sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2017 11:25 am  #1

High Paying Broadcasting Job Opens – But Would You Want It?

David Farrell’s FYIMusicNews.ca has a long Media Beat column on Wednesday that's devoted to only one thing – reprinting the announcement of the opening of several positions at the CBC. One of them is for President of the entire Corporation.

The salary range is listed as between $371,200-436,700 a year, although I’m not sure how they decide whether the applicant gets the low range or the higher one.  And what do you have to do to earn that princely sum? Among the duties listed is to ensure the CBC “remains relevant to the next generation of Canadians and creators…The President is accountable to Canadians for providing a high level of public service from coast to coast to coast.”

Yeah, good luck with that. I very much doubt the “next generation” ever listens to or watches the CBC, let alone cares about it.

But wait there’s more! If you can’t do a full time gig, there’s a part time Chairperson position open. (How can a chairperson position be part time? Well, it IS the CBC, so anything is possible.) This one will net you a paltry $14,500-17,100 for your trouble, and you must “ensure good value for public funds, and hold management accountable for its performance.”

It’s about time someone started doing that!

One last note: the chairperson’s opening gets a per diem spending “limit” of between $565-665. I can’t remember the last time I spent $500 in a single 24 hour period, let alone get that perq every single day.

Want to apply? Hurry! The deadline for the former is 11:59 PM on August 15th, while the part timer has to have the form in by the same time on July 11th.

There are also some part time Directors positions available, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out exactly what they’re supposed to be doing. Which is the one job I would be qualified for. If there’s no indication of what the thing is, you can’t ever be accused of doing it wrong!

See the full list here.

June 28, 2017 12:24 pm  #2

Re: High Paying Broadcasting Job Opens – But Would You Want It?

RadioActive wrote:

One last note: the chairperson’s opening gets a per diem spending “limit” of between $565-665. I can’t remember the last time I spent $500 in a single 24 hour period, let alone get that perq every single day.

is this an Expense Account or is it the part-time Chairperson's remuneration, depending on no. of days "worked"?     

June 28, 2017 12:28 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

David Farrell’s FYIMusicNews.ca has an entire Media Beat column on Wednesday that's devoted to only one thing – reprinting the announcement of the opening of several positions at the CBC. One of them is for President of the entire Corporation.

The salary range is listed as between $371,200-436,700 a year, although I’m not sure how they decide whether the applicant gets the low range or the higher one.  And what do you have to do to earn that princely sum? Among the duties listed is to ensure the CBC “remains relevant to the next generation of Canadians and creators…The President is accountable to Canadians for providing a high level of public service from coast to coast to coast.”

Yeah, good luck with that. I very much doubt the “next generation” ever listens to or watches the CBC, let alone cares about it.

But wait there’s more! If you can’t do a full time gig, there’s a part time Chairperson position open. (How can a chairperson position be part time? Well, it IS the CBC, so anything is possible.) This one will net you a paltry $14,500-17,100 for your trouble, and you must “ensure good value for public funds, and hold management accountable for its performance.”

It’s about time someone started doing that!

Want to apply? Hurry! The deadline for the former is 11:59 PM on August 15th, while the part timer has to have the form in by the same time on July 11th.

There are also some part time Directors positions available, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out exactly what they’re supposed to be doing. Which is the one job I would be qualified for. If there’s no indication of what the thing is, you can’t ever be accused of doing it wrong!

See the full list here.

Personal Attributes

• High ethical standards and integrity (I could never belong to a group whose standards are low enough to admit me)
  • Tact and diplomacy (sometimes, and never before my first coffee)
  • Sound judgment (rarely)
  • Strategic thinker (you have to think?)
  • Superior interpersonal skills (the more I drink)
  • Collegiality (see above)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 28, 2017 1:01 pm  #4

In 1993, Erik Peters, at the time a V.P. at the CBC, and possibly in a good position to take over the big cheese post, instead became the Provincial Auditor. Smart career move, maybe? I think the money was better!

Last edited by betaylored (June 29, 2017 4:57 pm)

June 28, 2017 8:16 pm  #5

Is that competitive with leadership salaries at our other national media companies?