sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2015 2:48 pm  #1

Upstart Canadian channel Gusto TV tries to take on Food Network

This sounds more like King Cnut than a David/Goliath scenario. 
(Via Winnipeg Free Press)

Has Chris Knight bitten off more than he can chew?

The Ottawa-based entrepreneur spent years producing cooking shows for The Food Network and others. Then he decided he wanted to run his own network, Gusto TV.

Knight went to, as he describes them, "a number of the learned, sage, elder statesmen of the broadcast industry."

"To a person I was told I was out of my mind," he recalls.

With the Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission signalling an upcoming shift toward a la carte programming, even the Big Three Canadian media companies — Bell, Rogers and Shaw — are expected to shed specialty channels, not add them.

What was once seen as a license to print money has become — in an uncertain advertising environment — a risky business.

Knight knew the risks but jumped in anyway. He seems to take a perverse delight in being a David up against the Goliaths of Canadian broadcasting.

more...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 29, 2015 9:22 pm  #2

Re: Upstart Canadian channel Gusto TV tries to take on Food Network

All I need is Rachel Ray, and reruns of the Galloping Gourmet...

Last edited by Glen Warren (May 29, 2015 9:22 pm)

May 29, 2015 10:44 pm  #3

I had no idea it even existed until I read the article.  Found it on my Bell program guide and was rather, ummm, underwhelmed by the schedule.

I mean, it's better than what the Food Network has turned into because they actually cook on this channel, but at this point, is it too little, too late?

Oh yeah, and count me in as someone who love to see the _old_ cooking like the original Galloping Gourmet shows (produced at CJOH I think) and even the old Julia Child French Chef shows.  Come to think of it, there are probbably enough vintage cooking shows that you could program a channel entirely with old material.

May 29, 2015 11:02 pm  #4

Peter the K wrote:

Oh yeah, and count me in as someone who love to see the _old_ cooking like the original Galloping Gourmet shows (produced at CJOH I think) and even the old Julia Child French Chef shows.  Come to think of it, there are probbably enough vintage cooking shows that you could program a channel entirely with old material.

Same here.  If you can have a game show tv channel you can have a vintage cooking show channel.  As you said, the drama-free galloping gourmet, julia, urban peasant, even Yan shows were so much more of a pleasure to watch than Ramsey hamming it up for the camera.  Bring back Fanny Cradock .

Apparently Graham Kerr is still hanging in at 81, and Treena is still part of the team also.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 11, 2017 12:34 pm  #5

This channel replaced M3, but is it doing better for them than M3 did?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 11, 2017 1:14 pm  #6

Gusto is the AM 640 to Food Net's 1010.

June 13, 2017 8:37 pm  #7

Let's not forget the Brits, the 2 Fat Ladies with motorbike and sidecar.