sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 4, 2017 10:26 am  #1

Back In The Saddle Again??

After a late night visit to this board last night I retired and then  dreamt of being back in the business again...

Is  there something wrong here??

Should I seek professional help??

And do folks still in the business ever dream of doing something else?? 

June 4, 2017 7:14 pm  #2

Re: Back In The Saddle Again??

I still have nightmares of being in the booth 10 seconds to air with no script and no idea what I'm about to say.

June 6, 2017 7:42 pm  #3

maybo wrote:

I still have nightmares of being in the booth 10 seconds to air with no script and no idea what I'm about to say.

Queue up and play 'Thick as a Brick'. While it spins, walk to the lobby, take off all your silly clothes, and think things out.

June 6, 2017 9:57 pm  #4

maybo wrote:

I thought I was the only one with that problem!

June 6, 2017 10:14 pm  #5

My recurring nightmare - and I've actually had this one - is slightly different. A song is about to end and suddenly absolutely nothing in the control room is working - not the board, not the mic, not the cart machines (this is a retro nightmare, pre-computerized everything) not even the phone to call engineering. We're about to have dead air and there's no way to prevent it.

And then, all you hear is carrier as the station goes eerily quiet and I wake up in a cold sweat.

(Yeah, I know-  how is that last song playing when nothing else works? And why not just hit it again if you're that desperate? But this is a nightmare and there IS no logic!) 

June 6, 2017 11:10 pm  #6

Ya...I used to have nightmares about CHUM specifically.  Same thing...dead air...none of the equipment working...and for some reason me in my effin' pyjamas all of the Gee-dee'd time.  Jimmy Waters was not at all pleased yet sooner or later I'd be back...and, of course, subsequently having darned close to the same dream all over again.  Sometimes I'd just not bother to go back to work.  But 5 - 6 months later...they'd hire me again and poof....Groundhog Day.

Anyway I actually did retire.  [well before Maybo I might add.  He was way too good to retire too early.]  Winters were boring.  Decided to try that radio thing again...as I was tired of not needing to really know what day it was.  THAT bugged the crap out of me.

So I found a company that actually CARES about the community.  Believe it or not there still are 1 or 2 of them.  Otherwise why the %*&^ bother?  No reason I can think of.  I might make it to 50 years if my lungs don't give out on me.  COPD sucks gigantic hair-encrusted turds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And no you young whipper-snappers...COPD is not a radio sation in either the Bell or the Rogers netwroks.

Last edited by Old Codger (June 6, 2017 11:26 pm)