sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2017 9:13 am  #1

80-Yr.-Old Cdn. Radio Legend Retiring After 64 Years On Air

Red Robinson, a Canadian radio legend who's spent his career in Vancouver, has finally picked an official retirement date. His last show will be broadcast over CISL 650 on August 27th, bringing to a close an on-air presence that's lasted an astounding 64 years.

The oldies station was recently purchased by Rogers and will be converted into another Sportsnet format in the fall, giving the 80-year-old the final push to finally hang up his headphones. There are very few in broadcasting anywhere in the world that can claim that kind of longevity. I've listened to a few of his shows and despite his age, he's still got it

There's a great article in the Vancouver Sun about his departure, but it's the pictures from his personal collection that are the highlight of the piece. You can see it here.

You can hear the final show live online next month at the CISL 650 website.

July 2, 2017 11:33 am  #2

Re: 80-Yr.-Old Cdn. Radio Legend Retiring After 64 Years On Air

Red also spent a few years in the U.S. and is still revered as a Portland Radio Legend by many who listened to him (and even watched him) on KGW Radio and TV in the late 1950s.

The beginning of the end came when KJR Seattle hired Red. Before arriving for his first day of work, he was drafted, but still managed some work at KMBY Monterey, California, while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.

When his military stint ended, he returned to CKWX Vancouver.

Asked about his move from CKWX to KGW, Red recently said it was about expanding his horizons to include television more than about the money.

On a personal note, I first heard Red in 1956 on an almost daily basis on the car (convertibles) radios of a couple of kids on 15th Avenue in East Burnaby where I lived.  He was still at CJOR back then.  It was not until 1962 when he moved to CFUN as Program Director and DJ that I began actively listening to Red.