sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2017 9:25 pm  #1

How CHUM Tried To Fend Off Can Con – And Failed

The Internet is an amazing place, where you can stumble upon just about anything. Which is how I accidentally found part of a Billboard story from June 28, 1969, detailing how CHUM’s legendary J. Robert Wood – and 11 other stations across the country – attempted to placate the CRTC so they wouldn’t put mandatory Can Con regs. on radio outlets across the country.

It didn’t work, of course, but the plan was for 12 stations in an initiative called "The Maple Leaf System" to start playing select Canadian artists and records on a regular basis, hoping the Commission would see that national music was getting exposure after all, and the regulations weren’t needed.

The initial stations involved were CHUM, Toronto; CKLG, Vancouver; CHED, Edmonton; CKXL, Calgary; CJME, Regina; CKOM, Saskatoon; CHLO, London; CKOC, Hamilton; CKPT, Peterborough; CFRA, Ottawa; CFOX, Montreal, and CJCH, Halifax, with a Winnipeg station expected to join later.

The most fascinating part of the article for me was the initial nine records that were being considered for the start of the campaign. See how many of these you recognize:

-"Hands of the Clock" (The Life),
-"Oh Deed I Do" (Elyse Weinberg),
-"Early Morning" (The Collectors),
-"When I Die" (Motherlode),
-"Pack It In" (Buckstone Hardware),
-"Lovin' Sound" (Five Man Electrical Band),
-"Good Morning" (The Sceptres),
-"I Want You" (Soundbox)
-"Laughing Song" (B. J. Bird).

“When I Die” was a big hit, of course. And I always liked “Hands Of The Clock,” although it’s likely most have never heard it. (Ironically, it was on the CKFH chart for a while, which is where I originally discovered it.)  

As for the others? They’re complete and utter mysteries to me and I’m betting to most of you, too. Obviously, the strategy wasn’t successful and the rules went into effect, if memory serves, around 1971.

By the way, there’s a chart underneath the second linked article titled “Billboard Canada’s Top Singles.” On this particular week, only two of the 20 listed would qualify as Can Con: “Baby I Love You” by Andy Kim at #9, and “Spinning Wheel,” by Blood, Sweat & Tears, which debuted at #16. The BS&T album, along with a Leonard Cohen and a Joni Mitchell entry, are the only ones on Billboard’s Canuck Album Chart.

Billboard Story: Canada Radio's Local Act Push Page 1

Billboard Story: 12 Canadian Top 40 Stations Begin Plan on Local Talent Page 2

July 4, 2017 9:52 pm  #2

Re: How CHUM Tried To Fend Off Can Con – And Failed

Here's another interesting Billboard blast from the past, this time from January 31, 1970, in a story titled "Group Cuts 1st CHUM Record." 

"The Tote Family has become the first group to cut a record for radio station CHUM. The Top 30 outlet recently announced its entry into the record and music publishing fields causing a state of concern with some record companies here. Title of the Tote Family release and the name of the record company which will distribute CHUM's initial product have not yet been announced. "

Anyone ever hear of "The Tote Family?" If it was on CHUM Records, you'd think they would have played it. But I can't find any evidence of it on YouTube or anywhere else.

CHUM's Planned Disk Move Draws Alarm & Attack

Also on that same page, there's this little blurb in the section titled "From The Music Capitals of the World."

Beatles' new disk "Let It Be" getting a world premiere on CKFH almost five weeks before the record gets its national release on Feb. 20.

I'm betting that did not sit well with CHUM

Billboard Canadian News Report, January 31, 1970

July 4, 2017 10:20 pm  #3

O.K., if you'll indulge me, one last one. Billboard used to have a section called Radio TV Mart, where DJs looking for work could place an ad. I found this intriguing one from the May 10, 1969 page.

Wait till you see who it's from: 

"Jack Armstrong, a wild type of deejay with personality -plus and zooming excitement on the air. Experience includes WIXY in Cleveland and CHUM in Toronto. Not inclined toward the "Drake" approach, but if you believe in letting a deejay be a deejay, then here's the perfect man for your Top 40 radio station. References available. Call: 416- 630-8155." 

I love the "not inclined toward the "Drake" approach" line.

July 5, 2017 4:14 am  #4

I love the term "deejay". Maybe that was the first cough of the canary in the coalmine, when we became "on-air personalities". (now I need to go listen to early Police. Word association....gotta love it.) 😎 I call this the Casey Neistat emogi.

July 5, 2017 8:04 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

-"Hands of the Clock" (The Life),
-"Oh Deed I Do" (Elyse Weinberg),
-"Early Morning" (The Collectors),
-"When I Die" (Motherlode),
-"Pack It In" (Buckstone Hardware),
-"Lovin' Sound" (Five Man Electrical Band),
-"Good Morning" (The Sceptres),
-"I Want You" (Soundbox)
-"Laughing Song" (B. J. Bird).

The Collectors went on to become Chilliwack.     Our board monitor likely remembers them from his days at 73-CKLG or at Oil Can Harrys on Thurlow St. and the Cave on Hornby St

July 5, 2017 10:52 am  #6

ONEIL wrote:

Thanks for posting the history behind it. It's been a very long time since I held a 45 record but I clearly remember the Maple Leaf on many of them.  I also recall that there was a circle or something like that that showed the amount of Can Con the record had.  

[img]https://img.discogs.com/SOvRoTLR9ab90EILuZIzdJAs1sg=/fit-in/600x601/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-8351751-1459910490-2860.jpeg.jpg[/img]

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 5, 2017 7:57 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

By the way, there’s a chart underneath the second linked article titled “Billboard Canada’s Top Singles.” On this particular week, only two of the 20 listed would qualify as Can Con: “Baby I Love You” by Andy Kim at #9, and “Spinning Wheel,” by Blood, Sweat & Tears, which debuted at #16. The BS&T album, along with a Leonard Cohen and a Joni Mitchell entry, are the only ones on Billboard’s Canuck Album Chart.

"Good Morning Starshine" also qualifies as Can Con, based on the music being written by Galt MacDermot.
I'll also mention (and you may already be aware of this) that "Hands Of The Clock" did make the CHUM Chart, albeit for only two weeks and peaking at #27. As far as I know, Life never got airplay on CHUM again until Roger Ashby played the song on the Sunday Morning Oldies Show. I like the song too. But the others (of course aside from "When I Die") are also completely unfamiliar to me.