sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Thu Jun 15 4:37 pm  #1

Where's Saul?

Not that I particularly miss them, but it occurred to me today that I haven't heard an ad for Korry's in a while.
After the campaign debacle featuring that idiot 'Fred', they tapered off, now they've kind of disappeared, at least on the usual stations where they were ubiquitous.  Where's Saaaaullllll Korman?

Thu Jun 15 4:42 pm  #2

Re: Where's Saul?

I recently heard him (within the past two weeks) voicing a "spot". 

Thu Jun 15 5:04 pm  #3

1) Who cares? 2) Good riddance. 3) He voiced a spot on RB yesterday. 4) Who cares? 5) He's slightly less irritating than that English-language masquerading Tom Mihalik. 

Thu Jun 15 6:23 pm  #4

cGrant wrote:

1) Who cares? 2) Good riddance. 3) He voiced a spot on RB yesterday. 4) Who cares? 5) He's slightly less irritating than that English-language masquerading Tom Mihalik. 

What, you don't find Tom's ramblings 'Spec-tac-luar' and 'Fab-lu-ous'?

Thu Jun 15 6:32 pm  #5

Charlie wrote:

cGrant wrote:

What, you don't find Tom's ramblings 'Spec-tac-luar' and 'Fab-lu-ous'?

I'd rather get a prostate exam by Wolverine without any lube than listen to him. Even Mary Tyler John Moore is obviously uninterested when he introduces him.

Thu Jun 15 6:46 pm  #6

I may be the only one here, but I like Saul's ads...I find him positive and I think he has been a super promoter of his store, the Danforth and a great long time friend of radio advertising...which pays for those that work in the business...

He is in his 80's now, so who knows how long he will be chiming in on the Fan's morning show, with this, "Sauuuul Korman, 569 Danforth Ave...I gotta thank Gervais Rentals and the Palace restaurant...". I will miss these ads when he is not able to do them any more...

But, he has been on talking it up about his golf tournament.

I also like Tommy Shmommy on the Jazz Fm morning show too..I find him funny and again, a big friend of radio and a super promoter...

These 2 are classic retailers and are just doing their best to survive in an ever changing retail world...(just ask Sears who is about to pack it in and Gymboree, who is closing it's stores due to the power of online retail orders).

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

Fri Jun 16 4:04 am  #7

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I may be the only one here, but I like Saul's ads...I find him positive and I think he has been a super promoter of his store, the Danforth and a great long time friend of radio advertising...which pays for those that work in the business...

He is in his 80's now, so who knows how long he will be chiming in on the Fan's morning show, with this, "Sauuuul Korman, 569 Danforth Ave...I gotta thank Gervais Rentals and the Palace restaurant...". I will miss these ads when he is not able to do them any more...

But, he has been on talking it up about his golf tournament.

I also like Tommy Shmommy on the Jazz Fm morning show too..I find him funny and again, a big friend of radio and a super promoter...

These 2 are classic retailers and are just doing their best to survive in an ever changing retail world...(just ask Sears who is about to pack it in and Gymboree, who is closing it's stores due to the power of online retail orders).

Personally, I'd rather hear ramblings from Saul OR Tommy Tommy of all Tommies than those inane Ford Service spots.  The one with the guy hiccuping all the way through it may be the most annoying radio commercial ever.

Fri Jun 16 7:37 am  #8

I'd much rather hear a local proprietor voicing his (or her) own spot than some large corporate conglomerate hiring professional people.  

Fri Jun 16 10:07 am  #9

Saul Korman has been a decades long supporter of radio.  While I'm personally NOT in favour of owners voicing their own spots (having spent many, many hours recording far too many inarticulate car dealers during my Production Manager years at CHUM), Saul is unique.  No one knows more about his business and he's truly passionate about and proud of his store.    

Fri Jun 16 11:15 am  #10

Saul is a man who recognizes the value in personal messages to his clientele. But the fact that's often overlooked is he continually promotes the other business owners on the Danforth.  I've heard many of his spots that are totally about the Danforth...no sell on his product line at all.  I shopped there years ago and had a long conversation with him about his rationale regarding advertising. The main take away was just get the "Brand" out there as often as you can. He started on late evening TV but changed to radio after Moores began advertising in his preferred time slots.  

You may not like "client voiced" spots but you have to admire his passion.

Fri Jun 16 11:33 am  #11

I admire his suits.