sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2017 10:19 pm  #1

A radio station just discovered Annie Lennox

In the Summer of '86 I was op'ing overnights @ LG in Vancouver, and we used to get dozens of calls for 'that new Beatles song' from the Ferris Bueller movie.   At least I knew it wasn't new..   This is up there with a newscaster in the middle of a story stumbling on "Die Fin Baker".   Unfortunately the only thing that creates experience is a combination of time..  and experience..   I know.. I know..  kids today .   Poor Kylie..

[Via THV11]

f Annie Lennox plays her cards right, she could have a successful music career.

The former Eurythmics singer -- who has won four Grammys, an Oscar and a Golden Globe for her music -- posted an unsolicited letter she received from a radio station employee in Los Angeles who clearly had never heard of her.

Lennox posted the letter -- with certain information blacked out -- to her Facebook page, along with the joking comment, "I think I'm in with a chance ??!!!"

The station's new music coordinator, Kylie, wrote that she "came across Lennox's music online" and "really like what I heard." Kylie then asked Lennox to send over an MP3 of her new single, which she'll share with the station's program director.

"I only ask because we are connected to an artist development firm that can also get you onto 150 radio stations worldwide and provide support for press, video, retail, and licensing," Kylie continued. "The best part is, if they really like your music, they'll cover all of the marketing expenses."

Lennox was awarded an OBE in 2011.

more...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 1, 2017 10:33 pm  #2

Re: A radio station just discovered Annie Lennox

They should make the Eurythmics' track "Who's That Girl" as her theme song

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 2, 2017 12:52 am  #3

I read another article about Annie Lennox and the radio station "discovering" her. The Jezebel article reported​ Ms. Lennox cautioning music artists about a popular scam where they email you, and for a fee upfront, will upload your music to a streaming site etc. Apparently, she's received lots of these offers. This reminds me of that want ad that ran in Toronto in the 90's. The one where you'd call and record your voice to see if you had what it took to "be a broadcaster"! Then the NBS ( I think ) would call you back and expect you to cough up money for "expert training". A scam's a scam in any decade.

July 2, 2017 1:56 am  #4

betaylored wrote:

Then the NBS ( I think ) would call you back...

NIB. National institute of broadcasting. 
https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/national-institute-of-broadcasting-toronto-ontario-c313567.html

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 2, 2017 6:30 am  #5

Today's youth aren't simpletons.  They do have discerning tastes in all things.  They can only choose, though, from that to which they've been exposed.  Over these past 20 some-odd years 'hit' radio has limited their collective playlists to a colossal amount of pure unadulterated dreck.  Payola MUST be in affect GIGANTIC-time.

Music used to evolve...and grow...and improve.  It didn't just sit and stagnate like some rotting corpse with no sense of purpose and direction.  From 1963 to 1969 The Beatles went from She Loves You...ya, ya, ya to Sgt Peppers to Abbey Road.  The Beach Boys went from Surfin USA to Good Vibrations in less than 4 years.  Now?  Top 30 music just repeats and repeats and repeats with puke inducing hollowness and numbing sameness.  It's been that way since the 90s.

It ain't Kylie's fault that she has only just found Annie.  ***WE*** hid her from sight.

Last edited by Old Codger (July 2, 2017 6:31 am)

July 2, 2017 9:39 am  #6

Of course, it's not Kylie's fault that she just discovered Annie Lennox.

In the past few weeks, just going down the YouTube rabbit hole I've "discovered" a few amazing musical acts including Pinetop Perkins, Venus Hum/Annette Strean, Haley Reinhart and Big Mike Geier.  In every case though, all it took was a simple google search to find out who an amazing amount of information about these people.

Would it not make sense that the Kylie would have used the same tools to get Lennox's contact information?  (There goes the cynic in me again.)

Kylie's problem is that she assumed that since she never heard of Annie Lennox, no one else has.  

Now time to enjoy me some Sunday morning "Pinetop".  A discovery that took me too long to find.

July 2, 2017 12:16 pm  #7

Thanks Radiowiz, for the correct acronym. With all the newer ones being used ( NSFW, ICYMI, IRL ) these days, it can get confusing AF.😎

July 2, 2017 2:57 pm  #8

A third article on my Google newsfeed has quoted part of the email, with mention of "program director Glenn" as if having the two n's on Glenn will somehow convince us. As Bugs Bunny would say, "It is to laugh."

July 3, 2017 10:11 pm  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

It's pretty much just a spam comment.

There's no actual radio station or person behind that email. 

This is correct. Not a radio story.

July 4, 2017 11:33 am  #10

This is a really good example of how the whole "fake news" thing works.

While it is indeed true about Ms. Lennox getting the letter, what almost all these articles failed to mention is that in her facebook post about the letter, Ms. Lennox goes on to say that this is a scam e-mail, just one of many she receives each month, trying to get eager new musical talent to part with their money for a quicker road to fame.

She was trying to show this particular letter as an example so others wouldn't fall for the scam.

But, alas, the true story doesn't really make a good news item and as a result, it just caused me to unnecessarily fortify my low opinion of millennials in general.  Oh well, even this old dog can learn a few new tricks.

Now time for some more Pinetop.

Last edited by Peter the K (July 4, 2017 11:34 am)