sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2017 1:27 pm  #1

What Were They Thinking On CTV’s Noon News Friday?

I’m generally not one to question someone’s news judgment, but what the hell were they thinking on CTV’s Noon News on Friday?

The first 15 minutes of the cast was taken up entirely with the presser and the reaction to the $10 million-plus settlement given to Omar Khadr. The money has sparked a lot of outrage all over Canada, proven by the fact they devoted so much time to the story. (As someone who’s worked in TV news for a quarter of a century, I can assure you that it’s exceedingly rare for a commercial broadcaster to give that much time to one topic.)

So far, so good. But then after a completely self serving two minute commercial-disguised-as-an-interview for Bell Media owned Discovery Channel's “Shark Week,” it came time to reveal the day’s “Talkback Toronto” question and invite phone calls.

And what did they pick to discuss on a day when the Khdar deal was the only thing anyone was talking about?

“Who is your favourite hockey player of all time?”

Yes, really.

That was the question, based on a new lucrative contract signed by Edmonton Oilers’ phenom Connor McDavid – a story that came out two days ago!

Look, I know it’s a Friday in the summer and that the Talkback segment is generally filler at best. But really, if there was ever a time that a story screamed out for viewer reaction, the “Omar-My-God-They-Gave-Him-How-Much-Taxpayer-Money?” is the obvious choice. It's textbook producer 101 material. 

What’s next? Another 9/11 happens, and they’ll ask “What’s Your Favourite Colour?

If you’ve ever wondered why viewers are saying TV news is less and less relevant to them, this may be a perfect example of why.

July 7, 2017 1:59 pm  #2

Re: What Were They Thinking On CTV’s Noon News Friday?

Actually, I disagree with the first part of your statement. The Liberals will try (and have already done so by attempting to slough this off in early July, when they think no one is paying attention, a common political tactic) to have you forget about this, but there's no way the Conservatives will let the Canadian public do that.

And by the way, it wasn't a measly $10,000. It was $10 million and as a taxpayer, you paid for part of it. 

I heard one commentator on the radio this morning compare the payoff to the "Deal With The Devil" that set Karla Homolka free. It's been decades since that happened, yet we still hear about it and it still enrages Canadians. This isn't supposed to be a political forum, so I won't dwell on it except to say you haven't heard the end of this. Not by a long shot. This story has legs. And it will be walking all over Trudeau come the next election cycle. 

As for the topic CTV picked, need I point out it's July 7th. Beyond the Fan and TSN 1050, who talks hockey in the middle of the summer when the season is months away? 

I still maintain this was a really dumb decision on CTV's part, a gift from the "what are we gonna talk about today" gods. As someone who used to have to come up with these topics on a daily basis, I can tell you it's not always easy to find something that engages the listener/viewer so totally, especially in the middle of summer. And they ignored it. 

July 7, 2017 3:52 pm  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

It's only you inside media folk to notice what story follows the lead.

I think the viewers would notice the clunky switch in focus, even if they don't know exactly why it felt off. You don't have to be media folk to feel when something is tone deaf. Just like you don't need to know the term "fanned on the shot" in hockey, to know what happened when you see a player screw up  when they try to shoot the puck. A missed opportunity today for CTV and a dumb question, "favorite hockey player" indeed. A tad patronizing of them.

July 7, 2017 4:20 pm  #4

I haven't watched the noon news in years but don't they just air 2 or three calls on the given topic?

What is the average age of the callers they let through on the talkback segment?

Bet you dollars to doughnuts it's an older demographic that might say something that some might consider racially incendiary.

Nah, better stick to light topics for that sort of thing.

Personally, I have no opinion other than, this is what happens when you vote Liberal  Now live with it.

July 7, 2017 4:58 pm  #5

I used to use it as an example of how not to do topics with producers.  The choices are consistently as basic as possible.  "Sun or rain, which is better", "Vanilla or chocolate ice cream" etc.  I've never asked why, but my assumption would be, as has been suggested, the demo is a challenge in the first place.   Without being unnecessarily offensive, Unfortunately if you want great calls you need to rely on cellular, and that's not available to a noon tv show. 

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 7, 2017 5:00 pm  #6

Peter the K wrote:

I Bet you dollars to doughnuts it's an older demographic that might say something that some might consider racially incendiary.  Nah, better stick to light topics for that sort of thing. 

I believe the segment is taped while another segment is running live.  I remember one show they had problems with the recording and though they'd recorded it, it couldn't be aired.  That's how they get around the offensive stuff, with a 4.5 minute delay in place

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 7, 2017 8:35 pm  #7

I just checked their website and in fact they do have a Noon News.   What was even more surprising is that they have one at 6:00 pm as well.

July 8, 2017 6:01 am  #8

Peter the K wrote:

it's an older demographic that might say something that some might consider racially incendiary

don't trust anyone under thirty

July 8, 2017 6:58 am  #9

Charlie wrote:

Shocking!  CTV has a Noon News?!

It makes the CRTC happy.  
Each TV station has a local news quota fill.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.