sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2017 11:14 pm  #1

Z103.5 Blasts CRTC In Advance Of Station's Own Licence Renewal

Z103.5, aka CIDC-FM, the Evanov station in Orangeville, is apparently coming up for a licence renewal this week, even as the CRTC has repeatedly accused the owners of being in breach of their promise of performance. Judy Joo, the lawyer for the station group, issued a huge response to the Commission and while I won’t go through every part of this lengthy list of excuses, there are a few that are really eye opening.

The most obvious one from the regulator is that CIDC-FM isn’t really serving Orangeville – its area of licence - but aims to be a Toronto radio station. This is the old trick of getting a station near the GTA and then pretending you’re a T.O. outlet. Their response was very interesting. In essence they claim their signal doesn’t really make it into the city proper, and therefore they’re not competing as a Toronto station. Does anyone buy that for even a moment?

The CRTC also noted a distinct lack of Orangeville mentions in their IDs and branding, You gotta love their answer, which is that CFMJ (AM640) is actually licenced to Richmond Hill, CFNY belongs to Brampton and Q-107 is really supposed to be a North York outlet. How come they don’t have to I.D. themselves as such?

And then there’s my favourite, in which the Commission notes that CIDC doesn’t seem to be doing a lot of Orangeville traffic and news, as mandated by their licence. How do they get around that one? Get a load of this:

“The Community should not be subject to limited news, sports and events strictly restricted to Orangeville, as the community is made up of non-residents who work in Orangeville, those who reside in Orangeville (and work outside Orangeville), those who work and reside in Orangeville, and those who visit or travel through Orangeville. Furthermore, the nature of our format is not news or spoken word heavy, it’s Top-40 music centered.”

They go on to claim that since Orangeville doesn’t suffer from the same kinds of traffic woes that plague Toronto, there’s no need for “constant up-to-the-minute reporting,” and since most cars are heading out of the town towards T.O., it’s only natural they’d report more on city traffic than local problems.

They also bitterly complain about MyFM getting an Orangeville licence, noting they’re struggling to survive as it is. And they deny they weren’t playing enough CanCon.

But I’ve saved the best for last. In a final statement, Joo blasts the CRTC for its criticisms. Here's a partial transcript, in its full glory. Feel free to add your own violin music.

“CIDC-FM appears to be held to a different standard than its competing broadcasters…Throughout the licence term…the Commission’s treatment towards us has been, in our view, an ongoing issue for us and in fact, has been the reason for the debilitating present state of CIDC-FM…

We applied for a new frequency and even a signal expansion. [Editor’s note: why do you need a signal expansion if you claim you’re only serving Orangeville? But it goes on.] For both these respective efforts, the Commission denied us on all fronts, without precedential reasons…

CIDC-FM has consistently tried to make lemonade out of each and every bitter lemon that has come down the pike during its history.”

Ouch! Maybe someone should tell the folks at Evanov that insulting the very people you’re dependent on for a renewal isn’t the smartest strategy!

July 2, 2017 12:38 am  #2

Re: Z103.5 Blasts CRTC In Advance Of Station's Own Licence Renewal

yes, poor them.

July 2, 2017 6:13 am  #3

I am not a fan or supporter of the CRTC, which is composed of far too many 1/2 milers and toadies who way too often seem to out-shout the thinkers who possess some actual foresight there, and, in doing so, deny the supposed independent authority from being effective and meaningful.   And while they seldom stick to their decisions and REALLY look out for the best interests of the public or potential listening audiences but, instead, kowtow to the whims, desires and demands of the so-called big broadcast companies while only barely making it look like they're governing the whole enchilada...well...they disappoint to say the least.  THAT said though... ... ...

These Orangeville license holders are twits and fools.  It's nincompoops like THIS who make it difficult for potential smaller market hopefuls to get their own balls rolling because the commission is mindful of the likelihood for the abuse of the PROMISE of performance.  Local radio is key and important.  BUT, that said, and while it's necessary and meaningful, the rewards can come at a somewhat slower return.  Still...the return is there.  Local can pound the living daylights out of regional.  You just have to spend a little more than the bare minimum...and profit a little bit less.  Over time you make your point, score your audience and sales will become an easier order of business.  As will profits.  To take the easy way by trying to run an 'end-around' seldom will get you to that same comfortable finish line and loyalties from advertisers and listeners alike will be harder to come by and subsequently maintain.

Ethics.  If you make it plain that you don't have ANY...'it' will be a much harder hill to climb.  And that really has nothing to do with the CRTC who continually suggest through their own actions and decisions that they don't, themselves, operate with them clearly in the forefront.  But the folks one would want to listen and the people one would hope might advertise often DO operate their day to day existence with ethical precision.  They'll see through you and you'll be toast anyway.

Might as well give up the license/ghost now. 

The commission should stick a fork in it.

Last edited by Old Codger (July 2, 2017 6:18 am)

July 2, 2017 6:25 am  #4

What ever happened to the saying "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"? 
CRTC feeds Evanov group a broadcast licence and they go and bite the CRTC's hand!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 2, 2017 3:47 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

What ever happened to the saying "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"? 
CRTC feeds Evanov group a broadcast licence and they go and bite the CRTC's hand!

Ted Rogers, Jr. was famous for his tirades at CRTC Hearings; at least from the late 1990s transcripts I've read, he still should be.

But that was Then and this is Now, not to mention the size of Rogers versus Evanov.  Today's CRTC has stood up to these kind of arguments, nationally, such as Aboriginal Voices Radio, locally, like the last owner of a radio station on Saltspring Island in B.C., and even cross-border, going after Canadians running U.S. stations serving Canadian listeners.

I cannot see this ending well for Evanov.

July 3, 2017 2:39 am  #6

CIDC was already denied "Technical changes". It will be interesting to see how the renewal process turns out for them... 
>> http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2016/2016-74.htm <<

July 3, 2017 12:01 pm  #7

To be clear... I am not a supporter of the CRTC in the least.  I find them to be over reaching, outdated, and in need of a scaled back mandate..

But my comments on this...

If the licence is not renewed... This would nothing short of Karma coming back to bite them.  I can tell you their signal isn't strong in downtown and will give them credit there..  They are part of the Toronto CMA to my knowledge so again... I don't think it matters at this point if they are focused on Toronto or Orangeville...  The listeners don't care either way.

July 3, 2017 12:45 pm  #8

Q107 was never a 'North York' station. Dolts.  When Q moved out of 2 Bloor, The studios were moved to North York because Q is Toronto, and 640 is Richmond Hill, and this put the studios bang between the two.

Interestingly no mention of their Newmarket station, CKAN, or CKDX or whatever it is now.  Much like Ben Johnson quickly became Jamaican and not Canadian after the medal fiasco, watch how quickly CKDX and CIDC become Newmarket and Orangeville sticks if they ever get a serious chance at a second 'true' Toronto frequency.

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 3, 2017 4:23 pm  #9

ig wrote:

Interestingly no mention of their Newmarket station, CKAN, or CKDX or whatever it is now.  Much like Ben Johnson quickly became Jamaican and not Canadian after the medal fiasco, watch how quickly CKDX and CIDC become Newmarket and Orangeville sticks if they ever get a serious chance at a second 'true' Toronto frequency.

ig.

Dufferin already tried to claim Orangeville as their own -  twice -  with interventions opposing new stations for MyFM Orangeville and Bayshore Shelburne.  They also opposed a new entrant in Georgina, stating their Newmarket station provided adequate local reflection.

July 3, 2017 5:24 pm  #10

ig wrote:

It's always been CKDX in Evanov hands. (Currently Jewel 88.5)
I think the last time it was CKAN it was an AM station.
The reason why there is no mention is because there is no need to drag that station into this at all.
Listen to their morning news some time. It covers Newmarket and area quite well.