announces New Hosts Of "The National"

And the new hosts of The National are:

The Three Stooges!

O.K., just kidding. It was already known that the long running show would have more than one host. On Tuesday, they finally named those names in a long drawn out news conference that endlessly teased the announcement before they finally made it. You would have thought they were revealing state secrets it went on so long.

Anyway, as reported, they’ll be based in Vancouver, Ottawa as well as Toronto. And there will actually be four of them.  And the “winners” are:

Toronto – Adrienne Arsenault, named “Senior Correspondent”

Toronto - Ian Hanomansing

Ottawa – Rosemary Barton.

Vancouver – Andrew Chang 

The new National makes its debut on CBC on November 6th.

CBC.ca: Meet the new hosts

August 1, 2017 1:59 pm  #2

Re: CBC Announces New Hosts Of "The National"

August 1, 2017 2:41 pm  #3

Am startled to read that Ian Hanomansing will be coming here.     When Jim Robson (Canucks play-by-play) was offered the Hockey Night in Canada gig three (3) decades ago, he famously declared "not if it means living in Toronto"

August 1, 2017 3:58 pm  #4

geo wrote:

Am startled to read that Ian Hanomansing will be coming here.     When Jim Robson (Canucks play-by-play) was offered the Hockey Night in Canada gig three (3) decades ago, he famously declared "not if it means living in Toronto"

oooo...Ian 'Handsome-man-thing' back in the big smoke again - good for him.
But overall 'meh.  I'm likely going to stay with Lisa.  It only took one to do the job before - Cronkite, Brinkley, Brokaw, Jennings, Nash etc.  I guess big budgets permit big productions.

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

August 1, 2017 4:26 pm  #5

"Good night, Chet; Good night, David." That makes two. 1956 to 1970. NBC.

August 1, 2017 4:55 pm  #6

mike marshall wrote:

"Good night, Chet; Good night, David." That makes two. 1956 to 1970. NBC.

True that, though I did not start watching TV until the late 60's when that other formidable duo come on the scene - Bert and Ernie.

So are they going to be punting off from TO to Ott to Van, back to TO ?

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

August 1, 2017 5:13 pm  #7

So City is going anchor-free while that waste of taxpayers bottomless pit is going to be hosted by a mob? 🙄🤔

August 1, 2017 9:35 pm  #8

cGrant wrote:

So City is going anchor-free while that waste of taxpayers bottomless pit is going to be hosted by a mob? 🙄🤔

Hopefully City's empty desks will blow the roof off this mob scandal.

August 1, 2017 9:53 pm  #9

What?!?!?  I didn't get the gig?  CRAP!!!  Cheese musta told 'em I was too old.  I wouldn't move back to T.O. on a bet.  Can't afford Vancouver.  And Ottawa?  Nope.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

August 1, 2017 11:23 pm  #10

This seems like a lot effort for no reason.  That National has always been tweaked for the eastern time zone after going out live to the Atlantic time zone.  Couldn't they just do that for the western part of the country on the rare nights when news continues to break?.  Are they really going to keep crews around in Ottawa and Toronto until 2 am just so Alberta and BC can have live shows?  With all of eastern and central Canada asleep by then, isn't it basically just a 10 pm local newscast in the west?

August 2, 2017 3:42 pm  #11

Based on some previous inside information, the original plan was to go with rotating hosts for a year and then decide on a permanent single anchor.
The rotating host thingie has been done in summertime by both CBC and CTV, similar to the on air auditions by radio stations looking for new talent.
Perhaps this plan has been changed.
The problem with the so called "flagship" national news broadcast is that they're three hours out of date by the time we see them here on the left coast.
As usual, everything is Toronto focused.
They're also trying to go for the younger demographic with a focus on digital because no one under the age of 30 watches "appointment viewing" on Television.
Everyone wants to watch and hear what they want on their schedule so the focus on digital delivery makes a lot of sense.
Hopefully, that focus won't lead to the "dumbing down" of coverage with fewer experienced reporters and support staff.

August 3, 2017 12:57 pm  #12

Mike Cleaver wrote:

The problem with the so called "flagship" national news broadcast is that they're three hours out of date by the time we see them here on the left coast.
As usual, everything is Toronto focused.

But...but....but....Mike!!!  What are we to do?  Let everything news worthy launch from the west coast and make the rest of the country wait until tomorrow to find out what happened?  Network TV news is already an after the fact presentation.  The fact that you live within sight of the Rockies doesn't work when it comes to news or elections.  Living in 'Newfunland' means you miss out by falling asleep before the news actually happens.  Radio has the chance to be the most up-to-date news service ... at least hourly...if not sooner.  Radio just wastes that specific 'leg up'.  They figure, in this day and age, that that leg up is to be used for anointing trees and fire hydrants.  It should be used for anointing ownership, shareholders and management/programming.

Anyway...ask 'cheese'...I'm WAY too old to stay up for 'The National'...let alone Lisa.  I need to be in bed by 9:00.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[...And they won't cut back on coverage as long as they keep getting 'free' tax money to run their little anal retentive  'hobby'.]

Last edited by Old Codger (August 3, 2017 1:00 pm)

August 3, 2017 9:02 pm  #13

If the National is the present state of news reporting, Beme News on YouTube may show what the future holds.

Beme News Update #3: Dunkirk. Casey Neistat gives the Coles Notes on the events in World War II leading up to Dunkirk. There's Calgary Global News footage of a 97 year-old survivor of the battle, then two Beme producers fly from New York to Calgary and interview him. It's high energy and upbeat story telling/reporting.

While Beme News is still clearly sorting out their identity, and has unabashedly said as much, CNN, who bought Beme from Casey Neistat, is betting that the over seven million subscribers following Casey, and his high profile in the media, will translate to a new way to reach the kids and grandkids of the viewers of traditional news.

Watching Bell, Rogers, the CBC, and upstarts like Beme News figure it out, could be newsworthy....

Last edited by betaylored (August 3, 2017 9:25 pm)

November 5, 2017 10:58 pm  #14

The new "National" debuts Monday at 10 PM with the four horsemen of the apocalyp - er, I mean the four anchors. They promise a fresh set, a fresh concept and a fresh chance to see how much of your taxpayer money is being wasted.

Behind the scenes at CBC’s new National: Four hosts, one big risk 

November 7, 2017 9:01 pm  #15

No quibbles with any of the chosen hosts, though four may turn out to be one or two too many. I couldn't help wondering if the suits considered Susan Ormiston, who did a hell of a job leading into this new format. Classy!

November 7, 2017 10:23 pm  #16

Surprised Wendy Mesley wasn't one of the four, not that I'm a fan.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 16, 2017 8:41 pm  #17

Initial numbers aren't terrible, but they're not great, either. 

New National ratings no better than Mansbridge’s, but CBC isn’t worried

November 16, 2017 8:49 pm  #18

Maybe they need to add more hosts? Or take a cue from AM640 and have their producers, writers, graphics, bored bunnies, janitors interrupt every 30 seconds.

November 17, 2017 1:40 am  #19

RadioActive wrote:

Initial numbers aren't terrible, but they're not great, either. 

New National ratings no better than Mansbridge’s, but CBC isn’t worried

Why do they have to worry about ratings? They have our one billion plus in tax dollars whether a single soul watches or not.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 17, 2017 1:56 am  #20

Dale Patterson wrote:

Why do they have to worry about ratings? They have our one billion plus in tax dollars whether a single soul watches or not.

I've always wondered that myself on the radio side where they don't sell ads.  But at least on TV, there is advertising and I suppose it's not unexpected for advertisers to want to know if anyone is watching.

What's more intriguing is the huge uptake in streaming numbers.  They only talk about live streaming.  Do they black out the advertising on the live stream as they often do in sports?  If you watch the recorded stream, advertising is removed.

November 17, 2017 8:07 am  #21

Dale Patterson wrote:

Because they not only get the tax dollars, extra revenue from TV ads is always helpful, I suppose.
Here's an interesting read:  http://mediaincanada.com/2017/07/28/conventional-ad-revenue-down-cbcs-up-report/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 17, 2017 8:30 am  #22

Dale Patterson wrote:

I've often wondered this, as well, especially when it comes to CBC radio. It's the same question I have on all those endless - and expensive - LCBO ads that are constantly airing on Ontario radio stations. It's not like you can get their product anywhere else. But taxpayers are doling out huge chunks of cash to create and air them.

It's enough to drive you to drink. Except we know where you'd have to go to get it...